Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    You dog! I bet you would.

Good luck with that
    Poppy will you be my anal girl?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    ...it would probably point to her being an SFP if anything, since INFPs are also known as "head in the clouds," ...

...In any case, it's too minor and too specific a detail...

...I won't even address the birth order thing because I think it's BS. And even if it weren't, we don't know her birth order anyway so we couldn't even begin to apply it in a way that would be useful to this conversation...

My 2 cents.
    I appreciate the opportunity to hear from a female INTP (I assume) since I don't know any irl. The male INTPs I know in real life don't seem to have anywhere near the same vibe I picked up from this character so I was reaching for a connection that matches my personal interactions.

Quote 1:
    SFP if anything -- now who's being a bit narrow. I know several INFP females and by extrapolating their differences, I can see the Summer character fitting that type.

Quote 2:
    Just because I am using a detail to make an observation doesn't mean I am being minor and specific in my observation. I am not. But time and space necessarily limit how may details are expressed to postulate a trend.

Quote 3:
    I found a pretty good theory on the birth order subject that I find useful in filling in gaps of human behavior where cognitive functions fall short. You might check it out.

If you look at the Jungian cognitive functions as a system for understanding preferences for how the mind works, the parallel is looking at birth order as a system for understanding how behavior is affected by coping mechanisms developed in childhood. I think the enneagram and another system I've studied look at things more from the angle of an archetypal spiritual motivation.

i.e. the way we think, the way subconscious coping mechanisms modify our behavior, the underlying motivations of our spirit.

Since a literary character is not a real person, it can end up being a mish-mash (even an inconsistent mish-mash) of characteristics -- and the Summer character may be just that. But I think she is a plausible INFP.

I'd like to know a number of female INTPs to understand them (as a group) better than I do.

As an INTJ, I identified with the INFJ, Tom, in some ways. Esp. the Ni expression of his character. But I am no INFJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Erudur View Post
    I appreciate the opportunity to hear from a female INTP (I assume) since I don't know any irl. The male INTPs I know in real life don't seem to have anywhere near the same vibe I picked up from this character so I was reaching for a connection that matches my personal interactions.
    TBH, you probably wouldn't get the same vibe from me, either. I'm much more close to the typical INTP nerd than Summer seems to be.

Quote 1:
    SFP if anything -- now who's being a bit narrow. I know several INFP females and by extrapolating their differences, I can see the Summer character fitting that type.
    Don't misrepresent what I said. I never said she was an SFP because of her apparent focus on dressing nice. I said that if we were to fit that kind of a detail into a type stereotype, then it would be SFP, not NFP.

Quote 2:
    Just because I am using a detail to make an observation doesn't mean I am being minor and specific in my observation. I am not. But time and space necessarily limit how may details are expressed to postulate a trend.
    A trend? What trend? All you did was say that she was more socially graceful than you think INTPs would be, and that she had more "stylistic acuity" than you would expect INTPs to have. Therefore she is more like an INFP.

You didn't say why she was more INFP, all you said were that these two relatively unrelated, isolated details made her NOT an INTP.

Quote 3:
    I found a pretty good theory on the birth order subject that I find useful in filling in gaps of human behavior where cognitive functions fall short. You might check it out.

If you look at the Jungian cognitive functions as a system for understanding preferences for how the mind works, the parallel is looking at birth order as a system for understanding how behavior is affected by coping mechanisms developed in childhood. I think the enneagram and another system I've studied look at things more from the angle of an archetypal spiritual motivation.

i.e. the way we think, the way subconscious coping mechanisms modify our behavior, the underlying motivations of our spirit.
    Okay, but like I said, interesting though that may be, it is irrelevant to this conversation because of the fact that we don't know Summer's birth order. The most we could do is speculate about what order her characteristics seem to line up with most. And that tells us nothing about her type, which is the topic of this thread.

Since a literary character is not a real person, it can end up being a mish-mash (even an inconsistent mish-mash) of characteristics -- and the Summer character may be just that. But I think she is a plausible INFP.
    I think the inconsistent mishmash is most likely the case with her character. As to her being INFP, I'd like to know why you think she's INFP before I consider that a plausible option. I mean, outside of the trend you posited with one detail. We need warrant! All you've got are some (arguably weak) grounds. Give us warrant!

As an INTJ, I identified with the INFJ, Tom, in some ways. Esp. the Ni expression of his character. But I am no INFJ.
    There seems to be something of a consensus on Tom's type.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Just saw this movie and loved it! I'd agree with Summer being INTP and Tom being INFJ. Summer could be closer to xNTP, though.

As an aside, I thought Tom was adorable, and I could very much relate to Summer. I liked that Summer was complex and not just all perfect-girl all the time, too. Adored Tom's dance sequence.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Just recently the movie showed up on the net so I could rewatch it. I've seen it before and I was going to post back then but I missed alot of the movie when I was in the theatre.

When I saw the movie, Summer is probably the closest fictional character that I saw myself in. However, it's probably only our ideas or state of minds, I agree with her on wanting adventure, unromantic, not wanting to be anybody's anybody, acts like a guy, ect.

I'd probably be calling out PENIS on a daily basis however.
    I act like a drunk McKenzie (The dude who got drunk and threatened to light the place on fire) more on a regular basis. (And I rarely get that drunk!)

As for the "private world that only few get to see" I don't think I have a private world. (Or maybe I do, I'm just not aware of it because I don't encounter the "private world" on a regular basis so I have no realization of what I want to keep hidden) Sure I have a secret or two of something I regret but there's nothing I want to put in my personal home (I don't see the point) or keep hidden. Everybody I know knows the type of person I am. I would not mind talking about my dreams/ambitions/thoughts ect to anybody who's interested/asks. That's the biggest/main difference between me and Summer.

I do see her as a remsemblance to some INTP girls I know. So, yeah, I'm going to have to go with INTP aswell.
    I like Thirty-eights revolving like the sun round the Earth.

Why is Tom a J?

Summer: INTP
    Tom: INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

...What if neither of them are Ns?

<suspense>

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote 3:
    Where could I check this out?

I loved this movie. I see Summer as being more of an ENTP than an INTP. The INTPs I know seem way less Fe than Summer.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Adored Tom's dance sequence.
    Best part of the movie.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Though it's been said, she's probably an INTP.

Zooey Deschanel usually portrays INTP characters. Or at least some kind of NT.