• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mad Men

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He appreciates Ayn Rand. Some sort of INT?

I have an INFP male friend who loves Ayn Rand.

I think his Fi is really drawn to the whole idea of being an individual who lives for no one, and no one lives for him. But he's really nice, in his way. He's definitely an INFP, too.

But Cooper could be INT, I'm more sure of INxx than anything else about him.

Agree, I noticed that Ne/Se is more about others ideas/actions(Se?) when it comes opinions. And Fe/Te is more about how others judge them or their opinion of them. Something like that.

Yes, I want other people's ideas and opinions about things. Speaking of INFPs, there was one on the forum who seemed to be mystified that I would go around asking everyone what they thought my type was, to him that made no sense at all, but it seemed to me like the wisest thing to do before I made a final decision.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
For Don I would say ENTJ or possibly INTJ. I think Betty is an ISTJ.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
My list:

Don Draper- ISTP (Absolutely obvious. He's an independent type who lives for today's action and sensory experiences, reflected in constant boozing and sex)

Betty- ISFJ (Very immature and stuck in a Si-Ti loop)

Roger Sterling- ESFP (He can be thoughtless and crude, but he's so damn charming the whole time. He's impulsive and romantic and wants to be the center of attention.)

Joan Holloway- ESTX (Very aware of social protocol, though NOT an F, and self-confident, she's ambitious and uses the knowledge she has to pursue her own ends. Free with the verbal barbs and utterly blunt when she doesn't need to charm. Pragmatic survivor-type and relies on rationality, see tourniquet scene.)

Peggy- INXX (Dunno)

Pete- ENTP- (Certainly an N, he's very forward-thinking and future-oriented. Can't explain it, but this type just seems to perfect.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know, ESTP would be my second guess for Joan after ESFP. ESTP makes sense with her ambition.

I really don't think Betty is immature, honestly. I don't know what makes you say that. Her psychiatrist says that, but men were really hard on women during that time period, and it's before he realizes that she's having a nervous breakdown because her husband is cheating on her and she's in denial that everything is perfect...which seems like clear-cut ISFJ behavior to me.

I think some of the men on the show act like a bunch of children, for the most part, drinking all day and cheating on their wives...

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not trying to come down particularly hard on Betty, indeed many of her emotional problems are justified and rooted in Don's horrific disrespect and lies. But, nevertheless, immaturity is a major part of her characterization and impacts how her ISFJ type comes across. She came from a rather repressed and sheltered family life where she was taught that beauty was her only valuable asset. Betty goes almost immediately from this environment, excepting a very brief stint in Manhattan and Italy as a model (which is just another formulation of her beauty obsession), to being Mrs. Draper cookin' dinner. She was never able to have the experiences necessary to fully develop as a person; this is why she struggles to deal with her domestic struggles in a healthy manner.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yea I don't get why everyone hates on Betty. Maybe it says more about the type of girls I'm attracted to though. I don't know maybe the fact that I feel like she means well makes me tolerate or forget her childish temper tantrums and immature way of dealing with things.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not trying to come down particularly hard on Betty, indeed many of her emotional problems are justified and rooted in Don's horrific disrespect and lies. But, nevertheless, immaturity is a major part of her characterization and impacts how her ISFJ type comes across. She came from a rather repressed and sheltered family life where she was taught that beauty was her only valuable asset. Betty goes almost immediately from this environment, excepting a very brief stint in Manhattan and Italy as a model (which is just another formulation of her beauty obsession), to being Mrs. Draper cookin' dinner. She was never able to have the experiences necessary to fully develop as a person; this is why she struggles to deal with her domestic struggles in a healthy manner.

That's about the only kind of family life there was, in her social class. Being a model in Manhattan and Italy is a lot more stimulating than standing around being Mrs. Draper cookin' dinner and having her husband not come home yet another night or come home late with a "hard day at the office" attitude. She's treated like an object. She's kind of the textbook for the beginnings of the women's movement, when women were like, I don't know what's wrong with me, but cleaning and cooking and dealing with kids all day is not making me feel very fulfilled, my husband doesn't come home nights and I'm tired of being understanding, something's wrong with me ... marriage and kids were supposed to be my big fulfillment and I'm bored to tears ... She was also an anthropology major -- she's not a stupid woman.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

This was common for women in that time period. That didn't have any other choices. Actually, Betty's experience of going to college and traveling while she was a model make her much more experienced and less sheltered than many, many other women of the working and lower-middle classes who went straight from high school to being married.

I like Betty. I don't think she's immature. I think she's emotionally distraught because she's very much in love with her husband, and he does things like take off in the middle of their daughter's birthday party to supposedly pick up a cake, then instead gets drunk and returns after dark when all the guests have left.

