• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of all the U.S. Presidents

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cinnamon Sugar, so what led you to settle on ISTJ for James Polk?

(Still looking for people's opinions of Woodrow Wilson's type, also.)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
George Washington - ESTJ
John Adams - INTJ.
Thomas Jefferson - INFJ 4w5
Andrew Jackson - ESTP
Abraham Lincoln - INTP 9w1
Ulysses S. Grant - INTJ
Theodore Roosevelt - ESFP 8w7
William Howard Taft - INFJ
Woodrow Wilson - INTJ
Calvin Coolidge - ISTJ
Herbert Hoover - INTJ
Franklin D. Roosevelt - ESTP 7w8
Harry S Truman - ISTJ 6w5
Dwight D. Eisenhower - INTJ 8w9
John F. Kennedy - ESTP 7w8
Lyndon B. Johnson - ESTP 8w9
Richard M. Nixon - INTJ 6w5
Gerald Ford - ISTP
Jimmy Carter - INFJ 9w1
Ronald Reagan - ESFP 9w8
George H.W. Bush - ISTJ 6w7
Bill Clinton - ESFP 3w2
George W. Bush - ESFP 7w8
Barack Obama - ENFJ 3w4

theplacesyoullgo

I don't get how John Adams could be anything but a quintessential ENTJ. His writings fit ENTJ to a T. One of my favorite facts about him is that he wrote something like three times the amount of letters to Jefferson than Jefferson wrote to him during their famous correspondence in the last years of their lives. So ridiculously ENTJ.

heart

heart on fire
I totally see the Te but where are people getting N for John Adams? :huh: Hamilton was ENTJ yes totally. But Adams? :huh: His feet were firmly on the ground and plugged into the world around him and the here and now. Pragmatic, dutiful, loyal. A fine example of SJ at its best.

theplacesyoullgo

I realize this is such an unsatisfactory answer - I've read two books on the guy and can't think of him as anything but ENTJ. His actual writing strikes me as over-the-top ENTJ. He was far too visionary to be ESTJ (the only plausible S option). I've actually never seen the guy typed as an S online... hm. Anyway, wish I could explain my thought pattern better.

heart

heart on fire
I have the feeling some of that more visionary stuff came from Abigail...:D

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
These are the presidents that I know by type:

George Washington: ISTJ, (he himself said that duty is man's ultimate joy.)
Thomas Jefferson: INTP, (an INTJ wouldn't have comprimised on the slavery issue.)
Abraham Linclon: INTP, (he filed a patent, and was interested in new technology.)
Lyndon Johnson (the reconstruction one): ISTJ, (He was soft on the old southern aristocracy and was quite conservative.)
George W. Bush (the new one, I wasn't alive with the old one): ESTP, (he was a an expert of making an ass of himself, and was heavily into partying, as shown by his innaugural balls, and his huge spending.)
Barak Hussein Obama: INTP, (he keeps things secret, on issue, and he is very strategic, as well as willing to let in new innovations instead of holding onto old beleifs blind to the contrary.)
I didn't claim Obama as an INTP just because I want to hype my type.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
George Washington - ISTJ
John Adams - INTJ. Maybe INTP.
Thomas Jefferson - INTP. Maybe INTJ.
James Madison - INTX
James Monroe - XSFP? (
John Quincy Adams - INTX
Andrew Jackson - ESTP
Martin Van Buren - ESFP?
William Henry Harrison - ESFP?
John Tyler - INTJ?
James K. Polk - ISTJ?
Zachary Taylor - ISFX
Millard Fillmore - ISTP?
Franklin Pierce - EXFX
James Buchanan - ESXP?
Abraham Lincoln - INTP
Andrew Johnson - ISTJ
Ulysses S. Grant - ISFX
Rutherford B. Hayes - ESXP
James Garfield - ESFX
Chester A. Arthur - XXFP
Grover Cleveland - ESTX?
Benjamin Harrison - IXTJ
William McKinley - ISFX
Theodore Roosevelt - ESTP
William Howard Taft - XSFJ
Woodrow Wilson - IXTX
Warren Harding - XXFP
Calvin Coolidge - IXTJ
Herbert Hoover - ISTX
Franklin D. Roosevelt - ESTP
Harry S Truman - ISTJ
Dwight D. Eisenhower - EXTJ
John F. Kennedy - ESTP
Lyndon B. Johnson - ESTX
Richard M. Nixon - ISTJ
Gerald Ford - ISFX
Jimmy Carter - ISFJ. Maybe INFJ.
Ronald Reagan - ESFP
George H.W. Bush - ISTJ. Maybe ISFJ.
Bill Clinton - ESFP
George W. Bush - ESXP

I think you are right for a lot of these. However, I'll let you know my opinions on a few I disagree with.

