User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    ENTP. I think David himself is likely INTP, but he probably doesn't have as many interesting conversations IRL.
    Agreed. Really people, NFJ? Doesn't that require Fe?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Yeah the whole show is about Fe, but it's Fe that has been warped by dominant Ni. To put it another way the whole show is about manners and social norms and consideration, but it's from Larry David's perspective so the etiquette standards are subjective ones that he created himself. For example he might make a big deal about someone who takes too many free samples.

Every show is about relationships. That's why it's clear that he's a feeler. But it's also about how he comically screws up his relationships with others because he's an INxJ. There is no way he's an NTP because he gets irritated so easily and NTP's really don't. He's not an NTJ because he is fine sitting around the house doing nothing all day (or wasting time in other ways), which doesn't describe a Te user very well. He's a misanthropic INFJ and that is why the show is funny.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    1w2

I think he's an iNFJ too, maybe a really misanthropic ENFJ. Larry has created all these social rules that people must adhere to and gets very upset when people don't follow them. His system is extremely convoluted. He's also got inferior Se all over the place and is always emoting all over the place.

He's paranoid about people watching him go to the bathroom and every few episodes needs to go to the doctor about something but is embarrassed about telling them why he's there. He's not comfortable with his body which indicates inferior sensing to me.

Also in this past season he clicked up very nicely with Leon Black, who's an ESTP.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Yeah the whole show is about Fe, but it's Fe that has been warped by dominant Ni. To put it another way the whole show is about manners and social norms and consideration, but it's from Larry David's perspective so the etiquette standards are subjective ones that he created himself. For example he might make a big deal about someone who takes too many free samples..

Ok, let's deal with the Fe.
    The whole shtick of the show is that he offends people left right and center because he's oblivious to how they feel. The strength of Fe is that the user is sensitive to other's feelings and can accurately gauge or predict what these are.
    Fe is adapting one's interactions with the external world to the moods and feelings of others. Fe is sensitive to events like changes in people's expressions or other such "soft," hard-to-quantify conditions in the environment.
    Larry is a failure at Fe.

When he's clued into how other's see, some more conflict comes from his machinations because: 1) He often doesn't think they should be offended; it doesn't make sense to him so he keeps offending (there's little adaptation to people's sensitivities) or 2) He applies his Ti to try to solve the problem, with disastrous results because he lacks that touch of the pol.

As for the irritation - I can see how this could be an INFJ, but I cannot agree with your reasoning by negation of this as a trait in NTPs. He is cranky, misanthropic and caustic, particularly where people try to call something one thing when he sees it as another. He is particular about precision in language and will argue something for aaaages if he feels the definition wrong, no matter how the other party feels about it ("suicide"bomber episode for example).

As for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Every show is about relationships. That's why it's clear that he's a feeler.

As for the rest: watch the "what do you hate thread" for various INTx peeved off about the failure of people to follow certain basic rules of behaviour. every nf i've known has been more forgiving and less critical about such things.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Ok, let's deal with the Fe. Larry is a failure at Fe.
    I would say that Feeling is neither David's Primary nor Support function, and he's Introverted, but I get where you're coming from.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I would say that Feeling is neither David's Primary nor Support function, and he's Introverted, but I get where you're coming from.
    Well shit, yeah. That's more efficient.

But do elaborate on how you typed him. I'm heading home.
    hoarding time and space

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Well shit, yeah. That's more efficient.

But do elaborate on how you typed him. I'm heading home.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post390490

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post394252

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I'm not sure how we got on the idea of Larry David's character being an 'N' at all. He seems like my easily irritable ISTJ (ex)father-in-law. Yes the show is about relationships but more specifically it's about his inability to understand people and the nuances of social interaction. That and his prickliness seems to suggest an ISTJ to me.

And the whole incomfortable-in-his-own-body and excessive modesty sounds like an enneagram type 6.

Oh, and no offense intended to the healthy ISTJs out there

MBTI
    ENTP

lol yeah. There would be no plot points if he had any concept of social propriety.

I'm going to guess ENTP. He's very hard on other people who break his perceived rules of society (not that he cares about society but happens to find those things annoying and needs a rationalization to bitch at the perpetrators), but not so hard on himself when he breaks their rules. That seems like a common ENTP thing in my experience.
    I don't wanna!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    lol yeah. There would be no plot points if he had any concept of social propriety.
    Yeah, 50% of the show is him arguing with people. I like it though, quick back-and-forth spats make for the most amusing improvs.

He said in an interview his character on the show is basically a more sociopathic version of himself.