• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing Politicians

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do people think George W is an introvert? He seems 'extremely' extroverted to me. He also seems very ST.

I would say and ESTP, rather strikingly so. Why are people suggesting things like ISFJ and ISFP? Those are some of the least likely to lead. They are consistent, warm, keeping the emotional peace. I can't imagine anything further from George W.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
Here are my guesses, not that I really know enough about them to pinpoint them exactly.

George W. Bush: ESFJ

Dick Cheney: INTJ

Hilary Clinton: ESTJ/ENTJ

Bill Clinton: ESFP

Al Gore: INTP

I agree except that with Al Gore, you have to ask if you're looking at the Al Gore who was running for President and whose public face was pure Spock, or the Al Gore who lost the election, grew a beard, and was actually seen having fun, or what?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
There is one thing that we all should remember. One of the main things about political campaigns is faking your personality.
With that, here are a few extremely tentative guesses:

Hillary Clinton: ENTJ
John Kerry: INTP
George Bush: I admit I can't see through all his personality-caricaturing campaigning. I have no idea what his type is. He is another type: a JERK
Mike Gravel: ESFP

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no specific comment on any politicians.

Politicians try way too hard to gravitate toward a handful of shallow personae, and their lives are inherently shrouded.

This becomes a common issue among Enneagram circles. Nearly every American politician tries to be a Three, a One, or occasionally an Eight.
Those are the dominant personalities, and as such, the ones that the public wants. It tells you nothing of who these people really are. :thumbdown:

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll go with ENTJ for Hillary and ESTP for Dubya. ESFP for Billy-Bob. Nary a clue about the others. As you say, they all wear false faces.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Meanlittlechimp once gave a strong reminder/counterpoint on the other forum: whatever a test may show, the binary definition of introversion and extroversion results in significantly different personalities, e.g., the ESTP and ISTP.

So ESTPs, for those who know one, aren't simply extroverted ISTPs, which seems to be the assumption here -- but distinct and unmistakable. If we accept theory, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was an ESTP: smooth, charismatic, articulate, genteel, though perhaps beneath an adaptive deportment somewhat inchoate. George W. Bush is, to any objective observer, informal and irreverent, shrewd and resolute, of a sure identity; though like any ISTP -- which he patently is -- at a disadvantage in a political culture that eschews bluntness and especially coarseness.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Bush isn't introverted.. even by that definition.

I agere with that. When you see him talk, he constantly makes of the cuff comments without thinking about what he says, an ISTP would never do that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also consider, too, that Bush is the puppet of an INTJ (Cheney), which makes his own type deceiving.

Somehow I don't think an ESTP would allow himself to be taken advantage of. Speaking from a strictly Jungian standpoint, Bush is an Si, most likely an ISFJ.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Bush isn't introverted.. even by that definition.
You're making the same error by quantifying introversion and extroversion, rather than contrasting two personality types and their functional motivations. Given that observers, especially those predisposed to skepticism, note that one finds depth in the man as one talks one-on-one, it's quite arguable.

without thinking about what he says
That's a misinterpretation. More often, the president relies heavily on a limited set of phrases -- something that an extrovert would never do, or so artlessly. Nor is that kind of public performance unlike that of an ISTP. Put an ISTP behind a podium, politically deprive him of the freedom to speak plainly, and you have a fish out of water.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Htb, what makes you think he'd be acting most naturally in an interview (especially an international one)? He's a politician. I know perfectly well what you're getting at. I'm 48% introverted myself.. he's not an SJ. He's an ESTP.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Htb, what makes you think he'd be acting most naturally in an interview (especially an international one)? He's a politician.
Biographies of heads of state belie that kind of cynicism and its suggestion of nescience. It's easy to talk to an elected official, size them up, and compare them to another. And if someone were so skilled at deception, why not project felicity everywhere? Suggested above is the notable difference between comportment with a group and an individual.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Lol. Seriously now. That argument was not 'to the man'. I think you're just trying to sound smart... It's not working.