• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

songwriters/musicians

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
to say something someone says sounds presumptuous and elitist is presumptuous and elitist in itself, more so...but all right.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
For the love of God, I did not say that SFs have no feelings. C'mon now. Of course, as we are all human beings. But it definitely can be true that one type has deeper, and more consistently deep, feelings than another type. Notice the 'er' at the end of the word - that means it has more of one thing, not that it has that thing and the other doesn't. And frankly, not to sound arrogant or anything, but I don't think the sf could understand the nf feelings. So they may think their's is deep, but really never have felt as much as that before. It's like if you take one shot of alcohol, and think 'damn I'm buzzed' but after 5 shots, then know the truth of what being intoxicated is. Metaphor exaggerated, but you get the point.

And Mariah Carey? "touch my body" ? Do I need to say anything else to prove the sensorism there? lol

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Although I'm not F, I don't think you can say NFs have deeper feelings than SFs.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
um, feelings are feelings. the way they are activated within the perceptual framework may be different. N = connections, S = raw data.

N is better at abstracting, metaphor, and organizing information in a different more loosely relational way than S. N articulations are far different than S, as a result.

but isfps have tons of feeling, it's just not as interesting to me in terms of the articulation. tho i do still like some isfps' work. but it's rarer, i like their style and attitude at times more than their writing. sometimes their writing is great too (see bob dylan, john steinbeck, eddie vedder, possibly tom waits, etc).

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Not really. You wouldn't say "thinking is thinking," because obviously there are different ways of thinking...some think of the whole picture, others just the details, etc.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I don't know, because many of those who you type as N musicians are my favorite musicians, Bob Dylan and a few others aside. (I count around 45 N-primarily INFP, INTP, and INTJ- that I like to 15 SP-primarily ISFP and the one ISTP- according to your categorizations.)

I don't want to get into typing people I don't know. I'm just making observations on an overall tendency I see in the typing others do and I have a hard time believing a lot of it. (For example, J Mascis as an INFP? Are you freaking kidding me? Talk about someone who gets technical with his guitar!)

I think you are right about J Mascis btw. ISTP seems to fit him.

B

brainheart

Brainheart, watch this video for two seconds, then tell me Mascis isn't infp:
YouTube - J Mascis talks about his Fender® Jazzmaster® Guitar

How on earth is this INFP vs ISTP? I'm married to an ISTP who is OBSESSED with J Mascis. Believe me, I know everything that is humanly possible to know about J Mascis without being intimately connected to him. (Not to mention a fair share about at least one ISTP.)

How is what he is saying NF? It is all straight-forward, concrete literal language. He is talking about his guitar in very literal, non-metaphorical, technical terms.

I don't talk like this at all. But my husband does...

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
You are all discussing feeling as it only comes through lyrics. Bullshit.

This is a songwriters/musicians thread, you should take in account everything from all the details of a song's structure to how elegantly a guitar player executes a vibrato. I believe many NF's overlook this kind of things. Also NF's tendency to romanticize results in many Sensors with lyrics other than "i love you, touch me" being mistyped as N's.

B

brainheart

Strapping young lad:

I can't believe I'm defending Mariah Carey, but I think the point trying to be made here is that just because someone isn't the best at expressing their depth of feeling verbally does not mean that they lack it.

I agree with you and I'm an ENFP. In fact, I'm the one who brought this up... read my other posts.

P.S. although you put it better than me. :)

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I saw Bon Iver live last night and I got INFP from Justin.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
all your adjectives for lou reed seem to fit intp more than intj. i could maybe see entj, but it seems more of a struggle. he's a 5w4 too, i'm guessing? he still wrote songs like i'll be your mirror, which seems out-of-touch with entj.

i read the book "uptight" and it was a velvet underground book. do you agree that john cale is probably an infj?

coltrane as infj, his personality does seem like he could easily be infj, 4w5, but his music seems unfathomable for me as infj music. but i definitely need to give this some serious thought.

How does "controlling", "self assured" and "calculating" seem more INTP than INTJ? These are often (negative) descriptions of INTJs, are they not?

He seems more like an empirical thinker anyway, and he kept people around based on their value to him, which I think would point more in the direction of some (really twisted) Fi and I just see extraverted sensing as having something to do with his drug use (whether teritary or inferior), as well his awareness of the world around him.

I think he wrote 'I'll Be Your Mirror" for Nico to sing... and it was probably done Tongue-in-Cheek, knowing him.

To be honest, I always saw Cale as INTP and Reed as INTJ. Lou Reed was more interested in his lyrics (in projecting some kind of point, a message, etc...) as he was quite taken with the early 60's Folk revival (especially Dylan); John Cale, on the other hand, seemed to be interested in making complex music and loathed the Folk scene. I believe this is what ultimately led to Cale splitting from the group - Reed had more of an agenda of how he wanted things to go.

I've seen him listed as 6w5 (counterphobic), which seems to fit. John Cale was the 5w4.

What exactly about Coltrane's music makes it unfathomable for INFJ? A Love Supreme I always see as an example of an INFJ in their prime, doing what they do best (In Coltrane's case, Music). Transcendent, Spiritual (He was a very spiritual person) introspective and wholly emotional. Coltrane was also ridiculously meticulous about the structure and the overall production of his music.

From Wikipedia:

Coltrane also explored Hinduism, the Kabbalah, Jiddu Krishnamurti, African history, and even the philosophical teachings of Plato and Aristotle.[14] In the liner notes of A Love Supreme Coltrane states "[d]uring the year 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life. At that time, in gratitude, I humbly asked to be given the means and privilege to make others happy through music." In his 1965 album Meditations, Coltrane wrote about uplifting people, "...To inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives. Because there certainly is meaning to life

That's seems pretty INFJ to me.

He would also spend hours in a room by himself, to be alone with his thoughts and the "music in his head". I've never known ISFPs (or Sensate based types in general) to consciously withdraw from the world in this way. He may not be INFJ, but I don't think ISFP is possible for Coltrane.

He does seem much more like an INFJ to me than Davis (Who I always thought was ENTx).

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Is anyone familiar with Alice Glass from Crystal Castles? Im curious of what you think her type is? She reminds me of Karen O maybe a ISFP?