• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Hmm...must be an anime cartoon. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance...

Sad, cuz if there was ever an anime cartoon that I figured you would enjoy, then "Death Note" would be mind twisted enough to fit the bill. No offense. :heart:

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Sad, cuz if there was ever an anime cartoon that I figured you would enjoy, then "Death Note" would be mind twisted enough to fit the bill. No offense. :heart:

Exactly. Death Note is made for your macabre mind, Uber. ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now what makes you think I have a macabre mind?

I'm just never stoned enough to enjoy cartoons.

(Anyone care to hit me up?)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Wow, Kiddo! Thank you! This dub is surprisingly good. I didn't expect to like Light's voice, but it's not bad. It just makes me want to watch the series all over again! Ahhh. *swoon* x)

I watched the subtitled Japanese version on Youtube. It's nice to be able to downsize the window and still listen to what's going on, like you can with the dub, but I think there's something about watching the show in its original element - in Japanese - that makes it much more 'adult' and mature. I think in America we're so used to cartoons being for children. They have nothing close to the depth and captivation of adult movies and TV shows. But listening to and watching Death Note in Japanese - now that's adult. It's more compelling. I think listening to Death Note in English allows the childishness we normally associate with cartoons to become associated with Death Note. It's not anything conscious, it just happens.

I'd recommend watching it in Japanese with English subtitles first, for effect, and then, if you're still interested, watch it in English. It's the way I did it, and I'm happy I did. I do think Kiddo's link to the dub is cool, though. I may watch it dubbed, because I enjoyed it so much the first time.

So, if anyone by some chance does want to watch Death Note in its original element, please do! YouTube - Deathnote 1 Rebirth 1/3

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Also, hearing what Light said in the dub strengthens my previous opinion that he was an INFJ. "I killed them both. I really - I killed two men. Those were human lives! It won't be overlooked. Besides, who am I to pass judgment on others? No - no, wait. Maybe I'm wrong. This is exactly what I've been thinking about lately. This world is rotting, and those who are making it rot deserve to die. Someone has to do it, so why not me? Even if it means sacrificing my own mind and soul, it's worth it. Because the world can't go on like this! I wonder - what if someone else had picked up this Note? Is there anyone out there other than me who'd be willing to eliminate the /vermin/ from the world? If I don't do it, then who will? That's just it, there's no one. If I don't do it, no one will. I'm the only one who can. With the Death Note, I'll change the world."

He killed people, but behind his thirst to kill there was an idealistic drive. He sounds remarkably like a stone-cold INFJ gone wrong. Maybe a type one on the enneagram. Someone who believes in punishment and can't really muster pity for those who are in the 'wrong.' He's constantly separating people into two groups: right and wrong - and right and wrong eventually become those who are with him, and those who are against him. Sounds a bit like bent ideals.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Hm, I have no idea what Light is. He is obviously a narcissist and potentially psychotic, both of which confound whatever type he might be. He somehow doesn't seem empathetic like an INFJ. I guess there is one way to find out how different types would respond to this situation.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Hm, I have no idea what Light is. He is obviously a narcissist and potentially psychotic, both of which confound whatever type he might be. He somehow doesn't seem empathetic like an INFJ. I guess there is one way to find out how different types would respond to this situation.

I agree. Being a psychopath probably confounds type. I've always wondered if it was possible for a psychopath to even be an F, since being a psychopath requires that you can't empathize with other people's pain.

NightSymphony

MBTI Type
IXTJ
I'm currently watching the Death Note anime with my ENFP SO. Both of us are enjoying it more than anything we've watched in years. An INTJ friend of mine recommended it to us, and we've later joined him in recommending it to our other friends, two of whom have caught the bug - both INTJs.

I'm wondering if Death Note is something like the ultimate INTJ story or if it appeals equally to other types? (My SO has a soft spot for INTJs - I'm not sure he would be enjoying it quite as much if he didn't. ;))

For those not in the know, Death Note is a story about two master strategists. (Well, it is so far, at any rate. The anime is still running in Japan, and I haven't read the manga.) I consider both of them to be archetype INTJs, but then again, I could be biased. This leads to my second question: What types do you think Light and L are? I'm particularly interested in hearing whether any INTPs see them as INTP.

I believe the Thinkers (NTs) would be most interested in Death Note. Seeing as how my friend (Female INTP) and I (Female INTJ) love the story and unique plot of Death Note. However, a few of my other friends, who are mainly NPs seem to think it is a rather dark story, either that or it is hard to grasp and boring. So, I suppose, Death Note is probably a better and more interesting and exciting show for NTs.