If anyone is emotionally immature, it's Don, though he is more worldly and is obviously intelligent.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
For Don I would say ENTJ or possibly INTJ. I think Betty is an ISTJ.

I've already given my views on Don being an ENTJ, and his constant fantasies of up and running away don't seem to fit an NTJ personality. I don't think he's an extrovert, and I also don't see an INT intellectual type of personality with him, though he is very intelligent, he's not exactly bookish. His boss basically cajoles him into reading Ayn Rand after constantly mentioning it to him. I don't think I see him reading a book other than that one for two seasons - mostly he's working, drinking, or having affairs and going to dinner. I believe this is an intentional part of character development, as there are other characters in the show who clearly read and write more in their spare time. From what I understand NTJs can be quite faithful, as well, taking great pride in their commitments. I'm not saying an NTJ wouldn't have an affair, but Don is constantly chasing some dame.

As for Betty being ISTJ, I think if she were ISTJ she might have been a little more inclined to try to have some kind of career other than modeling instead of having the dream of being a wife and mother. She seems surprised in the second season when she meets her old roommate and friend who is not yet married. Joan, on the other hand, is probably an ESTP like someone else pointed out ...makes sense, she's the same age as Betty, but was more inclined to work and wait for marriage until she was in her 30's.

I also think Betty is inclined to emotion like an F, as well subtley correcting others on social propriety like an IxFJ, particularly an ISFJ.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Funny, I also thought Donal Draper is ENTJ, but he's introverted. It's pretty obvious, how much he keeps in himself, an extravert wouldn't do that, it would be too damn difficult.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's about the only kind of family life there was, in her social class. Being a model in Manhattan and Italy is a lot more stimulating than standing around being Mrs. Draper cookin' dinner and having her husband not come home yet another night or come home late with a "hard day at the office" attitude. She's treated like an object. She's kind of the textbook for the beginnings of the women's movement, when women were like, I don't know what's wrong with me, but cleaning and cooking and dealing with kids all day is not making me feel very fulfilled, my husband doesn't come home nights and I'm tired of being understanding, something's wrong with me ... marriage and kids were supposed to be my big fulfillment and I'm bored to tears ... She was also an anthropology major -- she's not a stupid woman.

Of course Betty is a product of her time period, and it's likely that Matthew Weiner purposefully utilizes her character to symbolize the frustrations of all housewives of that class/generation. But, and this is what makes Mad Men interesting, she's not JUST a victim (though she is infinitely more sympathetic than characters like Don). I like Betty but it plain to see that compared to most other women in the show, even fellow housewives like Francine, she's a bit prim, a bit naive, a bit vain and self-centered (who knows 100% how she got there, but there she is). It's not a slam on the character to note her personal flaws; I could do the same for any other person in the story. Don is destructive and selfish and unempathetic. Roger is spoiled and indulgent. Joan is bitchy. Pete is weasely. Just sayin'

Sorry, don't mean to derail the the thread...

Nicodemus

I want to hear from an ENTJ that they are unable to keep secrets - which they are for good reasons - to themselves.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1) I went to school with a guy named Matthew Weiner. Isn't that weird?

2) Yeah, Betty's flaws are all terminally ISFJ. I don't think that makes her more immature than anyone else, I just think it makes her more ISFJ.

3) Don is not an ENTJ, whether they can keep secrets or not.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i agree with the op except
peggy: intj
joan: esfj
pete:entj
roger: esfp
paul: entp
sal: infj

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, cool.

But why would an INFJ have a beard marriage? Why wouldn't he be out in Greenwich Village flaunting his true self along with with the other beatniks? His combination of charisma and social propriety in spite of his homosexuality make me think ESFJ.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, cool.

But why would an INFJ have a beard marriage? Why wouldn't he be out in Greenwich Village flaunting his true self along with with the other beatniks? His combination of charisma and social propriety in spite of his homosexuality make me think ESFJ.

dozens of reasons, none of which are type related. i don't think he's extroverted and he could be ISFJ i guess, but something seems off about that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can't fathom an FP having a beard marriage when it wasn't absolutely necessary (Te), but maybe an NFJ would in that time period due to Fe, even if they didn't actually care about social norms.

I do think it's type related.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't fathom an FP having a beard marriage when it wasn't absolutely necessary (Te), but maybe an NFJ would in that time period due to Fe, even if they didn't actually care about social norms.

I do think it's type related.

i think someone of any type could, especially at that time. less so with people living in new york. his reasons probably are Fe related though, he talked to his italian mom everyday and wanted to make her happy so he married some girl he grew up with. i miss his character, i wonder if he's even still married.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know. But I do know there's other characters in that show who would be more comfortable with openly living an eccentric lifestyle. And there were also people like that as far back as the 1920's, maybe even earlier.

That's why I believe it's type related.

Apparently Sal disappeared in the third season and never came back? :unsure: