User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 75

  1. #51

    Default

    Has anyone seen the latest incarnation of Jane Eyre in film?

    Type 4 seems pretty clear. Individualist before her time. INFx. J/P is tough between what's lost in translation during book-to-film adaptations.

    I agree with LadyJaye and think based on the book, INFP for Jane (Mr. Rochester INTJ) is sound.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #52
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,624

    Default

    I just watched this a few nights ago. Why do I think of this character as an ISFP?

  3. #53
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    It looks like it's going to be really good! I can't wait to see it.
    I was just looking at INFP characteristics here and there on the internet, and saw this:

    Most INFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

    May tend to be shy and reserved
    Don't like to have their "space" invaded
    Extreme dislike of conflict
    Extreme dislike of criticism
    Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
    May react very emotionally to stressful situations
    Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
    Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
    Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
    Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
    Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

    Those are reasons I don't think she's an INFP.

  4. #54
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Those are pretty misleading. There's a decent counter-argument for most if not all of the items on that list, especially when an INFP is under extreme provocation, which, one can argue, is the state we find Jane in almost throughout the novel.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Those are pretty misleading. There's a decent counter-argument for most if not all of the items on that list, especially when an INFP is under extreme provocation, which, one can argue, is the state we find Jane in almost throughout the novel.
    Indeed. That girl's Fi-fueled Te came out swinging on more than one occasion during the course of the film.

    Also, I recommend it. I just finished it today and really enjoyed it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  6. #56
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I don't see INFP being as hard as Jane Eyre.

    Heh. My copy is held together with a rubber band. The pages are falling out, I've read it so many times.

    iwakar, what parts show the Fi-fueled Te?

  7. #57
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It looks like it's going to be really good! I can't wait to see it.
    I was just looking at INFP characteristics here and there on the internet, and saw this:

    Most INFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

    May tend to be shy and reserved
    Don't like to have their "space" invaded
    Extreme dislike of conflict
    Extreme dislike of criticism
    Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
    May react very emotionally to stressful situations
    Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
    Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
    Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
    Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
    Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

    Those are reasons I don't think she's an INFP.
    That sounds like an INFP description that leans towards enneagram 9 INFPs, for one.

    Although the Jane Eyre does display some of those traits at times, depending on how you interpret them. Most people seem to interpret INFP traits on profiles poorly. They see "dislike of conflict" & they think the INFP is a people-pleasing doormat who never speaks their mind, when it really just means they seek to use diplomatic communication and are willing to compromise when a serious moral value is not a stake.

    I would say I'm as hard as Jane Eyre, if not harder. I don't grasp why people think INFPs are softies....especially not if you've read Jung's description of Fi.

    A good example of an INFJ heroine by Charlotte Bronte is Lucy Snowe in Villette. The contrast with that character & Jane Eyre further cements Jane as INFP in my mind.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Furrawn, books liked this post

  8. #58
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Beautiful film! Totally in love with Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester.

    I'm pretty sure he's INTJ. As for Jane, I think INFP is the most likely...or maybe ENFP? I know she doesn't really come across as an extrovert, but I thought she might possibly be an introverted ENFP simply due to her life circumstances. She constantly lives in vulnerable positions where she needs to protect herself. It's a long time since I've read the book, but in the film there is a scene where she stands at the window and talks about how frustrated she is that she will never cross the horizon that she sees in the distance and experience life in all its fullness and pursue all kinds of opportunities. THat moment seemed very ENFP to me, personally.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #59
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I don't think INFPs are softies from reading about them -- I formed my opinion from personal experience with them. I don't know any INFP who would actually lay somebody out. Maybe all the ones I've known have been extra principled or something, but they won't get down and dirty, because it causes them too much pain to be "mean," even if it's just saying the truth. I don't know any INFP and I don't associate INFP at all with Jane's outburst to Mrs. Reid. The way I see INFP is that she would have taken the high road and kept her opinions to herself. I think of INFP as thinking "Oh, she's dying, poor thing, how could I cause her distress? That would be wrong! I must be kind!"

    Someone said upthread that Jane couldn't be Fe because what Fe would go along with Rochester when he was married. I don't see Fe as being conventional. It's just that Fe feels itself part of the group and defends the group more than it defends the individual. It did zero harm to the group she was in for her to marry Rochester, because nobody knew he had a wife. That's why she was comfortable.

    She doesn't have any of the traditional INFP flaws. She scolds at will. She doesn't care what anybody thinks or consult anybody first. She has no problem giving herself credit (or blame). Etc., pretty much down the line.

  10. #60
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I don't think INFPs are softies from reading about them -- I formed my opinion from personal experience with them. I don't know any INFP who would actually lay somebody out. Maybe all the ones I've known have been extra principled or something, but they won't get down and dirty, because it causes them too much pain to be "mean," even if it's just saying the truth. I don't know any INFP and I don't associate INFP at all with Jane's outburst to Mrs. Reid. The way I see INFP is that she would have taken the high road and kept her opinions to herself. I think of INFP as thinking "Oh, she's dying, poor thing, how could I cause her distress? That would be wrong! I must be kind!"

    Someone said upthread that Jane couldn't be Fe because what Fe would go along with Rochester when he was married. I don't see Fe as being conventional. It's just that Fe feels itself part of the group and defends the group more than it defends the individual. It did zero harm to the group she was in for her to marry Rochester, because nobody knew he had a wife. That's why she was comfortable.

    She doesn't have any of the traditional INFP flaws. She scolds at will. She doesn't care what anybody thinks or consult anybody first. She has no problem giving herself credit (or blame). Etc., pretty much down the line.
    I don't relate to your estimation of INFPs at all.
    I don't see those as traditional INFP flaws, not in the way you interpret them (and that list in particular is not exactly exhaustive or without exceptions). INFPs are highly critical of things which don't meet their ideals, prone to be loners in protection of their autonomy, filled with inner turmoil over their desires & ideals & reality, often calm & aloof on the surface, occasionally passionate in defense of their feelings, stubborn about their values & maintaining integrity, etc.
    That sounds like Jane Eyre to me.

    I've had outbursts with people similar to Jane's with Mrs. Reid. I don't generally consult people when making decisions (what in the world does that have to do wih INFPs?). I'll give myself blame, but credit too. It doesn't cause me pain to be mean to someone if they deserve it, etc.

    Again, everything you say screams enneagram 9 INFP, and it seems Jane is a 4....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Furrawn liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] INFPs, is that you?
    By Tayshaun in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  2. [INFP] Is INFP the airhead type?
    By neo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 04:19 PM
  3. Is Rurouni Kenshin INFP or INFJ?
    By Elfboy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 03:32 AM
  4. [INFP] So is there an INFP DoorSlam?
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 08:45 AM
  5. Jane Eyre
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO