User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Thread: Mad Men

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Some of the typings in this thread are fucking terrible.

Don Draper - ENTJ
    Lolz.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I can see that, but I can also see some INFJ in her. I'm almost completely positive she's INFx, though.

Stansmith, what made you go with the SJ temperament for Pete over NT? He's probably the hardest character for me to type for some reason.
    All I get from him is Te-Dom and 6w5. Alot of people type him as 3w2 (he's pretty good at presenting himself as one around clients), but he's the most reactive, paranoid character at the whole firm.

Anyway, I'd say ENTJ since he was pretty ambitious about his vision from the start (getting conservative brands to appeal to the african American market for example). An ESTJ would probably play it safe and be more practical.

Stansmith

Some of the typings in this thread are fucking terrible.

Don Draper - ENTJ

Don is practical, detached, whimsical and dismisses all 'grand' ideas or any form of psychoanalysis (even if legitimate). No N, no Te, no J.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Don is practical, detached, whimsical and dismisses all 'grand' ideas or any form of psychoanalysis (even if legitimate). No N, no Te, no J.
    Clearly we weren't watching the same show. Then again, I wouldnt expect someone who was unable to recoginze a preference for Te/Fi in themselves to be able to parse it out in others.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

All I get from him is Te-Dom and 6w5. Alot of people type him as 3w2 (he's pretty good at presenting himself as one around clients), but he's the most reactive, paranoid character at the whole firm.

Anyway, I'd say ENTJ since he was pretty ambitious about his vision from the start (getting conservative brands to appeal to the african American market for example). An ESTJ would probably play it safe and be more practical.
    Oh okay, yeah I can see that. I just couldn't see him being an Sdom at all for some reason. I can definitely agree with ENTx. Everything he seems to stand for and present to the company is very big picture and radical when compared to the more conservative ideals of the other partners (mainly Roger, a definite Sdom). Something about him though still makes me think he's an ENTP trying to project the image of a J. Like Wind-Up Rex said earlier, he has these random moments where he just starts talking that seem so TP. He's probably pretty balanced on the P/J scale.

Clearly we weren't watching the same show. Then again, I wouldnt expect someone who was unable to recoginze a preference for Te/Fi in themselves to be able to parse it out in others.
    Do you really not see Don as an introvert? That's one of the first things I noticed about him and it's been apparent in his character throughout the series for me. I'm pretty positive he's INTx. I go back and forth between J and P.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Double post. Sorry haha.

Stansmith

Oh okay, yeah I can see that. I just couldn't see him being an Sdom at all for some reason. I can definitely agree with ENTx. Everything he seems to stand for and present to the company is very big picture and radical when compared to the more conservative ideals of the other partners (mainly Roger, a definite Sdom). Something about him though still makes me think he's an ENTP trying to project the image of a J. Like Wind-Up Rex said earlier, he has these random moments where he just starts talking that seem so TP. He's probably seems pretty balanced on the P/J scale.

Do you really not see Don as an introvert? That's one of the first things I noticed about him and it's been apparent in his character throughout the series for me. I'm pretty positive he's INTx. I go back and forth between J and P.
    Roger is a better example of ETP. He's whimsical, 'patient', easy going, has fun with work, and prefers to sit back, give people vague orders and leave them to their own devices than bark out concrete inflexible orders like an ETJ (he only does that when he's really pissed). Pete on the other hand takes work seriously 99% of the time, gets easily frustrated and always has to make sure things are perfect. The NeTi-approach is more laissez-fare and flexible.

Ti is more "lets see how this works out, it most likely will", while Te is more "this will and mustwork out".

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I think that Don is without question Te/Fi>Ti/Fe. His way of thinking is just too familiar to me for him to be otherwise. What made me believe ENTJ for him is that he uses Ni rather than identifies with Ni. Some of my favorite moments from the show are watching Don go through the creative process, and he's striving to articulate the heart of some brand. The deeper urges and desires that it should evoke, or the grander context into which this brand must be interwoven to create a compelling narrative for the advertisement. Those moments are pure Ni, but Don doesn't really exist in that space, if that makes sense.

I don't buy that he's ISTP because the way that ISTPs use tert Ni is more of a wordless kind of knowing. It's like they can pick the next big thing long before it hits in this very organic kind of way. They don't necessarily know why they know, they just know that it is such and such a way. I think Don just articulates his Ni impressions too fluidly for him to be ISTP.

