User Tag List

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: songwriters/musicians

9w1 sx

she definitely seems like an introvert. it's hard to say what her type is.. INTP? INFP? ISFP?
    i think ethan is an ENTP.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

Senior Member Array the state i am in's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

new assumptions:

lou reed entj
    beck entp
    pj harvey infj
    leonard cohen infj
    jim morrison enfp
    trey anastasio entp
    roger waters intj
    david sitek istp
    isaac brock istp
    rivers cuomo istp
    jack white isfj
    colin meloy isfj

Junior Member Array

I don't think Johnny Cash in an ISFP. The vibe is off to me. I've been listening to him since I was a kid because my dad played it all the time, and it doesn't seem right. I'd say ISTJ or at the very least some type where the feeling function isn't primary or auxiliary. He seems troubled by the idea of right and wrong. There's an abrasive bold intensity to it too but also something stern and steady. I see Te in him, in his carriage and looks, especially when he was younger, and as he ages his Fi seems to develop past the right/wrong problem and into something with more depth.

As a side note, I liken Johnny Cash's ISFP vs ISTJ debate to Trent Reznor's INFP vs INTJ. I think because music is an emotional medium the feeler thing is assigned a little hastily. I think a really good point of emphasis is that they both actually performed the same song (Reznor wrote it) in "Hurt." Now either they're emo F's and just emoting all over or that's not what makes the song so powerful. It's powerful, in my opinion, because it's the raw emotions of someone who doesn't deal in emotions. There's less control, less comfort in that realm, and I think that there is something to be said about that when typing people. Feelers may "feel" more, they might have more depth, but emotions scare a thinker much more, so in cases where the emotions are given the light of day--their rawness may be misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedipa_Maas View Post
    How does "controlling", "self assured" and "calculating" seem more INTP than INTJ? These are often (negative) descriptions of INTJs, are they not?

He seems more like an empirical thinker anyway, and he kept people around based on their value to him, which I think would point more in the direction of some (really twisted) Fi and I just see extraverted sensing as having something to do with his drug use (whether teritary or inferior), as well his awareness of the world around him.

I think he wrote 'I'll Be Your Mirror" for Nico to sing... and it was probably done Tongue-in-Cheek, knowing him.

To be honest, I always saw Cale as INTP and Reed as INTJ. Lou Reed was more interested in his lyrics (in projecting some kind of point, a message, etc...) as he was quite taken with the early 60's Folk revival (especially Dylan); John Cale, on the other hand, seemed to be interested in making complex music and loathed the Folk scene. I believe this is what ultimately led to Cale splitting from the group - Reed had more of an agenda of how he wanted things to go.

I've seen him listed as 6w5 (counterphobic), which seems to fit. John Cale was the 5w4.

What exactly about Coltrane's music makes it unfathomable for INFJ? A Love Supreme I always see as an example of an INFJ in their prime, doing what they do best (In Coltrane's case, Music). Transcendent, Spiritual (He was a very spiritual person) introspective and wholly emotional. Coltrane was also ridiculously meticulous about the structure and the overall production of his music.

From Wikipedia:

Coltrane also explored Hinduism, the Kabbalah, Jiddu Krishnamurti, African history, and even the philosophical teachings of Plato and Aristotle.[14] In the liner notes of A Love Supreme Coltrane states "[d]uring the year 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life. At that time, in gratitude, I humbly asked to be given the means and privilege to make others happy through music." In his 1965 album Meditations, Coltrane wrote about uplifting people, "...To inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives. Because there certainly is meaning to life

That's seems pretty INFJ to me.

He would also spend hours in a room by himself, to be alone with his thoughts and the "music in his head". I've never known ISFPs (or Sensate based types in general) to consciously withdraw from the world in this way. He may not be INFJ, but I don't think ISFP is possible for Coltrane.

He does seem much more like an INFJ to me than Davis (Who I always thought was ENTx).
    Lou Reed is an INFP. Dunno about Cale or Nico.

Lou Reed isn't an INFP.

If Lou Reed is an INFP, he has to be the most fucked up, horrid and despicable INFP you'd hope to never meet in your life.

5&4 sx

Fecal, Lou Reed isn't INFP. He has Fi indeed, like state's typing of him as entj, but he is not by any means a Fi-dom. How did you reach that conclusion?

8w9 sp/sx

prince - entp
    I N V I C T U S

^i hate to admit it but you're probably right >_>
    Call me Visa, please!

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I'm not getting this jazz musicians as XNXXs bit. ISTP is supposed to be jazz central, it would seem. According to Lenore Thomson, ISTP musicians have a need to "recognize the underlying structure of music, the way it takes shape in an unfolding pattern. This kind of perceptual learning ultimately trains the ability to improvise. Once ISTP musicians grasp the internal structure of a song, they're free to experiment with its possibilities..."

Jazz is improvisation. But I'm also exceedingly tired of this whole typing of most musicians as Ns, as you may know. What so many see as intuiting is often in actuality a good ear, which has to do with keen observation, not the connection of potential possibilities. Not only that, creativity is often expressed by the tertiary function, which in ISXPs is Ni. So I can see how Intuiting-types would pick up on the intuitive aspect of ISXP creations and declare them as N-types.

I'm not saying that there aren't any XNXX musicians. I'm saying that I don't believe they are the vast majority as you all seem to think.
    I have had the honour of playing with many great jazz musicians in my local area, and a large number of them are ISxPs.
    Call me Visa, please!

I'm confident that Marilyn Manson is an INTP, not INTJ, you can search the thread

Also, Axl Rose is definitely not ESTP; he's an introverted tortured genius type. Gut instinct says INTJ. Ni dominant- he has a very strong sense of how things "should be", which resulted in him firing everybody and refusing to apologize even when he's wrong... lots of Te, too
    Call me Visa, please!