• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of all the U.S. Presidents

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Obama: ENTP
Bush II: ESxP
Clinton: ENFP
Bush I: ISFJ
Carter: IxFP
Kennedy: ESFP
Lincoln: INFP
Washington: ENTP

I'm sure the ENTPs would love to claim Washington lol but I've heard some very convincing arguments that he's ISTJ. As far as I know, the only ENTP presidents we've had have been Obama, possibly Lincoln (most likely introverted, but a definite xNTP), and Teddy Roosevelt. Most say he's ESTP, but i don't buy it. There are so many things about him that say otherwise. He was always pushing innovation, even when it was unnecessary for a solution. heck, just this quote from his childhood paints him as more NT than SP:

"[I was] very fond of desultory reading and of natural history, and not excelling in any form of sport. Owing to my asthma I was not able to go to school, and I was nervous and self-conscious, so that as far as I can remember my belief is that I was rather below than above my average playmate in point of leadership; though as I had an imaginative temperament this sometimes made up for my other short-comings. Altogether, while, thanks to my father and mother, I had a very happy childhood I am inclined to look back at it with some wonder that I should have come out of it as well as I have!" -T.R.

Also, JFK comes off as more ESTP to me. I'd also label GWBush an ESTP, though ESFP is very easy to see as well. definitely not an N.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
You're right, I meant Franklin not Washington.
But look up some Kennedy Quotes. He was a peacemaker and humanist.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just read up on JFK, and I get what you mean. I can see him as an F.

As for 'Franklin', are you talking Ben Franklin, the founding father, or FDR? Because I can't see FDR being an N for some reason. I can see Teddy as ENTP, but FDR seems more xSTP to me. Most likely E.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Just read up on JFK, and I get what you mean. I can see him as an F.

As for 'Franklin', are you talking Ben Franklin, the founding father, or FDR? Because I can't see FDR being an N for some reason. I can see Teddy as ENTP, but FDR seems more xSTP to me. Most likely E.

Last name of course. Franklin was a creative genius, he invented the lightning rod among other.
As for the Roosevelts, I'd say ESTP for Teddy and ESFP for Franklin.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Right, definitely Ben Franklin was an ENTP, but he was never U.S. President.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Last name of course. Franklin was a creative genius, he invented the lightning rod among other.
As for the Roosevelts, I'd say ESTP for Teddy and ESFP for Franklin.

Totally agree on Ben Franklin (though he wasn't a president). He practically invented(lol) the quick-witted creator ENTP stereotype.

As for the Roosevelts, I see FDR as ESTP. He seemed to make his decisions based on facts and concrete logic. He was definitely an SP when you look at his thought process and decision making style. Very here/now.

Teddy, however, has always struck me as an NT. He didn't have that here/now intensity to his policies and ideas. He was often caught up in the future. I know that he seems very SP with his adventurous, rugged interests, but as a child he had asthma and couldn't go to school with the other children. I see his active adult life as him possibly making up for lost time. Besides, ENTPs can be into extreme sports too. If you look at his ideas and policies, he was very much an innovator. As Shudder said earlier in this thread, he would push innovation whether it was necessary for the solution or not. Heck, not to discredit FDR, but it was actually Teddy, under his progressive Bull Moose Party, who first introduced the notion of social security to the USA (though it was called 'social insurance' by him).

I see Teddy Roosevelt as proof that you don't have to be the wacky inventor science guy to be an ENTP.

P.S.
I just realized that my second ever post was actually made on this very thread on page 12, one year ago today. Ahh, memories.. #nostalgicmomentslol

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Right, definitely Ben Franklin was an ENTP, but he was never U.S. President.

Totally agree on Ben Franklin (though he wasn't a president). He practically invented(lol) the quick-witted creator ENTP stereotype.

Yeah, ok, but still, he was a founding father... and badass ;)

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As for the Roosevelts, I see FDR as ESTP. He seemed to make his decisions based on facts and concrete logic. He was definitely an SP when you look at his thought process and decision making style. Very here/now.