As for the appearance of an introvert, I'd attribute that to his 8w9ness and his inferior Fi. As a group, I consider us to be fairly taciturn. Not to mention enormously self-involved. Don is too blessedly unaware of anything but his own self to possibly be anything but an Fi user, and a little too reckless to be an INTJ imo. He doesn't think he just does, but in a way that's a little too high concept for it to be an STP. Just think about the ad that he took out against the cigarette company in the second or third season. It was like, he had just enough Ni to create a massive mess, and just shy of enough to have thought through the consequences of his actions a bit better. That's Te-Se in it's full glory right there.

Being real with you, my belief that Don and I share a type is mostly informed by just a gut recognition of the character that I have pretty infrequently. Despite having virtually nothing in common, I saw myself in Don's character. That may be a function of good writing, but I sure don't identify with Walter White or Omar Little like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

After some soul searching, I'm making the following corrections to my first crack at the typings --

Peggy Olson - IFJ (could go either way re: N/S) INFJ
    Pete Campbell - ESFJ
    Ken Cosgrove - Not sure. Leaning towards ISTP. INTP
    Bertram Cooper - Not sure. Probably ESTJ. INFJ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Roger is a better example of ETP. He's whimsical, 'patient', easy going, has fun with work, and prefers to sit back, give people vague orders and leave them to their own devices than bark out concrete inflexible orders like an ETJ (he only does that when he's really pissed). Pete on the other hand takes work seriously 99% of the time, gets easily frustrated and always has to make sure things are perfect. The NeTi-approach is more laissez-fare and flexible.
    Ti is more "lets see how this works out, it most likely will", while Te is more "this will and mustwork out".
    Totally agree that Roger is a more straight forward example of an ETP type. That kind of supports what I mean. Like I've said, I feel Pete tries to present himself as ENTJ outwardly. I think a lot of that has to do with how he was raised. He wants to be successful so badly, and wants to be rich. He thinks that the only way to do it is to put on this ENTJ mask, and act how he believes successful men act. Notice that if he IS an ENTJ, he's the most conniving and hardass ENTJ around. Practically characature. Every once in a while, he takes that mask off (like in some of his more serious conversations with Peggy) and says things that come off as very P. He seems very at ease with himself in moments like that. It's almost like he's a different person. I have a feeling that's partly why he's so resentful of Roger. Roger was born into it all, and has no stress. He can think however he wants and be as carefree and fun as he wants, but Pete knows that he has to put all of his effort into it, and keep a rigid way of doing things or he could lose his apartment. Which I think is why he seems so fake when he's making business decisions or doing things with clients. There isn't room for the trial and error.

So actually, I do agree with you that Pete is, for the most part, a total ENTJ. It's just that I have a feeling that under all of that, it's not really him. It's not what he really wants to be. Which could explain why he's so depressed acting. Why he has so much, and yet feels as if he "has nothing".

(By the way, I realize I'm reaching here xD It's just a strong hunch I have.)

I think that Don is without question Te/Fi>Ti/Fe. His way of thinking is just too familiar to me for him to be otherwise. What made me believe ENTJ for him is that he uses Ni rather than identifies with Ni. Some of my favorite moments from the show are watching Don go through the creative process, and he's striving to articulate the heart of some brand. The deeper urges and desires that it should evoke, or the grander context into which this brand must be interwoven to create a compelling narrative for the advertisement. Those moments are pure Ni, but Don doesn't really exist in that space, if that makes sense.

I don't buy that he's ISTP because the way that ISTPs use tert Ni is more of a wordless kind of knowing. It's like they can pick the next big thing long before it hits in this very organic kind of way. They don't necessarily know why they know, they just know that it is such and such a way. I think Don just articulates his Ni impressions too fluidly for him to be ISTP.

As for the appearance of an introvert, I'd attribute that to his 8w9ness and his inferior Fi. As a group, I consider us to be fairly taciturn. Not to mention enormously self-involved. Don is too blessedly unaware of anything but his own self to possibly be anything but an Fi user, and a little too reckless to be an INTJ imo. He doesn't think he just does, but in a way that's a little too high concept for it to be an STP. Just think about the ad that he took out against the cigarette company in the second or third season. It was like, he had just enough Ni to create a massive mess, and just shy of enough to have thought through the consequences of his actions a bit better. That's Te-Se in it's full glory right there.

Being real with you, my belief that Don and I share a type is mostly informed by just a gut recognition of the character that I have pretty infrequently. Despite having virtually nothing in common, I saw myself in Don's character. That may be a function of good writing, but I sure don't identify with Walter White or Omar Little like that.
    That's an interesting way to look at it. I dunno if I'd say you've convinced me he's not an introvert, but it definitely doesn't sound as far-fetched now that I understand your reasoning haha.