In my personal opinion, the NPs seem to want more emotional or funny television shows, so Death Note to them would be boring.

Light Yagami is an ENTJ, but later in the series, he slowly becomes more like an INTJ. Nate River [Or Near] is an INTJ, also, but he appears later in the series of Death Note, L Lawliet is INTP and Mihael Keehl [Mello] is an ENFP.

Last edited:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have just discovered Death Note, and it was love at first sight. I was just blown away by the concept, and in general I love geniuses, both real and fictional, so both the characters L and Light appeals greatly to me. And I mean, the show is just so full of surprises and clever twists, and you get the feeling it is very well thought out, which I love. I instantly typed Light as INTJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never heard of the cartoon until Mycroft's typing thread of the characters, but if it's anime, then it must be crap.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've never heard of the cartoon until Mycroft's typing thread of the characters, but if it's anime, then it must be crap.

Actually you are going to love it, but it's your loss if you are going to be that prejudiced.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually you are going to love it, but it's your loss if you are going to be that prejudiced.

Anime is hard for me to watch with all the flashing lights and rough animation. Now if it's made into a live-action big-budget movie (like Transformers or James Cameron's upcoming Avatar), then I'll consider it.

Methinks he's trolling. Don't take the bait.

No, I was just confirming my vote in writing. Carry on...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Moved from A&E.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Anime is hard for me to watch with all the flashing lights and rough animation. Now if it's made into a live-action big-budget movie (like Transformers or James Cameron's upcoming Avatar), then I'll consider it.

As far as I can remember, there isn't a lot of flashing lights in Death Note, the series is rather dark. I think the animation of the series is a delight, but sure, if you are allergic to rough... You can see the first ten minutes of the series here (just to get an idea of the animation): YouTube - Death note episode 1 part 1

A live-action movie (Japanese) has been made, but it sucks. The special effects are just awful, and the acting as well, so you would surely dislike it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A live-action movie (Japanese) has been made, but it sucks. The special effects are just awful, and the acting as well, so you would surely dislike it.

Well, I saw about 3 minutes of it, and I've seen enough.

Now America needs to make a live-action movie with expensive special effects, preferably in the English language.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree. Being a psychopath probably confounds type. I've always wondered if it was possible for a psychopath to even be an F, since being a psychopath requires that you can't empathize with other people's pain.

As an F I would say that no I could not go and directly kill someone without feeling bad about it. However, the beauty of the Death Note is that you have no part in their actual act of dying except that you initiated/decided it. It's like hiring the "cosmic forces" to do the dirty work for you. I could definitely see an F falling victim to that sort of convenience.

I'm bringing this up to bring up a point about Light's character. (I just got finished watching the first episode and I searched out to see if there were any posts around! ^^;) I got the vibe that he had INFJ preferences. He initially felt a strong amount of guilt but then he rationalized it by thinking that he is doing the right thing for everyone's good. He believes that he will be a trustworthy "god" over the world; and he wants some kind of recognition/kudos because of it (typical of INFJs). He mentioned that he wanted people to know that someone is casting judgment on the wicked. I recall a couple of posts about INFJs that went over the idea that INFJs tend to wish they could control other people's minds and live in a way that emulates their "vision". It seems like he has a great opportunity to learn an important lesson.

I could see how he could have a thinking preference though, so maybe INTJs have a similar type of behavior. I am definitely about to go watch more episodes and maybe I could get some more insight into his character. I have a feeling that he would respond with the same level of emotional panic he did when he killed the first to people if he were to encounter the mourning family of one of those he cast judgment on. He has a cold exterior and I think he also has a warm interior that he is denying so that he can follow through with his "vision". Then again, I must admit that it is a cartoon and I could be thinking too deeply about this. ;)

Even if he is not an INFJ, I also have another gut feeling that this series will deliver a lesson about the consequences of trying to control the world through casting judgments. A valuable lesson worth pondering, in my opinion.

edit: Also, I would like to call to attention the scene in episode 4 where he in a sense "counsels" Ryuk. He tells him that he should take what he learns in the human realm and apply it to the Shinigami's world to make it a better place. Though I do want to add that since Japanese culture has significant differences from ours (they're collectivists and we're individualistic) I'm sure that there are some things that should be considered that I might not be aware of.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and I love it. I often imagine myself having this kind of ability to "cleanse" the world, so this storyline hits quite close to home and helps me illustrate the errors in this kind of thinking.

My best friend's INTJ boyfriend also loves it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Merged similar threads