User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default The Office [what types enjoy this humor]

I've come across a few people that watch the show and just don't find it funny too often, yet I think it's pretty hilarious. Would it just be a preference that's not really entwined with MBTI or are there certain types that gravitate towards this humor and certain types that would more commonly not enjoy it?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I have an ENFJ friend who likes this show quite a bit. A few ESTJs I know like it too.

I always felt extroverts and/or thinkers tended to be more interested in this show...But all types enjoy it I'm sure. What I say is just my experience. I think it's funny, but I won't go out of my way to watch it either. Time is too scarce to be sitting around watching a TV show if you don't really, really like it, I say.
    A hero is someone who does the right thing without expectation of reward, just because it's the right thing to do.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    iNFj

From what I've seen of it, I think it's funny. But it's not like I watch the latest episode. Usually I'll watch it when my mom rents the season. Then maybe as I'm making dinner or having some, I'll watch an episode.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Some episodes I have found hilarious, a majority of it is just obnoxious tripe
    5 3 9

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Everyone likes The Office. It attracts the lowest common denominator audience as well as more refined viewers.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Some episodes I have found hilarious, a majority of it is just obnoxious tripe
    Agreed.

I prefer the catherine tate show or stand up comedy.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    I

I find it funny, though not hilarious. My kind of comedy is more along the lines of mid-90's Simpsons. An ISFJ I know absolutely loves The Office.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I love it! I do think the show is at its best, though, when slightly more subtly showing us the humor to be found in mundane office life. For example, there was a cold open last season where everyone is in a meeting, and rather than focusing on Michael (who, for once, thinks he has an audience in the palm of his hand and runs away with it), they're all looking past him to the DVD screen to see whether the bouncing DVD icon ever goes directly into the corner of the screen. Sometimes I'm more amused by things like that than the more obvious laugh out loud moments. The British series is tighter and better-constructed on the whole, since the U.S. team are having to stretch things to generate so many new plot ideas.

I also like the comedy/tragedy dichotomy. At this point, I'm invested in poor Michael, whose insane behavior stems from a pathological need for approval. Or Jim and Pam, who after years of bad timing might actually have gotten it right. The British version especially could turn on a dime and take you from being amused or outraged to existentially depressed.

I haven't really noticed any type correlations among people who like it (I like it, my INFJ friend doesn't, I know ESFPs and ESTPs who do, etc.). If I were going to theorize, I might say that very strong Fe users might find the uncomfortable humor a little too uncomfortable.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't watch it but on the few occasions I have caught it, I mostly end up laughing @ Dwight. Like when Jim had him convinced he was a vampire, lol.

I never saw the British version but I'm sure I'd enjoy it more. Spaced is one of my all-time favorite series' and I cringed when I heard rumors they might be doing an American version.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Well ricky gervais is an ENTP and admits every character he plays is like him a lot so i would say its really an example of an unhealthy ENTP.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!