George Washington: ESTJ
(ESTJ's are just as dutiful as ISTJ's. Washington was described as being energetic and sociable. He wasn't an Introvert.)

John Adams: ENTJ
(Very outspoken and assertive, his attitude simply caused him to have a lot of enemies- but Extraverts can make enemies as easily as they make friends...)

James Madison: INTP
(Was meek- not something associated with INTJ's)

James Monroe: ISTJ
(Like Washington, very duty-focused but also more reserved and aloof.)

John Quincy Adams: INTJ
(Like father, like son- except J.Q Adams was even more INTJ than his father.)

Martin Van Buren: XSTP
(Not sure if he was Introvert or Extravert but he was considered to be a wily and crafty politician- much like Jackson. Not that ESFP's can't be wily but they are less likely to use such behavior for their own self gain.)

William Henry Harrison: ESTJ
(Serious and outspoken)

John Tyler: ESTJ
(Rough, not an innovative president but rather more practical.)

Zachary Taylor: ESFP
(What he enjoyed most was getting drunk with lots of people- not an Introvert.)

Millard Fillmore: ESFJ
(Very charitable and considerate- even though not the best of Presidents.)

Franklin Pierce: ESFP
(Similar reasons to Taylor)

James Buchanan: ISFJ
(Buchanan's presidency was similar to Pierce's but Buchanan was mostly trying to fix what Pierce broke.)

Ulysses S. Grant: INTJ
(Brilliant with military strategy. He wasn't like ESFJ Taft or ESFP Harding who had trouble saying no to his friends- Grant was simply completely unaware of how the political game was played.)

Rutherford B. Hayes: ESTJ
(Didn't allow drinking in the White House- very strict. However, strangely enough very religious ENFJ is also a possibility..)

James Garfield- ESFP
(Brilliant speaker and was somewhat of a hedonist.)

Chester A. Arthur- ESFP
(Shop-a-holic and hedonist)

Grover Cleveland- ESTJ
(Wouldn't take shit from anyone- very organized and hard-charged)

Benjamin Harrison- ISTJ
(Traditional and cold)

William McKinley- ESFJ
(Sociable and traditional)

William Howard Taft- ESFJ
(Got along with a lot of people and easily made friends.)

Woodrow Wilson- ISTJ
(Dutiful, didn't want to compromise anything, worrywart.)

Warren Harding- ESFP
(Good guy to have a beer with, lousy president)

Calvin Coolidge- ISTJ
(Not interested in theory- traditional)

Herbert Hoover- INTJ
(Engineering whiz, strong libertarian ideals, just didn't help us get through the Depression.)

Dwight D. Eisenhower- INTJ
(Military genius. Has said that he hated being out in public and didn't like seeing himself on TV. Pushed into politics, rather than actually desiring it.)

Lyndon B. Johnson- ESTP
(Opportunistic and flexible- had a "wing it" presidency.)

Richard Nixon- ESTJ
(Not sure actually.. he seemed more ESTJ than ISTJ in "Frost vs. Nixon" but ISTJ is very likely too.)

Gerald Ford- ISFJ
(Organized and devoted to tradition- very cooperative)

Jimmy Carter- ESTJ
(Behind the political smile is someone who is cold, calculating, and very ambitious. After Carter messed up everything towards the end of his first and last term, that was when he chose to withdraw more..)

George H.W. Bush- ISFJ
(Cooperative and easygoing with others. Not particularly outgoing- a near opposite of his son (ESTP))

George W. Bush- ESTP
("When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible.")

Presidents I didn't mention, I agree with you 100% (e.g: Lincoln, Roosevelt)

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
These are the presidents that I know by type:

George Washington: ISTJ, (he himself said that duty is man's ultimate joy.)
Thomas Jefferson: INTP, (an INTJ wouldn't have comprimised on the slavery issue.)
Abraham Linclon: INTP, (he filed a patent, and was interested in new technology.)
Lyndon Johnson (the reconstruction one): ISTJ, (He was soft on the old southern aristocracy and was quite conservative.)
George W. Bush (the new one, I wasn't alive with the old one): ESTP, (he was a an expert of making an ass of himself, and was heavily into partying, as shown by his innaugural balls, and his huge spending.)
Barak Hussein Obama: INTP, (he keeps things secret, on issue, and he is very strategic, as well as willing to let in new innovations instead of holding onto old beleifs blind to the contrary.)
I didn't claim Obama as an INTP just because I want to hype my type

Nothing you said in parenthases is type specific to INTP infact by your logic nearly all poloticians are INTP.
Also George W Bush is xSTJ, people arnt ESTPs just because you dont like tham.

