• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

songwriters/musicians

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
she definitely seems like an introvert. it's hard to say what her type is.. INTP? INFP? ISFP?
i think ethan is an ENTP.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
new assumptions:

lou reed entj
beck entp
pj harvey infj
leonard cohen infj
jim morrison enfp
trey anastasio entp
roger waters intj
david sitek istp
isaac brock istp
rivers cuomo istp
jack white isfj
colin meloy isfj

stillwater

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think Johnny Cash in an ISFP. The vibe is off to me. I've been listening to him since I was a kid because my dad played it all the time, and it doesn't seem right. I'd say ISTJ or at the very least some type where the feeling function isn't primary or auxiliary. He seems troubled by the idea of right and wrong. There's an abrasive bold intensity to it too but also something stern and steady. I see Te in him, in his carriage and looks, especially when he was younger, and as he ages his Fi seems to develop past the right/wrong problem and into something with more depth.

As a side note, I liken Johnny Cash's ISFP vs ISTJ debate to Trent Reznor's INFP vs INTJ. I think because music is an emotional medium the feeler thing is assigned a little hastily. I think a really good point of emphasis is that they both actually performed the same song (Reznor wrote it) in "Hurt." Now either they're emo F's and just emoting all over or that's not what makes the song so powerful. It's powerful, in my opinion, because it's the raw emotions of someone who doesn't deal in emotions. There's less control, less comfort in that realm, and I think that there is something to be said about that when typing people. Feelers may "feel" more, they might have more depth, but emotions scare a thinker much more, so in cases where the emotions are given the light of day--their rawness may be misinterpreted.

Fecal McAngry

How does "controlling", "self assured" and "calculating" seem more INTP than INTJ? These are often (negative) descriptions of INTJs, are they not?

He seems more like an empirical thinker anyway, and he kept people around based on their value to him, which I think would point more in the direction of some (really twisted) Fi and I just see extraverted sensing as having something to do with his drug use (whether teritary or inferior), as well his awareness of the world around him.

I think he wrote 'I'll Be Your Mirror" for Nico to sing... and it was probably done Tongue-in-Cheek, knowing him.

To be honest, I always saw Cale as INTP and Reed as INTJ. Lou Reed was more interested in his lyrics (in projecting some kind of point, a message, etc...) as he was quite taken with the early 60's Folk revival (especially Dylan); John Cale, on the other hand, seemed to be interested in making complex music and loathed the Folk scene. I believe this is what ultimately led to Cale splitting from the group - Reed had more of an agenda of how he wanted things to go.

I've seen him listed as 6w5 (counterphobic), which seems to fit. John Cale was the 5w4.

What exactly about Coltrane's music makes it unfathomable for INFJ? A Love Supreme I always see as an example of an INFJ in their prime, doing what they do best (In Coltrane's case, Music). Transcendent, Spiritual (He was a very spiritual person) introspective and wholly emotional. Coltrane was also ridiculously meticulous about the structure and the overall production of his music.

From Wikipedia:

Coltrane also explored Hinduism, the Kabbalah, Jiddu Krishnamurti, African history, and even the philosophical teachings of Plato and Aristotle.[14] In the liner notes of A Love Supreme Coltrane states "[d]uring the year 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life. At that time, in gratitude, I humbly asked to be given the means and privilege to make others happy through music." In his 1965 album Meditations, Coltrane wrote about uplifting people, "...To inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives. Because there certainly is meaning to life

That's seems pretty INFJ to me.

He would also spend hours in a room by himself, to be alone with his thoughts and the "music in his head". I've never known ISFPs (or Sensate based types in general) to consciously withdraw from the world in this way. He may not be INFJ, but I don't think ISFP is possible for Coltrane.

He does seem much more like an INFJ to me than Davis (Who I always thought was ENTx).

Lou Reed is an INFP. Dunno about Cale or Nico.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Lou Reed isn't an INFP.

