• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mad Men

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
What is this??! No Mad Men thread?

OK I guess I'll just have to start one :smile:

Don Draper: ESTP all the way!!
Betty: ISFJ/ESFJ
Peggy: INTJ
Pete: I have no friggin clue. What's the type for "spoiled entitled squirrelly weasel"?
Joan: H-O-T. ESFP
Roger Sterling: ESTJ

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
One of my favourite tvshow.

Betty ESFJ
Peggy INFJ
Pete ENTP
Joan ESFP
Roger ENTJ

But you have to explain me why you think Don Draper is an ESTP.
I type him as INTJ, and also INTJ is the boss Bertram Cooper
Bye.

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think Don Draper is ESTP because of his manipulation of people and his adeptness for office politics.

Also, this: YouTube - NEW! Mad Men - Meet Don Draper [HD]

"You're born alone and you die alone, and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts, but I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one."

Living in the here and now, being reckless. Definitely S.

I like your take on Peggy and Pete. And ooh, good one on Roger being ENTJ. I guess he struck me as more of an S because of his references to his war days, but I could see N for him as well.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I think Don Draper is ESTP because of his manipulation of people and his adeptness for office politics.

Living in the here and now, being reckless. Definitely S.

He is an obvious T and I can see N/S and P/J in him.
But really I don't see him as an extravert at all. So, not ISTJ because he doesn't fit in the SJ temperament.
Maybe he is a mixture between ISTP and INTJ, imho.
I'd go for INTJ because in an episode the boss Cooper suggest him to buy the Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged and he says to Don (more or less, I don't remember well...): "We are similar. You will like it".
Bye!

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm, you're definitely making me rethink the E/I.

INTJ -- Ni Te Fi Se. This could be him, although I think of him as more Ti/Fe. Could be an ISTP -- Se Ti Fe Ni

He could also be an ESTP living in his shadow, INFJ, because of the way he abandoned his family.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Does anyone here even watch this show? Anywho...

Don Draper: ISTJ
Peggy Olsen: INTJ
Pete Campbell: ESFP
Betty Draper: ISFJ
Joan Holloway: ENTJ
Roger Sterling: ESFJ

The most dysfunctional characters on modern television.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I can't believe no one watches this show! Oh well, more for me...

9pxefd.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just got the first season on DVD. I like the show. I'm not good with typing but I'm sure your analysis is good enough.

Truly dysfunctional characters. Don Draper's wife is AWESOME. Why would he cheat around on her? :nono:

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I just got the first season on DVD. I like the show. I'm not good with typing but I'm sure your analysis is good enough.

Truly dysfunctional characters. Don Draper's wife is AWESOME. Why would he cheat around on her? :nono:

The thing is...

Betty is a robot; she treats her children horribly and seems a bit detached from reality; she probably suspected that Don was cheating, but ignored the red flags. I've noticed that she has a huge problem with confronting her problems and blames them on other people. She's childish in a sort of pathetic way. Her role in life is to be a wife, period. Sometimes I like Betty, but more often than not, I can't stand her. Season two gets good though! It focuses more on the Drapers and their life at home. Season three as of now is a bit slow, but it's building up... but season two is definitely still my favorite.

Typing the minor-characters was a bit hard

Paul Kinsey: ENTP
Ken Cosgrove: ESTP
Harry Crane: INFP
Salvatore Romano: INFJ
Bert Cooper: ENFJ
Trudy Campell: ESTP
Duck Phillips: ESTJ
Jane: ENTP

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I always thought ISTJ for Don and his wife. They both remind me of the ISTJ's I know.

Roger seems like the ESTP

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Don an ESTP? That's madness. The man is obviously an introvert. He isn't a P, he is very rigid and stuck in his ways. He HATES change. Absolutely despises it. Don is a man of loyalty; he is practical, realistic, responsible, and matter-of-fact. He's quiet and serious 99.9% of the time and he works towards his goals regardless of his current distractions. And once he makes up his mind, that is it. How can he be an extrovert when he is so secretive about his private life? He does not even have real "friends". A social life is more of a chore to him than anything. Both him and Betty are alike in these ways. They have a certain "image" that they have to keep up. And using manipulation as typing him? Every type uses a form a manipulation.

Roger Sterling: ESFP

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone here even watch this show? Anywho...

Joan- ESFJ
Roger- ESTP (maybe N). He seems impulsive rather than emotional.

Agree otherwise.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Betty Draper: ISTJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see much Si in Roger. And why T rather than F for Betty? She seems like a rather run of the mill housewife.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
Whoa! Can someone justify an ISTJ Don Draper for me? Very little about his character seems to hit on the notes I usually associate with that type, especially an ISTJ living in the SJ-est of SJ eras. : ) One being a true dedication to tradition and his family life, which Don evidently lacks. Don also seems to exist more in a "shades of gray" world that conflicts with the right vs. wrong mentality of an ISTJ. In fact, Don's whole "ad man extraordinaire" attribute conveys a very "just let inspiration come" approach rather than any well-ordered SJ methodology.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He may not have the attitude of an SJ, but that's not a requirement for the type. He's detail-oriented as all fuck, has a sharp memory, and enjoys working with his hands. It's either ISTJ or ISTP, and Te fits better than Ti for him.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
Don Draper is soooo ISTP. Introverted Thinking? Definitely. (Maybe some spoilers ahead?)

Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles

Introverted Thinking

Very, VERY much like how Don comes up with some of his best work. (Ex- "It's toasted")

He lives impulsively, leaving for days at a time to run around with some band of European wanderers. Begins multiple sexual affairs rather easily (action and sensory experience!). Hates being regulated by contract by McCann because he lives by his own rules, man! That's ISTP-dom.

Though I can see the Te in his compartmentalization, so I will give you that.

Not directly related to this subject, but:
I want to emphasize, though, that many Mad Men characters may be mistyped as SJ (especially the women!) because the society that the characters lived in/were raised in idealized stability, traditional roles, and "good" values to an extent our culture just doesn't anymore.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The P-ness shows underneath, especially given the level of character depth and development in that show. Hardly any characters in Mad Men are actually SJ. I could buy Don being ISTP though.