User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Anaďs Nin?

heart on fire

Maybe she is really INTJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.

Am I the only INFP who really can't stand her? She just comes accross as really selfish and boring.

She bragged that she was Gore Vidal's lover too but he supposidily denied it.
    Last edited by heart; 07-15-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

trey anastasio of phish.

i'm currently revising my senior thesis for a graduate application (english masters) at a local school. the thesis was out of the religious studies department about the band.

i'm trying to work myers briggs into my analysis, since it clarifies some of what i was initially going for. (trey is entp and mike is infj, the drummer fishman might be an entp too or intp and the keyboardist page is an isfp). communication styles is part of it, but also the band just seems really N- adapts to new circumstances really well, creates and explores new possibilities. builds a great environment to be creative, to foster connections between the members of the band. the chemistry inspires self-actualization and makes the most of individual creativity.

they kind of remind me of sonic youth as a band that has figured out how to do things their own way and really made it work long-term (who, coincidentally also has an entp-thurston and an infj-lee ranaldo. i'm thinking kim is probably an intj as well, tho intp is not out of the question by any means.) i think animal collective is another really good example w an enfp-avey tare, an entp-geologist, and an infj-panda bear. dominant intuitives are in love with exploration, possibilities, and new information.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Maybe she is really INFJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.

Am I the only INFP who really can't stand her? She just comes accross as really selfish and boring.

She bragged that she was Gore Vidal's lover too but he supposidily denied it.
    she is open to new possibilities and the possibilities excite her, enthuse her, inspire her. what comes of them is life, her life, nothing more. the connections between the things she writes about don't necessarily transcend her own limited sphere and become relevant for many or like become universalized. there is no morality imposed in her books except her own changing judgment. it's like an experiment or a hypothesis that may argue against itself in time.

self-assuredness becomes a boring read for some of us too. maybe i don't want a book to start with an ending and then make up a beginning that suits it. the characters are compelling, and their little self-absorbed circles bouncing off each other (both 4s!) leads to some personal insights and ideas that i find very useful to me in my own life. i'm a 4aholic tho, i can't get enough of self, self, self and the myriad of ways the merry-go-round spins.

heart on fire

Just sounds to be like self-serving justification to wreck havoc without feeling responsible.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Maybe she is really INFJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.
    Yay! Psyche-chaffing!

Well, I have to say ISFP threw me for a loop. I gotta differ with that, her writing style is far different than how ISFPs think.... much more N and making cross-connections / deeper evocations, and there's also a big-picture consistency in the narrative. The only similarity I saw with ISFP is that there is focus on the details of the events.... but with ISFP all those details tend to describe the objects more literally (rather than as just representative of the Ideal) and jumble together and not have a large over-arcing connection.

I don't remember much detail right now, but I'd probably meet you half-way at "self-absorbed."
    EDIT: lol, TSIAI, I just saw your post and your references to self-absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    INFJ.
    Looks INFJ, too.
    She does! There's a cleanness/precision to the face (basically a "constructed mask") to express typical IJ style control, and it's got an aesthetic (rather than practical) quality to it, which tends to be NF.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

4s often do wreak havoc. but it is often to feel responsible, to test their own limits, get in touch with their feelins and the feelins of others in the aftermath, to better know themselves. it's a disaster, but sometimes a beautiful one.

and i'm not saying all 4s are like this, i'm just saying this is part of the process for self-discovery. an exaggerated example. for understanding where limitations really lie. i understand why you would not be sympathetic to her, but i do think she finds something of value in her experiences, regardless of who she had to stab in the back to get them (which i don't at all justify).

I've always thought of her as ISFP given her very... descriptive accounts of sensual and physical experiences; a preoccupation with colors, sounds, and tastes. She seemed to be consumed by the world of sensing --perhaps she possessed strong Ni?

However, it's entirely possible that she is an INFJ with well-developed Se.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

heart on fire

Could be inferior Se, obsessive. The Se was what made me want to say she was ISFP.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I've always thought of her as ISFP given her very... descriptive accounts of sensual and physical experiences; a preoccupation with colors, sounds, and tastes. She seemed to be consumed by the world of sensing --perhaps she possessed strong Ni? However, it's entirely possible that she is an INFJ with well-developed Se.
    I've noted elsewhere how it's very common for INFJ women to end up with SP guys; it surprised me by how often I saw it occur, I had always expected them to go for N's as the majority.

I think INFP will use Ne instead of SE and not get nearly as immersed in physical detail as INFJ will (so ; it's the Ni/Se pairing at work here, that's my intuition.

For a similar example, compare typical INTP abstraction in writing (deals with concepts as the basic building block) versus INTJ narrative which often will be similar to INFJ in that it is interested in the external details. When I discuss health with INTJ vs INTP, for example, I tend to get the "concepts" of good health from INTP and then the specifics if I ask for it, while meanwhile I'll get very precise grounded descriptions of the drugs/herbs, dosages, and the like from INTJ and general rules if I ask for them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think INFP will use Ne instead of SE and not get nearly as immersed in physical detail as INFJ will (so ; it's the Ni/Se pairing at work here, that's my intuition...
    INFP S is going to be Si and childlike I am thinking, sort of like Edward Scissorhands surrealistic/nostalgic flavor. (Look sorry my brain is tired so I can spell for ...)