• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of all the U.S. Presidents

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Obama: ENTP
Bush II: ESxP
Clinton: ENFP
Bush I: ISFJ
Carter: IxFP
Kennedy: ESFP
Lincoln: INFP
Washington: ENTP

not a chance in hell. super routine oriented, super laws oriented, extremely strong Fi (everyone comments on his virtuousness and how he always stuck to his ideals)

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
lol. well I certainly hope someone did because that's pretty bad. lmao

Yeah that would be silly lol. Nah the overall point being made was that TR was naturally into more (stereotypical)NT oriented things such as reading and writing and creating. He considered himself an 'imaginative temperament'. He had asthma and didn't enjoy active sports. The proposed theory is that he went out of his way to become the fearless outdoorsman he became, not because it naturally interested him, but because he wanted to live up to his dad's reputation (he then grew into loving the action lifestyle). His dad was the stereotypical manly man. Many times in his bio, he says things like "I wish dad could have seen me do ____", but it's never about personal accomplishments, it's about masculine, courageous deeds. It appears he felt the need to overcompensate his masculinity because of his super inactive, book ish childhood.

Seems strange that someone have such NT interests and ways of thinking all the way up til the age of 17, and then just turn himself into an action star SP. His SP qualities scream stage persona. As president, he made many NT esque political choices.

But yeah, just theories being thrown around haha.

And yeah, i don't think Washington was an ENTP. I'd say ISTJ

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
not a chance in hell. super routine oriented, super laws oriented, extremely strong Fi (everyone comments on his virtuousness and how he always stuck to his ideals)

I have already corrected myself. I had Franklin in mind although he was not president.

B

brainheart

After reading the book Lincoln's Melancholy I think Lincoln was an INFP 1w9. So much Fi vs Te tension, probably exacerbated by being a Fi dom e1. Totally emo guy who felt the need to overcome it with reason. Constant internal self-critical battle.

CourtneyJD

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Obama has a INFJ or INTP quality. Definitely introverted, and seems to use Ti/Fe rather than Te/Fi.

Clinton-total ENFP. I have no reason other than the fact I want him to be.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Washington as an ISTJ, his loyalty and duty to his country took paramount over everything.

Teddy Roosevelt strikes me as an ESTP.

After reading a biography of Taft, I am convinced he was an introvert. The man really hated the spotlight and was characterized as quiet. Dispositionally, he was very different from his predecessor and close friend Roosevelt who was known for being loud, energetic, active, and boisterous. I'd go with ISFJ for Taft just based on feel. He also had a great sense of duty, which is why he ultimately decided he would run for President (that and Roosevelt hand picked him as his successor and Taft's wife loved the idea of being First Lady, I'm positive she was an extrover. She never really got to enjoy the role though since she had a stroke and was in bad health). Taft's. true ambition was to be a justice on the Supreme Court. He was always more drawn to law and being a judge than taking a more active role in politics. And this role also certainly suited more.

I think Carter is either an INFP or an ISFP. He just strikes me as someone with tons of Fi.

Clinton I see as an ESFP. I suppose ENFP could make sense. He just seems more Se to me. I think Hillary is likely an INTJ, and well, and ENFPs and INTJs have a reputation for being a good duo. (Though personally, the Clintons marriage just seems a bit odd to me, but regardless. Maybe that's because I grew up with a Mom who thought that Hillary should have divorced him and only stayed with him to further her political career). But I still see Bill as more of an ESFP.

The younger Bush also strikes me as an ESTP.

I've seen Obama typed as an ENFJ, and I think it works well. He strikes me as someone who is concerned with doing what is best for the majority (like his healthcare plan for example), which is a motivation that screams Fe to me.

As as far as Trump goes, I'd have to say an ESTP with extremely underdeveloped Ti. I'm also fairly certain he is 8w7, it just fits him very well in my mind.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This data comes from Presidential Temperament by David Keirsey and Ray Choiniere, 1992. professor Keirsey is an NT and has written extensively on the Myers Briggs Typology Index. His Please Understand Me book sold two million copies. It was also used by me at two different universities as part of required reading. It was based on 40 years of clinical research. I find the writing style of Professor Keirsey very much to my liking. Though he is an NT, his writing style is very metaphorical. I also enjoy his entire series on the subject of the Myers Briggs Typology Index. The books are well written and quite illuminating.

