• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

River Phoenix - INFP?

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Some quotes that make me think so:

"Personally I didn't think my own work was up to my standards . . . I have a tendency to be supercritical of myself."

"Ive always felt somewhat out of place with other kids my own age."

"The biggest problem was I was terrible for commercials - I couldn't smile on cue. Commercials were too phony for me. It was selling a product, and who owns the product? Are they supporting apartheid? I just didn't like the whole thing, even though it helped us pay the rent. How could I tell anybody to drink cranberry juice? I didn't drink it. I didn't believe what I was saying."

"I never wanted the wealthy fantasies of limosines or the pride of arriving at school in nice clothes. I wanted money so we could buy a great piece of land and be self-contained. That impresses me, that really feels good. It feels like something's been accomplished."

"I get offered a lot of [roles]. And sure, you pause when they say on the phone, 'You won't do this for two, well how about three? But after the movie comes out, I think, 'Man, I'm glad I didn't do that.' It's just not worth it. It's all in the script and whether I believe in it."

Btw, he's AMAZING in Dogfight. :yes:

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I always thought of him as an archetypal INFJ:

"If I have some celebrity, I hope I can use it to make a difference. The true social reward is that I can speak my mind and share my thoughts about the enviroment and civilisation itself. There's so much shit happening with people who are exploiting their positions and creating a lot of negativity."

"I love Sam Shepard, he is like a father to me. We don't even have to talk, we communicate without words."

"Animals are not our playthings. We are on this earth to protect them. It's our duty."

"In simplicity there is truth."

""I want kids, a family of my own. I'd like to give them the first eight years of their lives in the country. Then I'd want them educated, which I wasn't formally, although I had a tutor once when I was twelve. At times I miss a formal education, but at others I thank God for everything else I have now. What I have got from my childhood aren't toys, but memories. And happy memories are better than any toy."(Who but a J would plan ahead like that?)

"It's a great feeling to think that I can be a friend to so many people through my movies."

"We need an extreme movement because what is happening to animals is so extreme. Some misinformed people claim that animal rights activists are terrorists, but these people are simply ignorant of who the real terrorists are - the companies and industries that torture literally billions of animals each year. (The Animals Voice Magazine - 1989)"

"It still strikes me as strange that anyone could have a moral objection against somebody's sexuality, it's like telling someone else how to clean their house."

"We are taught to consume. And that's what we do. But if we realized that there really is no reason to consume, that it's just a mind set, that it's just an addiction, then we wouldn't be out there stepping on people's hands climbing the corporate ladder of success."

"When I was old enough to realize all meat was killed, I saw it as an irrational way of using our power, to take a weaker thing and mutilate it. It was like the way bullies would take control of younger kids in the schoolyard."

"I don't want to die in a car accident. When I die it'll be a glorious day. It'll probably be a waterfall."

"When I was younger, I was worried about how others viewed me and if I was good enough. I realize now that you can't mold an image or try to be something that you are not. As far as being an actor is concerned, your work really speaks for itself."

"It might take a few of these movies before there's a natural stride with the whole issue. Then one day, it wont even be an issue - which is what I'm hoping. - On My Own Private Idaho (1991)
Of course, that clear obsession with moral issues that people so much love to stereotype INFJ's into is there.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've seen moral issues stereotyped into INFPs a lot more around here.

By the way, I identified with those quotes. A lot of them struck me as particularly Fi.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
river phoenix = infp
one of my favorite actors as well

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
By the way, I identified with those quotes. A lot of them struck me as particularly Fi.
What makes them Fi? It seems to me that whenever a value has the word "I" in it, people automatically assume it's Fi. Both INFJ's and INFP's are introverts, which means that both types are going to be focused on their personal values. Both INFJ's and INFP's are going to be saying "I feel this" and "I feel that" quite a bit.

As for River, I think the Fe is clear. You look at those quotes and he was talking from collective "we" standpoint quite a bit.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What makes them Fi? It seems to me that whenever a value has the word "I" in it, people automatically assume it's Fi. Both INFJ's and INFP's are introverts, which means that both types are going to be focused on their personal values. Both INFJ's and INFP's are going to be saying "I feel this" and "I feel that" quite a bit.

As for River, I think the Fe is clear. You look at those quotes and he was talking from collective "we" standpoint quite a bit.

i agree

i would say INFJ

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What makes them Fi? It seems to me that whenever a value has the word "I" in it, people automatically assume it's Fi.

I'm not people apparently. I meant the context, actually. Honestly, I don't feel like arguing about it right now, I may pick it up someday, probably not. I don't really even know that actor. Based entirely on the quotes here, he seems like an INFP to me, and I didn't see any of that archetypal INFJ.

I don't care either way. Let's have separate opinions, makes the world more colorful.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I always thought of him as an archetypal INFJ:

"If I have some celebrity, I hope I can use it to make a difference. The true social reward is that I can speak my mind and share my thoughts about the enviroment and civilisation itself. There's so much shit happening with people who are exploiting their positions and creating a lot of negativity."

"I love Sam Shepard, he is like a father to me. We don't even have to talk, we communicate without words."

"Animals are not our playthings. We are on this earth to protect them. It's our duty."

"In simplicity there is truth."

""I want kids, a family of my own. I'd like to give them the first eight years of their lives in the country. Then I'd want them educated, which I wasn't formally, although I had a tutor once when I was twelve. At times I miss a formal education, but at others I thank God for everything else I have now. What I have got from my childhood aren't toys, but memories. And happy memories are better than any toy."(Who but a J would plan ahead like that?)

"It's a great feeling to think that I can be a friend to so many people through my movies."

"We need an extreme movement because what is happening to animals is so extreme. Some misinformed people claim that animal rights activists are terrorists, but these people are simply ignorant of who the real terrorists are - the companies and industries that torture literally billions of animals each year. (The Animals Voice Magazine - 1989)"

"It still strikes me as strange that anyone could have a moral objection against somebody's sexuality, it's like telling someone else how to clean their house."

"We are taught to consume. And that's what we do. But if we realized that there really is no reason to consume, that it's just a mind set, that it's just an addiction, then we wouldn't be out there stepping on people's hands climbing the corporate ladder of success."

"When I was old enough to realize all meat was killed, I saw it as an irrational way of using our power, to take a weaker thing and mutilate it. It was like the way bullies would take control of younger kids in the schoolyard."

"I don't want to die in a car accident. When I die it'll be a glorious day. It'll probably be a waterfall."

"When I was younger, I was worried about how others viewed me and if I was good enough. I realize now that you can't mold an image or try to be something that you are not. As far as being an actor is concerned, your work really speaks for itself."

"It might take a few of these movies before there's a natural stride with the whole issue. Then one day, it wont even be an issue - which is what I'm hoping. - On My Own Private Idaho (1991)
Of course, that clear obsession with moral issues that people so much love to stereotype INFJ's into is there.

If these quotes make River Phoenix an INFJ, then I must be an INFJ, too. :shock:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely INFP. Has a lot of moralistic view on many things, and a strong opposition against anything fake or phony, which is typical for Fi users.