Teddy, however, has always struck me as an NT. He didn't have that here/now intensity to his policies and ideas. He was often caught up in the future. I know that he seems very SP with his adventurous, rugged interests, but as a child he had asthma and couldn't go to school with the other children. I see his active adult life as him possibly making up for lost time. Besides, ENTPs can be into extreme sports too. If you look at his ideas and policies, he was very much an innovator. As Shudder said earlier in this thread, he would push innovation whether it was necessary for the solution or not. Heck, not to discredit FDR, but it was actually Teddy, under his progressive Bull Moose Party, who first introduced the notion of social security to the USA (though it was called 'social insurance' by him).

I see Teddy Roosevelt as proof that you don't have to be the wacky inventor science guy to be an ENTP.

P.S.
I just realized that my second ever post was actually made on this very thread on page 12, one year ago today. Ahh, memories.. #nostalgicmomentslol

You are right about FDR. You are wrong about Teddy. He too was an ESTP. Se oozed out of him at every turn. If he was intuitive (which I doubt; I see him as the epitome of the intellectual sp) he was ENTJ. He was too determined, too purposeful, too proudly self-disciplined to be an ENTP. I see zero ne in him whatsoever. I could almost see him as sj if he wasn't so clearly se. You don't need to be an intuitive to be an innovator, that's just anti-sensor bias. What's more, his policies weren't even that innovative, from an intellectual perspective. His conservation policies had little to do with a grand vision for the future and a lot to do with him wanting a place to hunt and experience nature, and for others to do so. And the "introduced social security=N" idea directly contradicts your earlier typing of FDR as ESTP. FDR's policies were far more visionary and forward looking than Teddy's, and he was definitely a sensor.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
You are right about FDR. You are wrong about Teddy. He too was an ESTP. Se oozed out of him at every turn. If he was intuitive (which I doubt; I see him as the epitome of the intellectual sp) he was ENTJ. He was too determined, too purposeful, too proudly self-disciplined to be an ENTP. I see zero ne in him whatsoever. I could almost see him as sj if he wasn't so clearly se. You don't need to be an intuitive to be an innovator, that's just anti-sensor bias. What's more, his policies weren't even that innovative, from an intellectual perspective. His conservation policies had little to do with a grand vision for the future and a lot to do with him wanting a place to hunt and experience nature, and for others to do so. And the "introduced social security=N" idea directly contradicts your earlier typing of FDR as ESTP. FDR's policies were far more visionary and forward looking than Teddy's, and he was definitely a sensor.

...I don't see how Sgt Pepper saying a man's innovative spirit might indicate he's an N is "anti-sensor bias". If we consider that innovation is by and large considered a trait most related to iNtuitives, how is it anti-sensor to state that TR might be an N based on a largely N trait? i think you're reaching, all due respect.

In fact, one could say you were being very anti-ENTP by saying "He was too determined, too purposeful, too proudly self-disciplined to be an ENTP." That's far more 'anti-type biased' than anything you imagined him saying against sensors lol.

And are you sure he didn't have a grand vision for his conservation policies? That section of your argument wasn't very strong. How does one simply know something like that? it certainly seems like it was a 'grand vision', considering the policies had the sort of results a successful 'grand vision' would have.

also, SgtPepper didn't contradict himself, according to what I read. He never once used 'introducing Social Security' as a reason for typing FDR as an S. In fact, he actually stated the opposite of that by pointing out that social security was an idea FDR lifted from Teddy. My understanding of that statement was that the Sensor FDR actually borrowed the idea from the more innovative TR, thus making TR the more likely N, based on the largely N-trait of innovation, which TR possessed. I think you misread his message, or you were looking for something that wasn't there so hard that you eventually thought you saw it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Teddy Roosevelt was an ESTP. Pretty sure ESTPs can get asthma.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Teddy Roosevelt was an ESTP. Pretty sure ESTPs can get asthma.

