• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depeche Mode (Gahan & Gore)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's do Martin Gore first, as he actually writes the songs.

I feel pretty confident in saying he's an IxFP and enneagram 4. Whether he is S or N is the question.

I thought INFP at first because:
1. He has a preoccupation with S&M, and check out INFPgc to confirm how very male INFP that is. :D
2. He dresses pretty weird & artsy, but not as put-together as an S might be
3. Lyrics seem very idealistic..."Somebody" seems like the NF love anthem. He laments the "competitive world" in Everything Counts.

He could be ISFP because:
1. I'm not too sure I see Ne in the lyrics...they actually seem quite straight forward. Metaphors are pretty cliche.
2. He cranks the songs out consistently...and although all P's may procrastinate, INFPs seem some of the worst.
3. He has the artsy ISFP thing going on & maybe I just want him to be INFP :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BUMP - No DM fans here? Really?

Jaded Idealist

MBTI Type
INFJ
DM fan here (and I see OrangeAppled has a thing for Siouxie).

I strongly doubt Martin is an S. My (totally unbiased :D ) vote goes to INFJ, although INFP seems likely, too. Your #1 and #2 points in support of ISFP might as well be supporting points for INFJ. I do feel a pretty uncanny connection with the way he thinks and acts.

I could buy Gore as an S, though, maybe ESFJ or ISFJ. He gives me the impression of a rather average Joe besides the fact that he's in the band. NTM he's had no involvement in DM's songwriting up until 2007's Playing the Angel (and only lyrics on a few songs since then).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Also, :D:D.

I've figured for awhile that the band is one of those infp/intj projects. Who is what exactly... I don't know.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:D:D:D:D

Depeche Mode?

What, you have something against well-crafted, electronic pop songs with lyrics that sound like darkly wonderful 10th grade poetry? No true INFP doesn't eat that stuff up. :cool:

------------

I concur that Gore is likely INFP. His crazy hair makes me think P over J.

I think Gahan is ExFP, leaning towards S also. He has an energetic stage presence and seems so comfortable with the spotlight that I think he must be E over I. He also seems quite the partier and has been very hedonistic at times, to the point of threatening the band's existence. He likes to keep up to date with the cool music of the time, such as becoming obsessed with the grunge scene in the early 90s. Seems like an ESFP having fun in the spotlight and indulging in conforming to the nonconforming trends. :cheese:
I don't know his solo stuff, but that may shed some light.

Oh, as for the INTJ aspect, that may likely be Alan Wilder who is known to be a methodical producer. I don't know much else about him though.

Jaded Idealist

MBTI Type
INFJ
I concur that Gore is likely INFP. His crazy hair makes me think P over J.

The crazy hair and outlandish clothes was a New Wave thing in general, let's try not to forget that. :)

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
Singer = INFP
no doubt in my mind.
He and I are IDENTICAL in song writing and stuff.
I hear his songs and it pains me just to listen to the lyrics because it's like he wrote what I was just about to. <333
Kind of like when you jinx someone.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Gahan, ESFP.
Gore, INFP.
Fletch, ISTJ.
Wilder, for the completists, INTP.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What, you have something against well-crafted, electronic pop songs with lyrics that sound like darkly wonderful 10th grade poetry? No true INFP doesn't eat that stuff up. :cool:

I've decided DM lyrics are quite brilliant, actually. There is a formula to the lyrics based on the number of syllabals in each line of verse that creates a very comfortable pop structure while simultaneously conveying some deep meaning...

Something about this band resonates INFP to me, at least...

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not into this band, but that there singer is infp. About halfway through in the interview linked below, he discusses staring out the window as a kid and getting sent to the headmaster for telling his teacher that anything's more interesting than what's going on his her class. Powerful performer, though.

YouTube - Studio Brussel: Interview Dave Gahan Depeche Mode

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm not into this band, but that there singer is infp.
Nah, SP. Dave Gahan dissolved into tears at the end of the 1988 Rose Bowl performance. He was convinced his pinnacle was behind him. Only one type so covets moments.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gahan, ESFP.
Gore, INFP.
Fletch, ISTJ.

I mostly agree.
What makes you say INTP over INTJ for Wilder? I don't know what much about him, as I said before.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Gahan, ESFP.
Gore, INFP.
Fletch, ISTJ.
that's pretty spot on.

Oh and i love, love, love DM! I'm a former BONG member, I've seen them live twice, still collect DM single's and even ate at Fletch's London restaurant years ago. Probably my favorite band of all time.

Alan Wilder could be INTJ since he followed through with departing from the band. He wasn't getting the recognition he felt he deserved so he moved on. From what I've read, he was never really close to the other members off stage.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry I´m about 4 years too late. FTR I Love DM, fav of ALL time.

Gahan esfp
Gore infp