• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Malcolm in the middle.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Lois: ESFJ (She's an unhealthy SJ if I've ever seen it; very self-righteous.)

Why would you say she is unhealthy?

OK, i know a few of her method are slightly extreme. You can see deep down though that she is only behaving the way she does because she cares.
She wants her children to realise that life isn't all bunnies and rainbows. Sometimes it is hard and you don't always get what you want even though you do have the best of intentions.

I personally think she is funny as hell.
In some ways i relate to her, others no.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love the show. I am not sure Lois is unhealthy. I think you are allowed to act a little crazy when you have five boys (and counting) and work at a drug store. I don't think I'd call her self-righteous, either. Headstrong, cynical, and intense, perhaps. She's hilarious.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love this show!

Malcolm: An incredibly healthy INTP, maybe even an ENTP.

Lois: ESFJ

Hal: ESFP

Reece: ESTP

Dewey: ????

Francis: ESTP, or ESFP

(Malcolm's character is loosely based on creator, Linwood Boomer's real life experience growing up "gifted")

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Why all of you think Malcolm is an introverted?
He is NEVER alone and he likes being around others.
He NEVER shuts up and he is very active in the external world.
The difference with Dewey (a true strong introverted) is evident.

VagrantFarce

Lois is a pure-bred ESTJ, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. She's such a vindictive, heartless, controlling bitch.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
X marks spots I can't decide, and I love this show.

Lois: EXTJ. Incredibly unhealthy
Malcom: INTP
Reese: ESXP
Dewey: INTX
Hal: ENXP
Stevie: INTJ
Francis: INXX

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

Yeah, he can very well be an ENTP!

And Lois can be an ESTJ, that works too.

Hahahahaa, she is so awful it's awesome! :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

I don't think Malcolm's very extroverted at all. A perfect example was a scene in which Malcolm was in a small party, and felt absolutely suffocated. He didn't talk to anyone, and was miserable at the party. He doesn't really like being around others, he has about two or three friends, and he talks to the camera more than other people.

You're right about Dewey though, he is definitely an Introvert.

Lois is a pure-bred ESTJ, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. She's such a vindictive, heartless, controlling bitch.

She's so emotional sometimes though. She gets angry and cries a lot. I think she's an unhealthy ESFJ.

Dewey: INTX

Dewey's F. He has tremendous empathy, and definitely is a Feeler over a Thinker. INFJ or INFP, that's a tougher question.

VagrantFarce

She's so emotional sometimes though. She gets angry and cries a lot. I think she's an unhealthy ESFJ.

Surely ESTJs can get angry and cry a lot as well? She just doesn't seem bothered about having friends or being nice or cordial, she just administrates and criticises everything. Plus there are a number of times where she'll do whatever it takes to get her way.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
My absolute favorite TV show..
I positively delight in it..
It never gets boring no matter how many times I watch it.

A few interesting facts.. It has no laugh track nor no live studio audience.. It is shot with Film not in typical TV video ..All scenes are shot using only one camera and It was the first sit-com where the main character talked directly to the viewers.
truly ground breaking

Now for my guesses

Hal-ISFJ
Lois-ESFJ
Malcolm-INTP
Reese-ISTJ
Dewey-INFP
Francis-xNFJ

Other characters

Piama-ESFJ
Craig-INTP
Stevie-INTJ
Spangler-ESTJ
Otto-ISFP
Mr Herkabe(Malcolms teacher) ENTJ

JMO..

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Surely ESTJs can get angry and cry a lot as well? She just doesn't seem bothered about having friends or being nice or cordial, she just administrates and criticises everything. Plus there are a number of times where she'll do whatever it takes to get her way.

I think the key difference is that ESFJs DO NOT WANT to be in charge. Their perfect world simply runs like they expect it to (according to whatever paradigm they have latched onto, whether it be middle america soccer mom, east coast elite progressive, Orange county pretentious or whatever...). Again, their perfect world just lets them fit into the roles they wish everyone played, and they would take care of the rituals. Typical middle american male ESFJ might be concerned with throwing the superbowl party or arranging the march madness bracket, but he/she doesnt WANT to be "in charge".

ESTJs DO WANT to be In Charge. Take miss piggy. She absolutely ALWAYS wants to be the In Charge directing personality, even when people are following the roles she wants them too.

I personally think lois fits the ESTJ mold much better according to this analysis...

the others:
Hal ENTP (think less of the ENTP inventors, and more of the ENTP idiosyncratic oddities...Hal shaving his BODY hair while reading the newspaper in the kitchen, his sudden obsession with "speed walking" etc...)
Malcolm INTP
Reece ESFP
Dewey INFP
Stevie INTJ
Francis ENFJ

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
I also agree that Lois is ESTJ. Getting angry a lot is not a T or an F thing. Ts with unhealthy tertiary/inferior F functions can lose their temper and lash out emotionally just as much as unhealthy Fs can, especially when dealing with people extremely close to them who they can't easily detach from (like their own children). I don't remember Lois crying, but that's also not type-indicative.

Aside from that, I can see a lot of inferior Fi in Lois's behavior. She usually sticks to her own values over group values. For example:

- When Kitty cheats on Abe, Lois refuses to forgive Kitty at first even though Abe (and everyone else, IIRC) welcomed her back with open arms.

- When Dewey steals the bottle of cognac from Lois's work and she gets fired, she refuses to beg for her job back even when her family is in desperate financial need (if that isn't stubborn inferior Fi pride, I don't know what is).

She's also described in the show as not caring about what anyone thinks of her (and her behavior reflects that) which seems much more Te than Fe.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lois: ESFJ

Hal: ESFP

Francis: I don't know; haven't seen enough of him

Reese: ESTP

Dewey: INFP

Malcolm: ENTP

Don't know the other characters enough.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I don't think Malcolm's very extroverted at all. A perfect example was a scene in which Malcolm was in a small party, and felt absolutely suffocated. He didn't talk to anyone, and was miserable at the party. He doesn't really like being around others, he has about two or three friends, and he talks to the camera more than other people.

Yeah... most ENTPs are exactly the same way until they "find themselves".

Geno

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Malcolm in the middle!

Louis- ENTJ
Malcolm -IXXX
Reese- ESTP
Dewey-IXFX
Hal- XXXP
Francis- EXXP