User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Mad Men

MBTI
    INTJ

That's about the only kind of family life there was, in her social class. Being a model in Manhattan and Italy is a lot more stimulating than standing around being Mrs. Draper cookin' dinner and having her husband not come home yet another night or come home late with a "hard day at the office" attitude. She's treated like an object. She's kind of the textbook for the beginnings of the women's movement, when women were like, I don't know what's wrong with me, but cleaning and cooking and dealing with kids all day is not making me feel very fulfilled, my husband doesn't come home nights and I'm tired of being understanding, something's wrong with me ... marriage and kids were supposed to be my big fulfillment and I'm bored to tears ... She was also an anthropology major -- she's not a stupid woman.
    Of course Betty is a product of her time period, and it's likely that Matthew Weiner purposefully utilizes her character to symbolize the frustrations of all housewives of that class/generation. But, and this is what makes Mad Men interesting, she's not JUST a victim (though she is infinitely more sympathetic than characters like Don). I like Betty but it plain to see that compared to most other women in the show, even fellow housewives like Francine, she's a bit prim, a bit naive, a bit vain and self-centered (who knows 100% how she got there, but there she is). It's not a slam on the character to note her personal flaws; I could do the same for any other person in the story. Don is destructive and selfish and unempathetic. Roger is spoiled and indulgent. Joan is bitchy. Pete is weasely. Just sayin'

Sorry, don't mean to derail the the thread...

I want to hear from an ENTJ that they are unable to keep secrets - which they are for good reasons - to themselves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1) I went to school with a guy named Matthew Weiner. Isn't that weird?

2) Yeah, Betty's flaws are all terminally ISFJ. I don't think that makes her more immature than anyone else, I just think it makes her more ISFJ.

3) Don is not an ENTJ, whether they can keep secrets or not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i agree with the op except
    peggy: intj
    joan: esfj
    pete:entj
    roger: esfp
    paul: entp
    sal: infj

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, cool.

But why would an INFJ have a beard marriage? Why wouldn't he be out in Greenwich Village flaunting his true self along with with the other beatniks? His combination of charisma and social propriety in spite of his homosexuality make me think ESFJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Okay, cool.

But why would an INFJ have a beard marriage? Why wouldn't he be out in Greenwich Village flaunting his true self along with with the other beatniks? His combination of charisma and social propriety in spite of his homosexuality make me think ESFJ.
    dozens of reasons, none of which are type related. i don't think he's extroverted and he could be ISFJ i guess, but something seems off about that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can't fathom an FP having a beard marriage when it wasn't absolutely necessary (Te), but maybe an NFJ would in that time period due to Fe, even if they didn't actually care about social norms.

I do think it's type related.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I can't fathom an FP having a beard marriage when it wasn't absolutely necessary (Te), but maybe an NFJ would in that time period due to Fe, even if they didn't actually care about social norms.

I do think it's type related.
    i think someone of any type could, especially at that time. less so with people living in new york. his reasons probably are Fe related though, he talked to his italian mom everyday and wanted to make her happy so he married some girl he grew up with. i miss his character, i wonder if he's even still married.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't know. But I do know there's other characters in that show who would be more comfortable with openly living an eccentric lifestyle. And there were also people like that as far back as the 1920's, maybe even earlier.

That's why I believe it's type related.

Apparently Sal disappeared in the third season and never came back?

3) Don is not an ENTJ, whether they can keep secrets or not.
    I am not trying to make him one. Right now, I am after the secret issue only.