User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infj

Default How can Jimmy Carter "Mr Detail" be INFJ?

According to the famous "Famous People by Myers-Briggs Type" Jimmy Carter is INFJ. But he seems to have such a bizarre memory for mountains of detail, I though that was more an S rather than N quality.
    (I'm not really interested in Jimmy Cater, just MB (about time I took a course actually)) .

Perhaps my memory of his performances are faulty.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

There are many who consider him an ISFJ.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Why should INFJs be unable to remember details ? This would be the same simplification as saying that sensors cannot be creative.

From the interviews I have seen and read with him, I would type Jimmy Carter as an NF: The interest in spirituality, the diplomatic abilities, the idealism, plus the whole personal attidude. I am not sure about I and J, but probably it is also correct.

Quote Originally Posted by developer View Post
    Why should INFJs be unable to remember details ? This would be the same simplification as saying that sensors cannot be creative.

From the interviews I have seen and read with him, I would type Jimmy Carter as an NF: The interest in spirituality, the diplomatic abilities, the idealism, plus the whole personal attitude. I am not sure about I and J, but probably it is also correct.
    Carter does seem like a stereo typical Idealist in temperament.

I think people with hight intelligence may be harder to type in pure S vs. N manner, since they are likely to have both well developed. But temperament can do the selection much more easily, I think.

Again, I am just basing this off my limited experience. I have to say that the Understanding Yourself and Others series was a big help for me to understand personality typing (though I am still rather skeptical).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sigh.

Any type can "remember details."
    Any type can "be creative."

Where the difference lies in how the details are used or in how the creativity is evoked. And different types will have different priorities. Look at their priorities, what sort of information they focus on, and how they use that information to make decisions all helps pinpoint type.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Why should INFJs be unable to remember details ?
    If someone could answer this question, they would likely save my life right now.

Externally i can look detail oriented because i write a lot down and organize things. This is because my brain will not do this independently. There are certain types of details, especially those that do not fit a coherent pattern, that drive me nearly to tears.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    If someone could answer this question, they would likely save my life right now.
    Toonia, I can tell you this: a family member of mine is an INFJ and she also always complains about not remembering details. But the truth is, that she remembers everything that is important to her in extreme detail - she just does not care so much about administrative stuff etc.

So, I am sure you are super at everything that matters to you!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm probably an INFJ, and I tend to remember and focus on a lot of details. But those details mostly regard abstract ideas, and I'm not as good at remembering sensory details, unless they stand out significantly or are emotionally charged.

MBTI
    infj

Thanks for those useful comments.
    I probably should have said "remembers details of facts " , that may have confused the discussion a little.

I do understand all types can be creative or remember facts. (or be rude).

One thing I've noticed when I replay videos of interviews is that my memories of the interviews have been subtly warped by my understanding of what happened. Facial expressions a little different, tone of voice a little different. In human interaction such tiny differences can indicate profound differences in meaning, sometimes the opposite meaning if tone is ironic.

I've always assumed it was the same for everyone, all perception is creative, but maybe there are types that recall stuff more photographically.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

he seems textbook isfj to me