User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I'm betting Jane is INFP. This passage always kills me - it's so infpish.

"(Mr Rochester) And will you consent to dispense with a great many conventional
    forms and phrases, without thinking that the omission arises from
    insolence?

(Jane) I am sure, sir, I should never mistake informality for insolence:
    one I rather like, the other nothing free-born would submit to,
    even for a salary."

Oh those statemsnts with "everybody would" and "nobody would ever" - value-based Fi, not seeking inner structure and understanding Ni.

And Mr Rochester grounds her just right:
    "Humbug! Most things free-born will submit to anything for a salary;
    therefore, keep to yourself, and don't venture on generalities of
    which you are intensely ignorant.(...)"

MBTI
    INFP

And had to check Helen Burns - to me she comes off as INFJ - deeply compassionate, but with mind of her own. This is what she has to say to Jane about Mr. Brocklehurst - the cruel boss of the school (this is offered as consolation).
    "Mr. Brocklehurst is not a god: nor is he even a great and admired
    man: he is little liked here; he never took steps to make himself
    liked. Had he treated you as an especial favourite, you would
    have found enemies, declared or covert, all around you; as it is,
    the greater number would offer you sympathy if they dared."

Pretty brave and insightful for such a young girl. Fe makes her harmonize with people around her, but in her heart she knows what's going on (Ni).

heart on fire

^ An Fe wouldn't have gotten in so bad with the school when she first arrived.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^ An Fe wouldn't have gotten in so bad with the school when she first arrived.
    So true - and she wouldn't jump at her aunt as she did

"I am not deceitful: if I were, I should say I loved you; but I declare I do not love you: I dislike you the worst of anybody in the world except John Reed (...). I am glad you are no relation of mine: I will never call you aunt again as long as I live. I will never come to see you when I am grown up; and if any one asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."

All right no more quotes - love the book. And that part gave me chills.

heart on fire

Another point: Why do people assume the difference between Burns and Jane is between P and J...why not T and F? Helen Burns could well be a female IxTP.

She and Jane argue about the need for love from others. She says she can do without it but Jane says she needs love from those who matter most to her. That's certainly in line with INFP and could well be a discussion between IFP and ITP.

Also this sounds to me more Fi than Fe:

"I am glad you are no relation of mine. I will never call you aunt again as long as I live. I will never come to see you when I am grown up; and if anyone asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."

"How dare you affirm that, Jane Eyre?"

"How dare I, Mrs. Reed ? How dare I ? Because it is the truth. You think I have no feelings, and that I can do without one bit of love or kindness; but I cannot live so: and you have no pity. I shall remember how you thrust me back— roughly and violently thrust me back—into the red-room, and locked me up there, to my dying day, though I was in agony, though I cried out, while suffocating with distress, 'Have mercy! Have mercy, Aunt Reed!' And that punishment you made me suffer because your wicked boy struck me —knocked me down for nothing. I will tell anybody who asks me questions this exact tale. People think you a good woman, but you are bad, hard-hearted. You are deceitful!"

Ere I had finished this reply my soul began to expand, to exult, with the strangest sense of freedom, of triumph, I ever felt. It seemed as if an invisible bond had burst, and-that I had struggled out into unhoped-for liberty. Not without cause was this sentiment; Mrs. Reed looked frightened; her work had slipped from her knee; she was lifting up her hands, rocking herself to and fro, and even twisting her face as if she would cry.

I was left there alone—winner of the field. It was the hardest battle I had fought, and the first victory I had gained. I stood awhile on the rug, where Mr. Brocklehurst had stood, and I enjoyed my conqueror's solitude. First, I smiled to myself and felt elate; but this fierce pleasure subsided in me as fast as did the accelerated throb of my pulses. A child cannot quarrel with its elders, as I had done; cannot give its furious feelings uncontrolled play, as I had given mine; without experiencing afterwards the pang of remorse and the chill 6f reaction.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I'm reading Jane Eyre for the first time right now (shh...no spoilers please, or at least give me warning) would love to read your discussion about the types in the book. To me JE, I mean the author Charlotte Bronte, seems intellectual (4w5 or 5w4) infp no doubt.

Wow! what a novel!

MBTI
    INFP

Heart aren't we of the same mind about the quotes

As to Helen Burns hmmm I feel I must investigate more.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Jane is definitely an INFP. And Mr. Rochester is an INTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    So true - and she wouldn't jump at her aunt as she did

"I am not deceitful: if I were, I should say I loved you; but I declare I do not love you: I dislike you the worst of anybody in the world except John Reed (...). I am glad you are no relation of mine: I will never call you aunt again as long as I live. I will never come to see you when I am grown up; and if any one asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."

All right no more quotes - love the book. And that part gave me chills.
    But her aunt was an abusive piece of shit who deserved to be jumped at.

MBTI
    ENFP

INFP.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp