• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm currently watching the Death Note anime with my ENFP SO. Both of us are enjoying it more than anything we've watched in years. An INTJ friend of mine recommended it to us, and we've later joined him in recommending it to our other friends, two of whom have caught the bug - both INTJs.

I'm wondering if Death Note is something like the ultimate INTJ story or if it appeals equally to other types? (My SO has a soft spot for INTJs - I'm not sure he would be enjoying it quite as much if he didn't. ;))

For those not in the know, Death Note is a story about two master strategists. (Well, it is so far, at any rate. The anime is still running in Japan, and I haven't read the manga.) I consider both of them to be archetype INTJs, but then again, I could be biased. This leads to my second question: What types do you think Light and L are? I'm particularly interested in hearing whether any INTPs see them as INTP.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I dont know why, but I've never been able to get into Anime. I can see elements that appeal, but the reality always passes me by.

I recognise that there are adult issues addressed, but the presentational style, and the way it is often applied to childish figures (either actual children, or childish adults) is a turn off to me.

I know, it's my loss.

-Geoff

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I dont know why, but I've never been able to get into Anime. I can see elements that appeal, but the reality always passes me by.

I recognise that there are adult issues addressed, but the presentational style, and the way it is often applied to childish figures (either actual children, or childish adults) is a turn off to me.

I know, it's my loss.

-Geoff

I'm not into anime in general either. Tried watching Neon Genesis Evangelion a few years back, it didn't take. Too angsty.

Death Note, however, is pure NT. :D And although the protagonists are young adults, at least they're more like 20 than 14. ;)

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Mh I downloaded the first episode to take a look at it, but it's without subtitels, but from what I see and the little I understand it seems interesting, have to look if I can find an episode with English or German subs, then I will vote in your poll :D .

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mh I downloaded the first episode to take a look at it, but it's without subtitels, but from what I see and the little I understand it seems interesting, have to look if I can find an episode with English or German subs, then I will vote in your poll :D .

Cool. :) Please withhold judgment until you've seen at least a couple of episodes though. They're only twenty minutes long, and the first one just introduces the setting.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Ok, I will.
I found out that there is apparently also a live-action film, called "Death Note, The last Name" (Desu nouto), thought I'd let you know :D.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/
It's got an average vote of 7.4/10 so it's probably quite good.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
INTP and loved it. GF is INTJ and loved it.

We argue over who is INTP and INTJ in the actual show... just for the fun of it. (L is INTP! I'm telling you, INTP!)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ok, I will.
I found out that there is apparently also a live-action film, called "Death Note, The last Name" (Desu nouto), thought I'd let you know :D.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/
It's got an average vote of 7.4/10 so it's probably quite good.

Oh, both movies were excellent, if you don't compare them to huge mega-million productions. They both took #1 spots in Japan for quite some time.

(They differ from the anime so you can watch anytime.)

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Meh, it was decent. I put it in the catergory of animes like Fullmetal Alchemist, where they just do a bunch of stuff for effect, whether it makes any sense whether any human being would ever do it or not. It was also fairly obvious that if you gave a shit about anyone, their heads-a-splode. It was better than FMA for that, though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
where they just do a bunch of stuff for effect, whether it makes any sense whether any human being would ever do it or not.
Is there any anime that doesn't do that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's the beauty of anime -- it's confusing and insensible and campy as hell most of the time... but MAN, does it look gorgeous!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I have found that Miyazaki gives his characters believable motivations and backstories. That's why I don't hate his stuff. :)

Edit: A notable lack of heads-a-sploding, too. That can be a benefit or a drawback, depending on my mood.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have found that Miyazaki gives his characters believable motivations and backstories. That's why I don't hate his stuff. :)
I found the same problem in Spirited Away.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I found the same problem in Spirited Away.

Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro are much less random. There's still some randomnity (uh, catbus?) but it's not as distracting as it is in Spirited Away.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro are much less random. There's still some randomnity (uh, catbus?) but it's not as distracting as it is in Spirited Away.
I don't mind random so much as the incomprehensible character actions/motivations.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't mind random so much as the incomprehensible character actions/motivations.

Yeah, that's what I like about Kiki and Totoro-- the randomness is by and large not in the main characters.

There are some cultural things that don't translate too well, but other than that, :wubbie:

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
I did like FLCL. The incomprehensible characters were, if you understood what they represented, perfect.

Death Note also pissed me off a little because it pretty much plays to the myth of the self-controlled sociopath. Ain't no such thing.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Death Note also pissed me off a little because it pretty much plays to the myth of the self-controlled sociopath. Ain't no such thing.

I never saw him as a sociopath... he reverts too well to being a 'true believer' after forgetting the death note. I saw it as a very functional person twisted by power. The fact he is intelligent and dedicated makes it look like he sociopathic, but in both cases he is driven by a greater vision, not a lack of empathy (ie: will to do harm).

Alienclock

MBTI Type
infp
Just to butt in a bit, hope no one minds... But I have so MET a self controlled sociopath. This girl I knew was.... terrifying... and she could work anyone!! Scary...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTP and loved it. GF is INTJ and loved it.

We argue over who is INTP and INTJ in the actual show... just for the fun of it. (L is INTP! I'm telling you, INTP!)

Could L understand Light so well if he wasn't the same type though? They strike me as being two of a kind, which is probably my strongest argument for L being INTJ and not INTP (I assume there's no doubt whatsoever about Light being INTJ :devil:).