The SP Artisans
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
Zachary Tyler Franklin Pierce
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Theodore Roosevelt
Warren harding
Franklin Roosevelt
John Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
Donald Trunp

The SJ Guardians
George Washington
James Monroe
William harrison
John Tyler
James Polk
Millard Fillmore
James Buchanen
Andrew Johnson
Rutherford hayes
Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
William McKinley
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Calvin Coolidge
Harry Truman
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
George Bush

I am very impressed with the NT rational minded US presidents. There appear to be no NF Presidents. President Obama comes closest for he displays many attributes of an NF. He is however an NT.
The NT Rationals
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson Author of the Declaration of Independence
James Madison
John Quincy Adams
Abraham Lincoln The Emancipation Proclamation
Ulysses Grant
Herbert Hoover
Dwight Eisenhower Five Star General and leader of all Allied Forces on D-Day as well two term president.
Barack Obama (Now Barack is a complex man. He could readily fall between an ENTP and as well a ENFJ. The evidence points more toward ENTP.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
jefferson was an ENTP :rolli:

i don't know many of the others (i'm not american), but after reading the descriptions about jefferson, he couldn't be anything else. an inventor through and through.

I am very impressed with the NT rational minded US presidents. There appear to be no NF Presidents. President Obama comes closest for he displays many attributes of an NF. He is however an NT.
The NT Rationals
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson Author of the Declaration of Independence
James Madison
John Quincy Adams
Abraham Lincoln The Emancipation Proclamation
Ulysses Grant
Herbert Hoover
Dwight Eisenhower Five Star General and leader of all Allied Forces on D-Day as well two term president.
Barack Obama (Now Barack is a complex man. He could readily fall between an ENTP and as well a ENFJ. The evidence points more toward ENTP.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not feeling Obama as ENTJ. He has this diffidence about him in some ways that doesn't jive with ENTJ. I associate ENTJs with a lot of centralized, intense energy, and I don't get that from him.

I mean, it's hard to argue with a "he appears something else but he's ENTJ underneath it all" argument, and I'm admittedly relying on a lot of pure intuition, but I think that if he's an ENTJ, he's a very atypical one.

Barack Obama (Now Barack is a complex man. He could readily fall between an ENTP and as well a ENFJ. The evidence points more toward ENTP. There appear to be no NF Presidents. President Obama comes closest for he displays many attributes of an NF.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always thought of Obama as ExFJ. He seems too personable to be an NT I think. Probably learning towards ENFJ.

Hello Eugene Watson VIII I looked this up. Barack Obama (Now Barack is a complex man. He could readily fall between an ENTP and as well a ENFJ. The evidence points more toward ENTP. There appear to be no NF Presidents. President Obama comes closest for he does displays and commands many of attributes of an NF.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
David Keirsey/ Ray Chenoire

I have the book Presidential Temperaments by Keirsey and Choiniere. I find the writing style of Professor Keirsey very much to my liking. Though he is an NT, his writing style is very metaphorical. I also enjoy his entire series on the subject of the Myers Briggs Typology Index. it is well written and quite illuminating.

Tomb1

I'm sure on these:

Andrew Jackson: SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
James K. Polk: SLE-Se 1w2 sp/sx
Abraham Lincoln: EII-Fi 9w1 sp/sx
Teddy Roosevelt: SLE-Ti 7w6 so/sp
Franklin Roosevelt: ILE-Ti 3w2 sp/so
Harry Truman: LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/so
Dwight Eisenhower: LIE-Ni 9w8 sp/so
George Washington: ILI-Te 9w8 sp/so
Gerald Ford: LSE-Si 9w8 sp/so
Ronald Reagan: IEE-Fi 9w8 sp/so
John F. Kennedy: ILE-Ti 7w8 sp/so
Lyndon Johnson: LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/so
Richard Nixon: LIE-Ni 1w9 sp/so
George H.W. Bush: LII-Ti 1w9 sp/so
Bill Clinton: IEE-Fi 3w2 sx/so
George W Bush: LSE-Si 6w7 so/sp
Barack Obama: ESE-Si 9w1 sp/so
Donald Trump: SLE-Ti 3w2 so/sp

Afkan

Impressed

Wowee I really am quite impressed Thank you for sharing!

I'm sure on these:

Andrew Jackson: SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
James K. Polk: SLE-Se 1w2 sp/sx
Abraham Lincoln: EII-Fi 9w1 sp/sx
Teddy Roosevelt: SLE-Ti 7w6 so/sp
Franklin Roosevelt: ILE-Ti 3w2 sp/so
Harry Truman: LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/so
Dwight Eisenhower: LIE-Ni 9w8 sp/so
George Washington: ILI-Te 9w8 sp/so
Gerald Ford: LSE-Si 9w8 sp/so
Ronald Reagan: IEE-Fi 9w8 sp/so
John F. Kennedy: ILE-Ti 7w8 sp/so