Also ENTJ for Jackson 100%, he was a excelent stratigist and If you ever read anything he wrote you would agree. He was in no way an SJ he believed their were things in life he wanted and he was going to take them full force. Also some of his more idealist ways of thinking, his almost religous reverence for the will of the people, hes a total N.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Those're some of the flimsiest reasons to type someone as INTP I've seen, and I've seen my fair share of that kind of meager reasoning in my time here.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is better evidence for Lincoln being an INTP than what you quoted. I guess that was supposed to be "icing on the cake."

Andrew Jackson as ENTJ...sounds believable. So you don't think he was an SP?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Also George W Bush is xSTJ

Don't really see Bush as xSTJ, definitely not ISTJ at least. Can you say why you believe he's xSTJ?

Haha, no way is Obama an introvert, definitely not INTP. Just because he keeps things secret, doesn't make him INTP. Don't see the sense in that. Politicians generally keep things secret for a political agenda, not because of their personalities.

Cinnamon Sugar

MBTI Type
INFP
Nothing you said in parenthases is type specific to INTP infact by your logic nearly all poloticians are INTP. Also George W Bush is xSTJ, people arnt ESTPs just because you dont like tham.

There's no way Bush isn't ESXP. He's the only president whose type I'm completely sure of. I used to be midly obsessed with him, and have read lots and lots about him. I can understand thinking he's XSTJ, what with all that "I'm the decider!" crap, but he's really not. When he was younger, he was pretty much a stereotypical immature ESXP - lazy, restless, very impulsive, but also charming and gregarious. When he stopped abusing alcohol (I believe he quit on his 40th birthday?), he became more disciplined, organized, and scheduled, and when he got into politics it seems like he projected an image of being tough, decisive, traditional, etc. You know, a S(T)J image.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's my input on a few presidents:

Jefferson - INTJ

James K. Polk - I don't know other than some TJ type, but he's my favorite president thanks to a combination of They Might Be Giants and a history channel program I saw on him

Abraham Lincoln - INTP

James Garfield - Has to be some kind of NT, but I'm not sure which. He came up with his own proof of the Pythagorean Theorem. Not NT's don't do stuff like that, expecially considering he wasn't a mathematician.

Theodore Roosevelt - ENTJ

Harry S Truman - ISTJ

Dwight D. Eisenhower - INTJ

John F. Kennedy - ESTP

Richard M. Nixon - INTJ

Ronald Reagan - ESFP

George H.W. Bush - ISTJ.

Bill Clinton - ENFP

George W. Bush - ESFJ

Barrack Obama - ENTP (Yeah I know no one will agree with this, but I'm putting it out there anyway.)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Here's my attempt at typing the presidents. Some of these are mere guesses, while I'm of firmer opinion about others.

George Washington - ISTJ
John Adams - INTJ. Maybe INTP.
Thomas Jefferson - INTP. Maybe INTJ.
James Madison - INTX
James Monroe - XSFP?
John Quincy Adams - INTX
Andrew Jackson - ESTP
Martin Van Buren - ESFP?
William Henry Harrison - ESFP?
John Tyler - INTJ?
James K. Polk - ISTJ?
Zachary Taylor - ISFX
Millard Fillmore - ISTP?
Franklin Pierce - EXFX
James Buchanan - ESXP?
Abraham Lincoln - INTP
Andrew Johnson - ISTJ
Ulysses S. Grant - ISFX
Rutherford B. Hayes - ESXP
James Garfield - ESFX
Chester A. Arthur - XXFP
Grover Cleveland - ESTX?
Benjamin Harrison - IXTJ
William McKinley - ISFX
Theodore Roosevelt - ESTP
William Howard Taft - XSFJ
Woodrow Wilson - IXTX
Warren Harding - XXFP
Calvin Coolidge - IXTJ
Herbert Hoover - ISTX
Franklin D. Roosevelt - ESTP
Harry S Truman - ISTJ
Dwight D. Eisenhower - EXTJ
John F. Kennedy - ESTP
Lyndon B. Johnson - ESTX
Richard M. Nixon - ISTJ
Gerald Ford - ISFX
Jimmy Carter - ISFJ. Maybe INFJ.
Ronald Reagan - ESFP
George H.W. Bush - ISTJ. Maybe ISFJ.
Bill Clinton - ESFP
George W. Bush - ESXP

Comments? Dissenting opinions?

What's funny is that you're either close or right on for all of the presidents that I can remember Keirsey's types for. Sounds like a pretty good analysis.