• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Catcher in the Rye

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Been a while since I read the book, but from what I remember...

Holden - INFP
Phoebe - ISFJ
Mr. Antolini - INTP
Stradlater - ESTP

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I dunno, I'd put him down more as an ENFP with very developed Fi. He just keeps seeking out people throughout the book, even when he doesn't particularly like them or have anything he wants to say to them. He can't seem to stand being on his own.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sex is something I really don't understand too hot. You never know where the hell you are. I keep making up these sex rules for myself, and then I break them right away. Last year I made a rule that I was going to quit horsing around with girls that, deep down, gave me a pain in the ass. I broke it, though, the same week I made it - the same night, as a matter of fact. ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 9

:D ya definitly not entp. :D

Whats nice is the occasional T he shows, but that is crumbled at best:

I mean most girls are so dumb and all. After you neck them for a while, you can really watch them losing their brains. You take a girl when she really gets passionate, she just hasn't any brains. ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 13

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I dunno, I'd put him down more as an ENFP with very developed Fi. He just keeps seeking out people throughout the book, even when he doesn't particularly like them or have anything he wants to say to them. He can't seem to stand being on his own.

HAve you seen my avater? Holden wishes for isolation.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
HAve you seen my avater? Holden wishes for isolation.

He dreams about isolation with the log-cabin etc, but even those dreams include lots of people coming to visit him. But he doesn't seek isolation, even though he's going through a rough patch. He keeps seeking company.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Holden can't be anything else but INFP- in my opinion.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think problematic introverted teens without any support from friends or family tend to behave a little more extroverted than they actually are.

I vote for INFP.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
For the record, I'd be flattered to think of Holden as an INFP, even though I know some people hate him. But I just think he's way too outgoing throughout the book to be an extovert. It's true that the book takes place over a fairly short space of time (a few days), but that's really all we have to go on. The longer he's with people the more amped up he seems to get. His younger brother (the one who died) seemed more like an INFP to me, from how he was described.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
To which MBTI type(s) would this novel appeal to most?

Starry

Alrighty. So I just read this book for the first time ??? in spite of the fact I believe it was assigned to me in highschool (I must have somehow merely winged the coursework /enfp)...and while yes...I did consider Holden an INFP for say...the first 5 pages...that certainly didn't last. And now I believe I am one of the only people on the planet that believes Holden is an ISTP. Actually...there are a few people arguing for ISTP in this thread but it appears most people think he is INFP (some even agrue for some sort of depressed ENFP) and I just don't see it. Okay...so I guess that is all I wanted to say. Just wanted to acknowledge somewhere that I finally read this 'goddamn book'.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alrighty. So I just read this book for the first time ??? in spite of the fact I believe it was assigned to me in highschool (I must have somehow merely winged the coursework /enfp)...and while yes...I did consider Holden an INFP for say...the first 5 pages...that certainly didn't last. And now I believe I am one of the only people on the planet that believes Holden is an ISTP. Actually...there are a few people arguing for ISTP in this thread but it appears most people think he is INFP (some even agrue for some sort of depressed ENFP) and I just don't see it. Okay...so I guess that is all I wanted to say. Just wanted to acknowledge somewhere that I finally read this 'goddamn book'.

I thought he was ISTP too. But yeah, favorite book of all time. Couldn't put it down. Need to read it again!

Starry

Oh cool!!! I'm NOT the only one haha!!! Yeah sns!!! (there's now more I want to write here but I need to go and plug in my computer...ugh!).

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
now read Franny and Zooey. it's a lovely aperitif + you'll be done in an hour's time. :heart:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Holden had a very live and let live attitude from what I renenber he was an existentialist. I would think maybe that he was an IxTP

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Holden Caulfield a thinker?
I just don't see it. ENFP is logical (I guess), but I vote INFP.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah, he's a blatant INFP.

Well more like what we would now consider a blatent stereotype of the cynical INFP. If indeed that is his type....

The annoying thing about him as a character, regardless of his type, is I dislike him for his flagrant hypocrisy. All he does is whine and bitch about the 'phoniness' of those around him while being no less of one himself.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read the book but its been many years. He could be INFP but when I read it I kept thinking ISTP. Cynicism is usually a Ti thing in my experience. Pointing out "phoniness" is quite Ti too. Hm...