• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spongebob Squarepants

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So I was watching part of a Spongebob marathon with my little brother so I decided to see if there was a thread here for the Spongebob characters. I didn't see one when I searched. Feel free to contribute. :D

Spongebob - ESFJ
Patrick - ESFP
Squidward - ISTJ
Plankton - INTJ
Sandy - STP
Mr. Krabs - TJ
Gary - INT

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sandy seems like an ESTP to me, and going on what little information of Gary I have, he's probably an INTP

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
How would one go about typing Gary, in the first place?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I watched Spongebob for 8 hours two days ago. At first, I thought he was an ESFJ but the more I dug into him, the more I knew and understood him.

You're not gonna like it, but I'm throwing out ENFP for Spongebob. His constant phase changes, natural adaptability, his vast imagination, his vulnerable self confidence, witty humor, and natural people pleaser characteristics is so ENFP. He's chasing stars, always on the quest for something bigger and better.

He is definitely not an ESFJ. I cannot see it. Look at him better.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I watched Spongebob for 8 hours two days ago. At first, I thought he was an ESFJ but the more I dug into him, the more I knew and understood him.

You're not gonna like it, but I'm throwing out ENFP for Spongebob. His constant phase changes, natural adaptability, his vast imagination, his vulnerable self confidence, witty humor, and natural people pleaser characteristics is so ENFP. He's chasing stars, always on the quest for something bigger and better.

He is definitely not an ESFJ. I cannot see it. Look at him better.

Nah, he is definitely not a P. I can't see that in him. As for the imagination bit... I've been switching back and forth between ENFJ and ESFJ, but I just cannot see how he could possibly be a P. He likes everything to be ship-shape and in order, he plans everything, etc.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nah, he is definitely not a P. I can't see that in him. As for the imagination bit... I've been switching back and forth between ENFJ and ESFJ, but I just cannot see how he could possibly be a P. He likes everything to be ship-shape and in order, he plans everything, etc.

That's how he functions with the environment around him. Some Ps can be very orderly with the things in front of them. His mind works as a P. He's a shape shifter, always going in and out of phases and he functions mentally as a P would. I find a lot of similarities between him and myself. He's no doubtebly an N, for he expresses an obscene amount of reverence and respect to things that people forget to memorialize.

I thought clearly he must be a J by the way he lives his life. But it pleases him, the outcome of his orderliness. He'd be happy any other way, I'd think.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Gary is the only one I am pretty sure on the type so far.

Gary is very inwardly focused, in his own world most the time - IN
Very concise and rational/somewhat impersonal when he does say something (meow) - T
Always rebelling against any kind of structure and such - P

Gary - clearly INTP ;)

As for the others, I am not very sure. They all seem very S/N balanced to me, and due to my own biases, I am afraid of incorrectly labeling a lot of them as N.

Spongebob - EnFJ (he is sometimes very externally focused, but uses N frequently, very much a "people-person," obsessively structured)
Patrick - ESFP (entirely outward focus on having fun with others except for when sleeping most the day, unplanned to the extreme)
Squidward - INTJ (very focused on his pursuit to be a great artist, no matter what others say, impersonal for the most part, grabs ideas out of nowhere, needs lots of alone time)
Plankton - iNtJ (very focused on getting the "secret formula," has elaborate plans A-Z, is by himself a lot but might not be alone if he wasn't so evil)
Mr. Krabs - eSTJ
Sandy - very tricky character... probably a balanced ESTP

~*all subject to updating*~

Last edited:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Gary is totally an INTP. He is crazy I. Very very reserved, doesn't like to leave his shell (perfect metaphor), he is a literal and figural snail!

He is also very stubborn which hints to extreme Introversion. "Nothing you can say or do to me will change my opinion."

Cinnamon Sugar

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not a fan of post-movie Spongebob, so these typings are based on episodes before the movie.

Spongebob: ENFX. He seems fairly balanced on the J/P line - on one hand, he likes structure and is very much a clean freak; on the other hand, he has a somewhat erratic thought process and can be spontaneous.
Patrick: XSFP, I suppose.
Squidward: (unhealthy) INTJ. Artsy, arrogant, isn't afraid of showing his contempt and dislike of others, has delusions of grandeur. He dreams of getting out of his dead-end job and becoming a great clarinetist.
Mr. Krabs: ESTX?
Sandy: ESTP?

Is it sad that I sort of seriously thought about this and gave kind of in-depth descriptions (well, for Spongebob and Squidward)?

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6

There are a few episodes in which Gary talks(The dream episode, for one). And seeing how he never really tries to stop spongebob or drive him to one path, he is more of an INTP, or maybe ISTP because what he says(through Spongebob) is always "That will never work"

Also I'm seeing Patrick as more of an I than an E. He really doesn't have any other friends than Spongebob, or people that Spongebob knows.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Spongebob - ENFP
Patrick - ENFP
Squidward - ISTJ
Mr. Krabs - ESTJ
Sandy - No idea
Gary - I don't really think we can type him, he doesn't talk

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
There are a few episodes in which Gary talks(The dream episode, for one). And seeing how he never really tries to stop spongebob or drive him to one path, he is more of an INTP, or maybe ISTP because what he says(through Spongebob) is always "That will never work"

Also I'm seeing Patrick as more of an I than an E. He really doesn't have any other friends than Spongebob, or people that Spongebob knows.

I think the reason Patrick has so few friends is not because of introversion, but because of his painfully hilarious lack of intelligence. And his utter disregard (or maybe unconsciousness?) for basic hygiene. The episode in which he keeps his junk inside his belly button is a perfect example of this, I think. :yes:

Also, Patrick, with Spongebob (and occasionally even Squidward), is pretty gregarious. He's always thinking -- as best as someone like him could -- for ways to have fun and pass the time. This seems inconsistent with the characteristics of an introvert.

EDIT: I tend to agree with the Spongebob = ENFP consensus. The FUN song + Imagination seems pretty clear to me.

Last edited: