• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sheryl Crow?

Usehername

On a mission
Thoughts on her type? She was a school music teacher before she quit and worked hard to make it big in the music industry.

She seems very well-rounded. The only letter I'd presume from her is J, and all the rest I'm a little uncertain about.

She carries on discussions that would get the nod of respect from NTs with her arguments and detached manner of conversation, but seems very in tune with her emotions.

She appears very drawn to topics of eternal consequence (larger societal issues) but I've never seen a sensor get annoyed with things about her, which makes me think she has S skills (or preferences?) as well as N skills (or preferences!).

I think she's an introvert from her tendency to think before she speaks, as well as the fact that she spends a lot of time by herself with her music, adding others after composition. (Let's not equate stage confidence with extraversion, though I'm not certain of intraversion on her part).

My guess is ixfJ from her, with considerable skill or balance. Maybe she's an independent ISFJ or maybe she's an INFJ.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my guess is isfj. an infj would never write "all i wanna do" or "everyday is a winding road." plus an infj would NEVER marry lance, or anyone named lance, for that matter. plus, it makes my head explode thinking: plath, dickinson, crow.

i'd like to know what type liz phair is. seems very S to me as well.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Kevin Gilbert, who helped launch her career (and who got dumped by her; which caused him much suffering) was an ENFP. That's all I know on Sheryl Crow.

Pointless I know, but I felt like sharing. :p

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
she's sooooo S! i see Si Fe Ti Ne. look at her songs. "if it makes you happy" "everyday is a winding road" "all i wanna do" "strong enough" "soak up the sun" "my favorite mistake" "the first cut is the deepest"

these are NOT infj songs. they're painfully down-to-earth. dominant Ni is totally out of the question. so cliche and so unthoughtful, so uncomplex, so easy-going and so conceptually empty

hommefatal

she's sooooo S! i see Si Fe Ti Ne. look at her songs. "if it makes you happy" "everyday is a winding road" "all i wanna do" "strong enough" "soak up the sun" "my favorite mistake" "the first cut is the deepest"

these are NOT infj songs. they're painfully down-to-earth. dominant Ni is totally out of the question. so cliche and so unthoughtful, so uncomplex, so easy-going and so conceptually empty
Did she write those all by herself? Why wouldn't an INFJ write songs like that? INFJs can be very romantic and conventional.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we see the world in more complex terms. we see a myriad of possibilities and the connections between things that get swept up in motion, in new directions, in angles, in complex webs.

this is not how we think, we turn statements over and over like a rubix cube. we find as many possible perspectives and synthesize them into something more complex, a higher unity, etc. we do not just latch onto a fucking cliche and call it a day. when we do put forth our answer, it is rooted in this complexity, the way in which it will impact and actualize the potential in others, and the Ti causal connections that make it logically follow, that integrates the details within a larger picture.

also, she seems way more behind-the-scenes than chart-the-course.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It'll be nice to know whether she wrote them all by herself or with somebody else... Some songs like Ironic and A change would do you good screams of Ni humor.

Usehername

On a mission

Her library as a whole cannot be described by the bolded adjectives you list, and I would argue not even all of those songs you list could. If you believe that, you are certainly missing her intended and clear lyrical undertones probably for a lack of listening to them carefully. :) (Check out There Goes the Neighborhood for social and media critique, for example.)

One I wouldn't argue with you on is Soak Up the Sun , written in response to 9/11, and was said to have accomplished her goal to help swing the morale of the USA ("accomplished" as judged by its huge reception and radio time). She intended to write this "tone" of song to accomplish a lofty goal, which points more to NJ than S.

Others that you cite are, for example, covers of previous generation pop songs, not written by her, recorded for movies that she rarely performs in concert.

But what do you make of songs that better illustrate her comprehensive library? They surely might still be S types but they are more distinctly different than the ones you cite.

