• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
she has never deeply connected with another person. and she is afraid of taking risks in which she would get hurt. she has no support structure and feels very alone. she has a beautiful vision and amazing imagination, but no outlet until she has her epiphany. this jostles her and moves her into more and more challenging situations, in which she finally meets someone with whom she can tango HER way, which involves connecting with N, Fe, and Ti before the prerequisites for Se are completed.

I think the same thing can be argued in favor of FiNe. You forget Fi can be terribly singular at times, too, and only with the aid of Ne are we more capable of moving out of the rigidity of our dominant function and exploring and seizing opportunities.

i'm curious why everyone immediately disregarded amelie as a sensing type versus an intuitive type. although i can validly see her as an INFP or an INFJ... i just wondered why ISFP was never a consideration. she seeks many of life's little pleasures: skips stones, takes in the sites and smells of paris, photographs the clouds, gets pleasure from sinking her hand into the bag of beans... she's also a little deviant with those she considers to be of lower moral standing. she enjoys people watching and inquiring. sure, she retreats into her imagination, but she also knows how to live in the present and enjoys life's little treats.

No, she's definitely N. The whole point of the story is that she's so stuck in her own head, dreaming of relationships between people & her own with Nino, that she never takes any action towards building these relationships for herself outside of her imagination. She's clearly starved for human interaction & contact (the first 20-25 minutes of the movie was spent outlining her early childhood for exactly that reason) but also seems paralyzed by the possibility of rejection if she were to pursue them.

I can't speak for INFJs, but this is a very common frustration for the INFP (or at least for this INFP). We dream and fantasize constantly about people and their relationships yet we have no clue how to interact with real people. INFJs have more finesse in this area. Fe usually makes them less awkward. Which is why personally I think she's INFP.

INFJ 9w1 Sp/Sx?

I agree with the 9w1 sp/sx part.

4w5 sp/so could fit as well:

Enneatype Four | Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I can't speak for INFJs, but this is a very common frustration for the INFP (or at least for this INFP). We dream and fantasize constantly about people and their relationships yet we have no clue how to interact with real people. INFJs have more finesse in this area. Fe usually makes them less awkward. Which is why personally I think she's INFP.

The things described here applies to many INFJ's as well

I still stand by my theory, that she is INFP as a child and INFJ as an adult.

N

NPcomplete

Amelie reminds me a lot of my sister (an INFJ): the loneliness, the need to make everyone happy, the avenging-let's-fight-for-the-defenceless side, the fear of interacting with people..I'm glad our parents aren't anything like hers.

Moreover, since Amelie was an only child and her mother was dead, she would have had to invent stories to keep herself entertained. My sister and I invented (and still do) a lot of stories/fantasy worlds to keep ourselves entertained.

I don't know enough about typing to type the other characters.

Addendum: There's also not enough of the other characters to get enough evidence. I wonder if the glass man is a wisened INFX..

Sunny Ghost

I think the same thing can be argued in favor of FiNe. You forget Fi can be terribly singular at times, too, and only with the aid of Ne are we more capable of moving out of the rigidity of our dominant function and exploring and seizing opportunities.

No, she's definitely N. The whole point of the story is that she's so stuck in her own head, dreaming of relationships between people & her own with Nino, that she never takes any action towards building these relationships for herself outside of her imagination. She's clearly starved for human interaction & contact (the first 20-25 minutes of the movie was spent outlining her early childhood for exactly that reason) but also seems paralyzed by the possibility of rejection if she were to pursue them.

I agree with the 9w1 sp/sx part.

4w5 sp/so could fit as well:
To me, that sounds more like Fi than Fi/Ne. Maybe it's because I am a 4w5, but I can relate to the bolded. Especially in my childhood up to my early twenties. I'm certain I've spoken with other ISFP's who could relate to that statement as well. Maybe the 4w5 ISFP's are just more like INFP's.

I'm really late on my reply. ha.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just watched this again on netflix last night. Perhaps one of my favorite films of all time.

Amelie is 100% INFP, I'm not sure how people are coming up with INFJ for that character
The rest of the characters are more or less general stereotypes...yes, the character development in this film isn't all that deep, but that's not the point...they are all there as foils to help amelie's character develop and grow. That said...

The Narrator: :shrug: INFJ?
Nino: Most likely IFP
Raphael (Amelie's Father): ISTJ or quite possibly an unhealthy ITP
Serge (The "Glass" Man): INJ
Amandine (Amelie's Mother): ISTJ?

Maybe I'll do the other characters later.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Amelie - INFJ 9w1 sp/sx. INFP isn't a ridiculous typing, but she seems soooo N-dom to me, with auxiliary Feeling. I think Audrey Tautou (a probable real-life INFP) gives the character a whimsical, playful INFP vibe.
Nino - xNFP or ISFP. definitely either 7w6 or 9.
Raphael Poulain - ISTJ in SiFi loop
Amandine Poulain - ISTJ
Lucien - ISFP
Georgette (the hypochondriac) - ISFJ
Joseph - ESTx or EnTJ

á´…eparted

passages
Amelie is an INFP through and through in every regard. I don't get how this is even up for discussion. The entire movie is an absolutely beautiful example of Fi/Ne at its best.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I wonder if the mistyping Amelie as INFJ goes hand in hand with the supposed large amount of INFPs who type themselves as INFJ.

segovois

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Amélie : INFJ 9w1 Sp/Sx
Amandine (mother) : ESTJ 8w9 So/Sx
Raphael (father) : ISTJ 6w5 Sp/So
Nino : INFP 9w1 Sp/Sx
Collognon (vegetable seller) : ESTJ 3w2 So/Sp
Georgette (tabacco seller) : ESFP 4w3 So/Sx
Joseph (jalouse one) : ISFJ 6w5 Sx/Sp
Lucien (handicapped person) : ISFP 9w8 So/Sp
Madeleine (crying neighbour) : ESFP 2w3 Sx/So
Raymond (the painter) : ENFP 7w6 Sx/So

See all my typings here : http://mbti-databank.com/index.php?page=prech&rech=poulain

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm i still think amelie is far too dreamy-eyed and unambitious to be INFJ. she's so silly and quirky in an Ne way and lonerish to a degree I have never seen an INFJ be.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
she doesn't just help others.

she has never deeply connected with another person. and she is afraid of taking risks in which she would get hurt. she has no support structure and feels very alone. she has a beautiful vision and amazing imagination, but no outlet until she has her epiphany. this jostles her and moves her into more and more challenging situations, in which she finally meets someone with whom she can tango HER way, which involves connecting with N, Fe, and Ti before the prerequisites for Se are completed.

for infjs connecting and extraverting lean far more heavily on Fe than Se. that is how they communicate first and foremost. and with the guy she meets, she finally realizes she with him she CAN.

hmm i still think amelie is far too dreamy-eyed and unambitious to be INFJ. she's so silly and quirky in an Ne way and lonerish to a degree I have never seen an INFJ be.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
she doesn't just help others.

for infjs connecting and extraverting lean far more heavily on Fe than Se. that is how they communicate first and foremost. and with the guy she meets, she finally realizes she with him she CAN.

hmm i still think amelie is far too dreamy-eyed and unambitious to be INFJ. she's so silly and quirky in an Ne way and lonerish to a degree I have never seen an INFJ be. INFJs are less socially awkward than INFPs and push themselves to interact far more---even if they have had terrible childhoods or trauma in their past which led them to untrust ppl

everything you said in your first paragraph can be applied to INFPs as well, but to a greater5 degree. i think Amelie's imagination is so whimsical in a way INFPs' are most apt to be.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me too. I just watched it again last night. I think she's an INFJ because she gets a lot of enjoyment from the small things in life that everyone else fails to notice. Also she is busy throughout the film interacting in people's lives around her to make them better, but in an indirect way so that they're not aware of her influence. This seems *very* INFJ to me.

hmm i think INFPs notice the little things as well. the indirectness seems more Fi than Fe to me. Fe is far more direct.