Myself and the other poster have definitely supplied reasons beyond that. if that's the only point you can pick apart, then my logic must be pretty sound ;)

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well this was a hotter topic than I imagined it would be haha. I figured this thread would hibernate another year.

I hope this debate doesn't die. This is a fun topic, plus I love being on the underdog side of things.

First of all, I'd like to thank the poster 'Shudder' for cleaning up the B.S. on aisle 13 that Emotionalogic spilled. I think you hit all the important things that needed to be mentioned. For instance, I definitely didn't like being accused of 'anti-sensor bias' for just using common sense. I figured stating that innovation is more often an N thing than S would be considered stating the obvious, not being 'biased' haha. It's not like I was giving all the iNtuitives ice cream and handing out dunce hats to the Sensors. I was just stating a trait commonly associated with Ns, especially NTs.

Secondly, I notice my asthma comment seems to have confused somebody (msg_v2). I wasn't saying ESTPs couldn't have asthma. Allow me to expand for you: What I was saying is, as a child, TR was asthmatic and sickly. He wasn't very active, but he says he made up for it by being an 'imaginative temperament', I believe were his words. Here's an excerpt from a biography by Edmund Morris:

"..Since puberty he had taught himself to pluck the flower of safety out of the nettle of danger. Although his physical courage was by now legendary, it was not a natural endowment. He had been a timid child in New York City, cut off from schoolboy society by illness, wealth, and private tutors. Inspired by a leonine father, he had labored with weights to build up his strength. Simultaneously, he had built up his courage 'by sheer dint of practicing fearlessness'.."

The point I was making is he was naturally more of an NT than an SP. His SP traits were learned later on, in response to a sheltered childhood.

Now we all know that any person with any MBTI type can act however they want. Nothing is by the book. Hell, MBTI is nothing more than a fun theory, really haha. I guess it just depends on whether you type people based on how they are innately vs. how they are outwardly in response to their environment. I like to use a little of both.

No hard feelings to anyone, by the way. If I say anything rude, know that I'm (mostly) just kidding.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
..I guess it's hibernation time for this thread lol. I had a feeling it would die just as it was getting good. Its a shame. I like debates like this, too. I dunno if I totally agree with you on ENTP, but I'd say he was naturally more of an NT than SP. ESTP seemed more like the type of his public image than the type of his actual inner workings. Just like "an ESTP can have asthma", an ENTP can be a daredevil manly man. He was a definite enneagram 7w8, regardless.

EDIT: Actually, if we go by common enneagram/mbti combos, ENTP is probably correct. The one thing I'm sure of is that he's definitely 7w8, and 7w8s are way more often ENTPs than ENTJs.

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Teddy and Franklin were both ESTP. Their lifestyles attest to that. A sensor is someone who is not content with envisioning a future but the here and now, and Teddy engaged directly with nature throughout his life. That typically isn't found in the intuitive types who engage more in theory rather than hands-on experience. Franklin according to the celebrity type website once said he wanted a job that involved lots of travel and direct contact with different locales. He's an ESTP.

Some of the presidents we don't have a lot of information on. The big ones: Lincoln (INTP), John Adams (INTJ), Thomas Jefferson (INFJ), Washington (ISTJ), Roosevelts (both ESTP). There have been quite a lot of ESTP presidents, actually. I don't think there's ever been an ENTJ president, to my recollection.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Teddy and Franklin were both ESTP. Their lifestyles attest to that. A sensor is someone who is not content with envisioning a future but the here and now, and Teddy engaged directly with nature throughout his life. That typically isn't found in the intuitive types who engage more in theory rather than hands-on experience. Franklin according to the celebrity type website once said he wanted a job that involved lots of travel and direct contact with different locales. He's an ESTP.

