• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gandhi

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Am interested in Gandhi's type and so searched for a discussion like this... and then I see something that I disagree with posted in the discussion and want to clarify something:

^ They [feelers] are, but they're also stronger at times. They simply have a greater range of emotional depth, at both extremes.

Nope. Feeling types aren't necessarily any more deeply emotional than thinking types. That's not the "simple" difference between these two functions. I've seen the simple difference being described like this: Feeling types are people-oriented and thinking types are issue-oriented. My own example of this difference is how one relates to arguments. A thinking type would focus on the argument's content: who said what, who's right and who's wrong. A feeling type would focus on the dynamics between the people: is someone being mean or inappropriate, is someone being misunderstood or treated unfairly. Myself, I can focus on the content of a discussion as long as there's no argument, but if there's an argument, I easily start focusing on the people, which is a manifestation of my feeling.

(This example is my own invention and how I see the dichotomy at its simplest level. I welcome critique about my example.)

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
-Gandhi always found self-control, discipline, and hard work to be very easy. He took on leadership roles very early on, while he didn't actively seek out leadership and had very few traits of an ambitious self-promoter, he was confident in his ability to lead and organize.

When he was in South Africa in his twenties, there were others who were disappointed with the discrimination against Indians, and others who were doing something about it- Gandhi was the one who held the reins of leadership despite only being his twenties.
Hmm, I'm not sure. To me, leading by example of self-discipline sounds more P than J. As Quinlan already said, his endless discipline was directed inwards more than outwards.

To me it sounds like he picked up the mantle of leadership because he was the only one who could, and not because power in itself stoked any fire in him.

Last edited:

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Isn't it obvious that Gandhi is an INFP? ;)

I actually saw glaring Fi in him.

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."

"Where there is love there is life."

These few quotes above are all very Fi. Love comes within oneself. We are love. We feel love internally, then we project this love that we feel internally outwards onto the external world.

"I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won't presume to probe into the faults of others."

"Man's nature is not essentially evil. Brute nature has been know to yield to the influence of love. You must never despair of human nature. "

Fi-Ne. Remaining optimistic and seeing the world through rose-colored lenses. There is no evil people in this world, because even evil people have something beautiful in them. Instead of picking apart people's flaws, why not we focus on their beautiful points instead? Despite how ugly this world can be at times, we must continue to remain optimistic and not give up hope, aye?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Woah. I am seeing glaring Te in here. Fi values says, "We are love, we need to spread love into this world, this world needs more kindness" and then Te says "I want to change this world for the better. Let's use this love to change the entire world, let's destroy all evil in this world. Let's be the change that we wish to see in the world so that others will follow our footsteps and my mission of changing this world will finally be accomplished."

"Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances."

Fi again. Of course peace comes from within and it's unaffected by outside circumstances. I am tuned into my inner values, and my inner harmony is based on the alignment of my inner values, so as long as my inner values are in harmony with each other, why wouldn't it be possible for me to gain inner peace?

"To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest."

Fi again. We must always practice what we preached, we must always stay true to our values as much as possible. Only when we lead by being a good example ourselves, then we can manage to change the world through our Te.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ They are, but they're also stronger at times. They simply have a greater range of emotional depth, at both extremes.

Thinkers have immense emotional depth. We just prefer to use our mind first and then our heart.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ghandi seems very N to me. I dont know what else. He is just someone at peace which is what allows him to be who he is. when u dig deep inside you will unearth whats within. If you have peace then when u dig deep inside you will pull out peace.

It reminds me of what i told me son yesterday...attitude controls your manerism. Change your attitude and your mannerism changes. Everything you do and say will come across different without even trying. Its the difference between reading how to speak and present yourself differently and just working on your issues and allowing your attitude to hange which will automatically change how you speak and present yourself

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About a year ago, I worked on a book of Gandhi's correspondence with Madeleine Slade, one of his British disciples and I just cannot see an Fi-dom asking--expecting--another human being to change themselves, their needs, desires, identity so completely, just because of their potential.

That, and the obsession with controlling bodily practices and habits (food, sex, bowel movements) ... super inferior Se if you ask me. INFJ gets my vote.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I think Gandhi was an INFJ.
I read a biography on him.
Here are my reasons for thinking so.

-He was always very sensitive. He is described as being very sympathetic and empathetic.
-He was described as very reserved, and despite being a revolution leader- unlike more Extraverted revolutionaries (e.g: Martin Luther King), little is described about the wide range of friendships he had- probably because he didn't seek such things.
-Gandhi always found self-control, discipline, and hard work to be very easy. He took on leadership roles very early on, while he didn't actively seek out leadership and had very few traits of an ambitious self-promoter, he was confident in his ability to lead and organize.
When he was in South Africa in his twenties, there were others who were disappointed with the discrimination against Indians, and others who were doing something about it- Gandhi was the one who held the reins of leadership despite only being his twenties.

Hence, why I think Gandhi was an INFJ.

That still does not explain why he is infj.