Way back in the year of 2017
The sun was growing hotter
And oil was way beyond its peak
When crazy Hector Johnson broke into a refinery
And the black gold started flowing
Just like Boston tea

It was the summer of the riots
And London sat in sweltering heat
And the gangs of Mini Coopers
Took the battle to the streets
But when the creed was handed down
For no more trucks and no more cars
They threw cans of petrol through the windows at Scotland Yard

Gasoline
Will be free, will be free
Gasoline

When the Mounties stormed the palace of the Saudi family
They held them up for ransom
Without disturbing their high tea
But their getaway was shaky
They stalled in the Riyadh streets
Cause you can't make it very far
When your tank is on empty

The final can of gasoline was loaded on a truck
And driven through the streets of Agra to the palace aquaduct
You see, all the majesty of worship that once adorned these fatal halls
Was just a target to the angry
As they blew up the Taj Mahal

Gasoline
Gasoline
will be free, will be free

Gary ran a market way down in Tennessee
Where all the farmers got together and talked about this great country
But when the government turned its back on farming
Man, what I hear
They dragged the pumps out of the ground
With a big vintage John Deere

I've got soldiers on my payroll
Standing guard on my front drive
Snipers on the roof poised at those
Who don't want me alive
Cause they audited my taxes
My family under threat
Cause I've got a message and a megaphone
And I'll scream it to the death

Gasoline
Gasoline

You got the farms in Argentina
Making fuel from sugar cane
You got the bastards in Washington
Afraid of popping the greed vain
Cause the money's in the pipeline
And pipeline's running dry
And we'll be the last to recognize
Where there's shit there's always flies

Riverwide
I spent a year in the mouth of a whale
With a flame and a book of signs
You'll never know how hard I've failed
Trying to make up for lost time

Once I believed in things unseen
I was blinded by the dark
Out of the multitude to me
He came and broke my heart

When the dust in the field has flown
And the youngest of hearts has grown
And you doubt you will ever be free
Don't bail on me

River is wide and oh so deep
And it winds and winds around
I dream we're happy in my sleep
Floating down and down and down

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It'll be nice to know whether she wrote them all by herself or with somebody else... Some songs like Ironic and A change would do you good screams of Ni humor.

i tried to lookup ironic but all i found were alanis morrissette lyrics. does sheryl crow cover it or is it a different song? alanis, i think, is an enfj.

a change would do you good has a bit of a scattered imagistic feel to it, but i could see Si there as well. i don't really see any leaps. she does seem to have Fe and pretty well-integrated Ti. also seems healthy, confident, etc.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Ooops, my fault for Ironic. Alanis Morrissette wrote that one.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Her library as a whole cannot be described by the bolded adjectives you list, and I would argue not even some of those songs you list could. If you believe that, you are certainly missing her intended and clear lyrical undertones probably for a lack of listening to them carefully. :) (Check out There Goes the Neighborhood for social and media critique, for example.)

One I wouldn't argue with you on is Soak Up the Sun , written in response to 9/11, and was said to have accomplished her goal to help swing the morale of the USA ("accomplished" as judged by its huge reception and radio time). She intended to write this "tone" of song to accomplish a lofty goal, which points more to NJ than S.

Others that you cite are, for example, covers of previous generation pop songs, not written by her, recorded for movies that she rarely performs in concert.

But what do you make of songs that better illustrate her comprehensive library? They surely might still be S types but they are more distinctly different than the ones you cite.

1) you're right i haven't listened to them carefully.
2) improving usa morale/cheerleading does not seem like a lofty nj goal, confronting some of the socio-political issues that makes us have so many enemies both domestically and abroad does
3) i didn'..t know they were not her songs. still, she plays and endorses them. they are meaningful to her or she wouldn't play them. it doesn't seem very nj to sign on to any old project. not very chart-the-course. also... i forgot to mention her cover of sweet child of mine! :)
4) i accept your assertion that she can write critical and socially minded songs. i just think she lacks complexity of thought, or probably more accurately, i just don't think she is iNtuitive. i don't think she sees the connections between things in a complex way. her attention to detail is focused elsewhere, her sound, her physical presentation, etc.

in stark contrast to Ni dom, she seems sooooo down-to-earth. i don't know any Ni dom who manages that.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
She seems like an SP of some sort to me, but I don't really have any solid evidence for that.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
I've seen her in concert and she seemed much more loose and relaxed than most SJs. ESFP might be accurate.