If Lou Reed is an INFP, he has to be the most fucked up, horrid and despicable INFP you'd hope to never meet in your life.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fecal, Lou Reed isn't INFP. He has Fi indeed, like state's typing of him as entj, but he is not by any means a Fi-dom. How did you reach that conclusion?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not getting this jazz musicians as XNXXs bit. ISTP is supposed to be jazz central, it would seem. According to Lenore Thomson, ISTP musicians have a need to "recognize the underlying structure of music, the way it takes shape in an unfolding pattern. This kind of perceptual learning ultimately trains the ability to improvise. Once ISTP musicians grasp the internal structure of a song, they're free to experiment with its possibilities..."

Jazz is improvisation. But I'm also exceedingly tired of this whole typing of most musicians as Ns, as you may know. What so many see as intuiting is often in actuality a good ear, which has to do with keen observation, not the connection of potential possibilities. Not only that, creativity is often expressed by the tertiary function, which in ISXPs is Ni. So I can see how Intuiting-types would pick up on the intuitive aspect of ISXP creations and declare them as N-types.

I'm not saying that there aren't any XNXX musicians. I'm saying that I don't believe they are the vast majority as you all seem to think.

I have had the honour of playing with many great jazz musicians in my local area, and a large number of them are ISxPs.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm confident that Marilyn Manson is an INTP, not INTJ, you can search the thread

Also, Axl Rose is definitely not ESTP; he's an introverted tortured genius type. Gut instinct says INTJ. Ni dominant- he has a very strong sense of how things "should be", which resulted in him firing everybody and refusing to apologize even when he's wrong... lots of Te, too

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have had the honour of playing with many great jazz musicians in my local area, and a large number of them are ISxPs.

That is soo crazy. My ISTP has always played the guitar (taught himself at 13) but it was when he started fiddling around on the keyboard that he really, imo, came into his own. He plays chords but also improvises so well that his jazz sounds like a cross between Ray Charles and Charlie Brown (as I say :) ). I always bought into the notion promoted by Keirsey that isfps were the 'true' musicians, but there's something about that Ti/Se/Ni thing, at least with mine, that is unbelievable, and truly savant. I :heart: jazz.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a lot of respect for jazz musicians; I just can't do it. >_> It's too much for me.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kobain - ENTP
Ani DiFranco-ENFJ
Tori Amos-INFP

Fecal McAngry

Lou Reed isn't an INFP.

If Lou Reed is an INFP, he has to be the most fucked up, horrid and despicable INFP you'd hope to never meet in your life.
As is usually the case, I'm right.

Dunno what else you call an extremely sensitive introvert who extroverts intuition...

Very obvious INFP in my book...

Was Lou unkind to you or something?

It must be nice to be steady, it must be nice to be firm
it must be nice never to move off the mark
It must be nice to be dependable and never let anyone down
it must be great to be all the things you're not
It must be great to be all the things that I'm not
I see you in the hospital your humor is intact
I'm embarrassed by the strength I seem to lack
If I was in your shoes, so strange that I'm not
I'd fold up in a minute and a half
I'd fold up in a minute and a half
And I didn't get a chance to say goodbye
No - I didn't get a chance to say goodbye
It must be nice to be normal it must be nice to be cold
it must be nice not to have to go oh up or down
But me I'm all emotional no matter how I try
you're gone and I'm still here alive
You're gone and I'm still here alive
And I didn't get a chance to say goodbye
There are things we say we wish we knew and in fact we never do
but I'd wish I'd known that you were going to die
Then I wouldn't feel so stupid, such a fool that I didn't call
and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye
I didn't get a chance to say goodbye
No there's no logic to this - who's picked to stay or go
if you think too hard it only makes you mad
But your optimism made me think you really had it beat
so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye

Lou Reed, "No Chance - Regret"

heart

heart on fire
I think it is mistake to try and type musicans by their lyrics. Creativity takes place consciously and unconsciously. They could be unconsciously tapping into their inferior functions when they write. We can't know. Better to look at their biographies, what is known about their lives.