Some of the presidents we don't have a lot of information on. The big ones: Lincoln (INTP), John Adams (INTJ), Thomas Jefferson (INFJ), Washington (ISTJ), Roosevelts (both ESTP). There have been quite a lot of ESTP presidents, actually. I don't think there's ever been an ENTJ president, to my recollection.

I honestly don't agree with your assessment of his goals and life being about here and now. So much of his political ideology and ideas were very, very future oriented.

I know it isn't typically found in iNtuitive types, but my argument is that TR wasnt the typical iNtuitive. Anyone who reads up even a little about his upbringing knows that he wasn't naturally a 'take action' kind of guy. Like the poster above that cited one of his biographies pointed out, TR went out of his way to become a active person because of how masculine his father was. He had to train himself to be fearless, little by little. On the flip side, he saw himself as very imaginative little boy and read an overwhelming amount of books. That habit stayed with him throughout his whole life. He went on to write over 35 books (43, i believe) on many subjects, like politics and the west. I'm not saying an ESTP can't enjoy reading and writing, but being the here/now/action type that they are, they'd probably rather do something else.

Besides, if we're typing on what 'typically' is known about types, one could point out that he liked politics WAY more than the typical SP. There have been polls and censuses taken that show that the SP temperament are the temperament least interested in politics. Heck, look through some of the more SP ish presidents. Many of them detested playing the political game because it got in the way of their immediate goals. If you read through a bio or two on TR, however, you'll see that he very much enjoyed it and saw (and treated) politics as a game of strategy. That's 'typically' a very NT way to look at something.

I'm not totally ruling out the notion that he's ESTP, i'm just saying that it's not as clear cut as many like to assume. Considering a lot of his image and life was influenced by his feeling that he must be the larger-than-life man his father was, saying he's ESTP because of his sense of adventure and masculinity could be likened to saying Michael Jackson was an ESFP because he was influenced to be the super performer that he was. We all know he was actually more of an INFP below the surface.

EDIT: Holy crap, i wrote a novel lol.

taylord

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
/TR went out of his way to become a active person because of how masculine his father was. He had to train himself to be fearless, little by little. On the flip side, he saw himself as very imaginative little boy and read an overwhelming amount of books. That habit stayed with him throughout his whole life. He went on to write over 35 books (43, i believe) on many subjects, like politics and the west. I'm not saying an ESTP can't enjoy reading and writing, but being the here/now/action type that they are, they'd probably rather do something else.

Your problem is that you speak in stereotypes. It is stereotypical to think sensing types never read (reading is an action you know) and that intuitive types are the readers of the personality tree. My INFJ sister doesn't even read books. Yet there's no denying that she is a classic INFJ in every other regard. People don't strictly have a behavior they follow just because they are a certain type. What is more realistic is to say that chances are they will adapt this way of doing things, or that way.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Your problem is that you speak in stereotypes. It is stereotypical to think sensing types never read (reading is an action you know) and that intuitive types are the readers of the personality tree. My INFJ sister doesn't even read books. Yet there's no denying that she is a classic INFJ in every other regard. People don't strictly have a behavior they follow just because they are a certain type. What is more realistic is to say that chances are they will adapt this way of doing things, or that way.

...how is what i said above any more stereotypical than you typing him ESTP with the reasoning that he 'engaged directly with nature'? My INTJ dad is huge on nature.

I'm not calling you out on being stereotypical and acting like i'm a saint. I'm just stating that typing someone is (by it's nature) going to be heavily based on stereotypes and typical occurrences. Telling me TR is an SP because he connected directly with nature is no better or worse than me saying he's NT because he was heavily into reading and writing from the age of 7 til the age he died. Your stereotype is no more true or false than mine. To brush off my main point based solely on an accusation of being 'too stereotypical in a stereotype-based conversation' sounds deflective. It's almost as if you didn't want to acknowledge what I pointed out.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
who said ESTP's can't get asthma?

I have asthma.

Andrew Jackson

ESTP

clinically insane.

:rock: