• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christian Bale's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
All right, I've emptied YouTube for clips and read a bunch of interviews, and I think I'm joining the ISTP bandwagon. This quote clinched things for me:

I was told the other day that I'm indecisive and it shocked me. I was talking about somebody to my father and sister, saying how this person couldn't make up his bloody mind about anything and my dad just started looking at me. It was quite revealing.

I'd still really like to get confirmations based on video interviews (such as the ones linked to in the OP) from ISTP men and people who know ISTP men well.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's some sort of xxTJ 8w7 Sp/Sx, but I could also see 3w4
PS: yeah, this is an old ass thread, thought it was worth reviving as opposed to starting another one lol

KDude

I wouldn't put that kind of outburst past an ISTP. Fwiw.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't put that kind of outburst past an ISTP. Fwiw.

could you explain where you see Ti? he seems much more Te to me

KDude

I don't know much about him. I just thought the rant wasn't out of the question for an ISTP. I guess from the rant itself, I can see him being Te though. I see what you mean. He holds a strict order of how things should operate and flow around him. He keeps emphasizing a sense of professionalism (from himself and others). I think TPs can demonstrate Te, but I don't know how far any would take it like this. I only get this way when stressed or really impatient. It seems like I grumble and say "motherfucker!" a lot when driving, for example. I'm not the hippy dippy ISP guy. "It's all good, man." No. Sometimes I wish I could be, but getting pissed is just the first instinct. I want people to be more orderly or less idiotic in these cases. It's not even when it's extremely dangerous either. It could be my patience levels. If I'm in a parking lot and someone is holding shit up, I get pissed too. I've done the same when people break promises and screwed up some deal. It's gotten physical at times.. I'm pissed at their carelessness and disregard for how they fuck everything up. You could almost say this is "J" like, because I'm setting up plans beforehand.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Notes from E Online

" ... I don't really live anywhere. I break up my time between [L.A.] and London. When I'm in London, I don't want to spend any time in L.A., and when I'm in here [in L.A.], I actually enjoy it." --Bale quoted in Flaunt, Fall/Winter 1998.

"I enjoy obsession. It makes you feel alive when you've got something that you're generally obsessed with and something to really fixate on. But I believe I've been able to maintain a kind of sense of humor with it, you know? An enjoyable playing with it, so that it hasn't really - I hope - affected any of my family in a negative way whatsoever."---Bale on some of the extreme measures he takes to prepare for his acting roles, to the Los Angeles Times, November 12, 2006.

"I felt so dried up for a couple of years and wasn't interested in what I was doing. I was desperately struggling to be interested, but it wasn't happening ... I know some of the emotion went out of my work, but I think I've managed to get it back ... That's because I could risk making a complete fool of myself in front of the people I was working with, which is always when you give your best performances. You might say to yourself, What are you doing? But you just can't stop yourself doing it, and walking that line is the best feeling you can get as an actor." --Bale to Graham Fuller in Interview, December 1998.

"I have a fear of being boring. The more high-profile I get, the less I can surprise people anymore. I've managed it very well. Nobody has a clue who I am, so it's worked." --Christian Bale to Entertainment Weekly, October 11, 1996.

"I like scary movies. As a kid I liked to take walks in the woods at night after a scary movie to see if I could get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck."---Bale quote in EW June 25/July 2, 2004

"I was living in Bournemouth and suddenly everybody knew who I was. I remember sitting in this cafe with some friends and this girl came up, who obviously didn't recognise me, and started going on about how she was going out with Christian Bale. I'd go down to the public toilets and see things written about me on the wall. Guys would start fights with me. The local paper took pictures of me getting back from school, then wrote features about I wouldn't open a girls' school fete. I just felt like a dick, you know? I was 14; I didn't want to stand there next to the mayor with a big pair of scissors, but they started saying I was big-headed, that I'd forgotten where I came from. I didn't come from there, anyway." --Christian Bale quoted in The Independent, August 6, 1998.

"I'm not at all surprised about his huge following. He's very personable, and he's very serious about his work." --Christopher Hampton, writer-director of "The Secret Agent", quoted in Entertainment Weekly, October 11, 1996.

"I've gone through periods of depression during lengthy hiatuses. Everybody wants a sense of purpose, and when your mind's set on doing one thing and it's not happening, you just feel useless."---Bale to GQ magazine, March 2007.

"It's important for an actor to have a certain amount of mystery. Personally, I love going to see a film where you can really watch a character. If you've just read some article about who the actor is sleeping with, that's gonna be in the back of your mind all the time you're watching the film. And obviously the more press you do, the less you're able to maintain that mystery." --Bale to Brendan Lemon in Interview, February 1998.

About being hired by Steven Spielberg: "At that age you are completely fearless. I wasn't really a film fan at all. Probably the only director I could have named was Spielberg. But I mean, I was like, 'Yeah, so what?' I was only slightly intimidated by the fact that it was his film and that I had the burden of carrying it." --From The Dallas Morning News, December 25, 1998.

About his role in "Newsies", Bale told Michael Atkinson in Movieline, March 1997: "I never had any interest in doing a musical. I still don't. In fact, when I first read the script, I thought it wasn't a musical. Later, after I realized it was, I asked Kenny [director Kenny Ortega] if maybe I could duck over here into the pub while the numbers were going on, and then come out when it was over. I hoped I could be the lead in a musical without doing any singing and dancing! Eventually I said, 'Fuck it, let's just do it.' But I had a lot of doubts about it--I never liked musicals, and even then I knew I'd never do anything like that again."
His official website is located at www.christianbale.org.

On his Internet fans: "It gives me a sort of smug smile that there are people who very thoroughly appreciate my work and talk about it. Some people would think it's creepy, but it doesn't enter into my daily life." --From Time Out New York, April 8-15, 1999.

On negotiating the transition from child actor to adult performer: "I've been very lucky because there wasn't a sudden leap where people were saying, 'Oh, what a cute kid,' and then it's 'Bloody hell, what happened there, he's got zits and hair in his armpits--he must be spending a lot of time alone in his room.' Of course, I WAS spending a lot of time alone in my room." --From Movieline, March 1997.

On taking the part in "American Psycho": " ... frankly, I've always admired actors who appear not to pay a great deal of attention to the reaction but rather to their own choices and keeping themselves interested in their own careers and in the roles. It's something I'm happy to take flack for."

He's not an INTJ.

R

Riva

"My hope is that people will be repulsed by the character's complete lack of ethics and obsession with consumerism - that's what I was saying about the difference between the character's message and the film's message." <--this doesn't really sound like something an ISTP would say. Not that all ISTPs are unethical and materialistic, but they don't offer insights like that. It seems like an INTJ thing, with inferior Se.

Urghhhh!!! How narrow minded could you be?

Then again this post was made in 2007. Things have changed quite a lot since the early days. Infact I would say TypC is the most open minded when it comes to MBTI types and dismissive of bad stereotyping of types (especially of sensor types) out of all the major MBTI forums.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Pretty sure he is an introvert. Not sure about the rest but as far as your question goes you would be surprised at what an enneagram difference makes in type. I have a close ISTP E9 friend and I'm an E6. We both think very similarly but our anger manifests much different.

I will more likely vent like Bale when I've exhausted other routes of getting results from someone. I just called a co-worker a fucking moron the other day because he was. The same time I realized it, I thought he should know as well. My friend will just calmly tell you to shut up or meet him outside where he will hurt you. They're both breaking points and no ISTP likes to get there because it is the end of the line with them. Of course, he is male and I'm female.

Losing one's temper has nothing to do with Ti or Te. It's just human, I guess.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty sure he is an introvert. Not sure about the rest but as far as your question goes you would be surprised at what an enneagram difference makes in type. I have a close ISTP E9 friend and I'm an E6. We both think very similarly but our anger manifests much different.
I will more likely vent like Bale when I've exhausted other routes of getting results from someone. I just called a co-worker a fucking moron the other day because he was. The same time I realized it, I thought he should know as well. My friend will just calmly tell you to shut up or meet him outside where he will hurt you. They're both breaking points and no ISTP likes to get there because it is the end of the line with them. Of course, he is male and I'm female.
Losing one's temper has nothing to do with Ti or Te. It's just human, I guess.

thanks, but you didn't exactly answer my question. I think he uses Te because his logic is very straightforward and he stresses procedural efficiency and professionalism.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks, but you didn't exactly answer my question. I think he uses Te because his logic is very straightforward and he stresses procedural efficiency and professionalism.

The guy I called a fucking moron affected my job performance because of his inefficiency and lack of professionalism. So Te aside, if it affects or reflects on me I can get angry about it. Don't step on my toes. The anger can be a defense reaction in Ti.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The guy I called a fucking moron affected my job performance because of his inefficiency and lack of professionalism. So Te aside, if it affects or reflects on me I can get angry about it.

fair enough, but do you specifically see Ti in him?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My impression is ISTJ 1w9 sp/sx

GoingSolo

MBTI Type
INTP
I wonder what his type is, after his verbal outburst... :thinking:

Here's the audio file, for those who haven't heard it: http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

"INTPs are relatively easy-going, quiet and amenable to most anything until something violates their principles. Then they become outspoken, inflexible and at times downright unreasonable, switching from reserved to actually enjoying the heated debate and drama. The INTP can move from compliance to throwing dolly from the pram very quickly, often shocking those who didn’t realise a principle had been trodden on"

Source: http://assessment.globalblackswan.com/ca/type/intp

Well.

Black Skorpyo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As a foreigner I don't know a lot about Christian Bale.. (I've watched only a few movies with him.. 'The Machinist' being my favorite so far) but I came straight here (after watching this video of him) to find out if he is indeed an INTJ because his personality appeared very INTJ-ish to me.. :)
I'm going to watch the rest of his movies now, American Psycho being the next on my list! ;)

Edit: And............ I just realized how old this post is.. :shock: Lol.
I think is more likely for him to be an ISTJ, because he thinks a lot about the past.

Last edited: