User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: mitch hedberg

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Whatever he is he's one of my favorite comedians ever. Love him.

Now that I think about it his humor is driven by Se.

[YOUTUBE="IueXtzdC6kA"]Mitch Hedberg[/YOUTUBE]
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    That's the thing, NT humor seems to revolve around human nature. It's more likely that someone joking about amusing surface observations would be an SP, you think?
    I think you may be disregarding the possibility that he's making fun of those surface observations. The thing is, his quirky little one-liners very typically have to do with the idea that humor lies in simple observations. But his comedic timing and phrasing scream N to me. I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say INFJ. I think the reason he's so brilliant is that he's learned to embrace his awkwardness around people, but if you notice, he always tries to endear himself by exposing his inner shyness. I could see it as an attempt to feel connected to the audience to try to gain comfort. Maybe I'm over-analyzing, but his little bizarre quickie jokes just seem more Ni to me.

MBTI
    ISFJ

actually, now that I think of it, his observations usually revolve around changing the perspective in an unusual way to gain new insight. That's like the dictionary definition of Ni.

"I got a King sized bed. I don't know any kings, but if one came over, I guess he'd be comfortable."

"I was in a store reading a magazine, and the clerk said, 'This is not a library.' Allright, I will talk louder then!"

"Carmex is supposed to heal cold sores. I don't know if it does, but it will make them shiny and more noticeable."

I think an SP would notice these things, but wouldn't look into it enough to see the humor. It would just be a normal simple everyday observation.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    actually, now that I think of it, his observations usually revolve around changing the perspective in an unusual way to gain new insight. That's like the dictionary definition of Ni.

"I got a King sized bed. I don't know any kings, but if one came over, I guess he'd be comfortable."

"I was in a store reading a magazine, and the clerk said, 'This is not a library.' Allright, I will talk louder then!"

"Carmex is supposed to heal cold sores. I don't know if it does, but it will make them shiny and more noticeable."

I think an SP would notice these things, but wouldn't look into it enough to see the humor. It would just be a normal simple everyday observation.
    A lot of it does have to do finding humor on classification, language, and wordplay which does tend to be a Ti/Ne thing. "When I grew up, I had a twin bed, and wondered where my brother was."

But like you said, he may not be taking the language approach, but more the "multiple shifting views/interpretations" Ni approach, and finding it that way.

I will say, that his stage presence completely lacks animation, and he was known to have crippling stage fright. Do SPs get stage fright?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Letterman is an INTJ.

You are probably right about MH. It's obviously SP humor & demonstrates once again that most people here are very, very, very bad at typing people. You can't get a much more obvious display of extroverted sensation in standup...
    Completely agree. He was ISFP. The Ni that you all are seeing in the way he reinterprets common situations is tertiary...for instance:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
    I bought a house, itís a two-bedroom house. But I think itís up to me how many bedrooms there are, donít you? Fuck you, real estate lady, this bedroom has an oven in it. This bedroom has a lot of people sitting around watching TV. This bedroom is over in that guyís house.
    But this doesn't show nearly as much as his Se. There's hardly ever been a more impulsive performer who lived purely for the sake of present-moment pleasure. Toward the end of his life he would ask his audiences for drugs and then take whatever they gave him on stage before performing. Talk about Se need for thrills!

INTP is silly. He doesn't talk about anything important or try to make any serious point about anything, ever. He also doesn't do very much in the way of that Ne wordplay you guys are talking about--he just observes what's going on around him, describes it literally and wonders why things are called names that don't literally describe them. Se+less pronounced Ni, duhhh.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Completely agree. He was ISFP. The Ni that you all are seeing in the way he reinterprets common situations is tertiary...for instance:

But this doesn't show nearly as much as his Se. There's hardly ever been a more impulsive performer who lived purely for the sake of present-moment pleasure. Toward the end of his life he would ask his audiences for drugs and then take whatever they gave him on stage before performing. Talk about Se need for thrills!

INTP is silly. He doesn't talk about anything important or try to make any serious point about anything, ever. He also doesn't do very much in the way of that Ne wordplay you guys are talking about--he just observes what's going on around him, describes it literally and wonders why things are called names that don't literally describe them. Se+less pronounced Ni, duhhh.
    How do you tell the difference between Ni dom vs. Ni tertiary? Not disagreeing, just curious in how it manifests in different roles.

Edit: Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever said anything important or tried to make a serious point about anything in 4500 posts either, HA! Uh oh...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    How do you tell the difference between Ni dom vs. Ni tertiary? Not disagreeing, just curious in how it manifests in different roles.
    It's not that the use of that function on its own reveals that it's tertiary; it's the influence of that function relative to others. There is Ni in his comedy, but it's dwarfed by the Se.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

sammy

He was one of my favorite comedians. I can watch him anytime and still get a kick out of his observations.

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It's not that the use of that function on its own reveals that it's tertiary; it's the influence of that function relative to others. There is Ni in his comedy, but it's dwarfed by the Se.
    I guess this makes sense, his comedy IS entirely observational in nature. Se identifies, Ni twists.

Riva

^ Agree.

Se sees. Ni twists. This is quite typical of introverted Se humor as I have observed (Si). ISxPs are masers of delivery. And in their humor Ni is quite apparent. (Mostly in their humor.)