123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1bw
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Types of Quintessential Ethnicities

Hey, everyone. I haven't posted here in a while. I've been playing around with this topic in my mind lately and I thought this would be a good place to post it.

I'm Filipino and, like many other Filipinos, I'm very proud of that fact. Add being an INTJ into the mix and the result is that I think about my Filipino-ness a lot, especially about what a Filipino is and what a Filipino can be. It's been at a point where it's very easy to envision a "quintessential Filipino," a character that embodies all of the culturally-influenced behaviors and even some of the admittedly more justifiable stereotypes associated with the Filipino ethnicity.

I've tried to assign a type to this character; I think ENFJ captures it best. I'm sold on it being at least an EF. Filipinos in and out of their own ethnic communities are known for being warm, personable people. I'd bet N because the quintessential Filipino tends to be dreamy, definitely in the vein of an NF idealist. The quintessential Filipino also tends to be motivated to act on behalf of or for the benefit of others. They will often take the cause of another to heart, even if they do not directly benefit from the success of that cause. From what I gather, this is a very ENFJ thing to do.

Of course, reality isn't so simple. People will be who they are, giving into and regardless of cultural influence. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see if any of you out there have had similar musings about your own ethnicities. If you had to describe your ethnicity as a certain type, which one would it be and why? And for all my fellow Filipinos and Filipinas on this forum, what do you think about a quintessential Filipino character being described as an ENFJ? Would you classify your vision of this character differently?

MBTI
    ENFP

White. ENTJ. We like to hold the reigns.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    NICE

OP.

Sir, are srsly suggesting that stereotype reinforcement has any validity?

The very idea of a "quintessential Filipino" is a thoroughly limiting concept.

You should remember that everything has a flip side. Do you consider it more likely that positive stereotypes (which I assume you would embrace) or negative ones (which you are likely to reject) would emerge from the MBTI soup?

If you feel that "more justifiable stereotypes" is an acceptable turn of phrase, may I recommend you avoid parts of the US & Europe where the locals wholeheartily agree with you and keep several Filipino maids as evidence of their approval.

All the best.

MBTI
    intp

wut in tarnation is a quintessential ethnicity?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    All the best.
    man, you're such a hypocrite. bashing my thread then being benign to a thread with a similar semantic.

for shame. :rolli:
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    man, you're such a hypocrite. bashing my thread then being benign to a thread with a similar semantic.

for shame. :rolli:
    Aw, okay.

All the best to you too.

Actually, the "similar semantic" is not similar enough to draw a conclusion as to the reasons for the methodology of the critique; moreover you were not party to any extra communication that may (or may not) counter your assertion of hypocricy.

But you're right. I am a complete hypocrite. But that's incidental

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

I'm really not sure what this thread is trying to measure, either. If we're trying to say that a particular ethnic group is culturally similar to an MBTI type then you'll be hard pressed to find one that's Intuitive since the vast majority of people worldwide are Sensors. A genuinely INFJ culture, for instance, would be non-existent. If you're trying to say that certain ethnic bloodlines predispose to certain personality types, the purest of sort being the "quintessential",then I think we need to back peddle to basic genetics and bring up how low human genetic variability is. We've barely existed for six million years; there's hardly enough difference between different races to predispose one to be INFP while the other is ESTJ.
    White. ENTJ. We like to hold the reigns
    Really now.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    NICE

I give up.

MBTI
    INFP

I think what the original poster is trying to accomplish is the following:

Nations can have identities and prized characteristics without that nation or any of its inhabitants requiring every individual in that state to subscribe to that identity. Every country, every religion, every "club" in the world is subject to questioning what forms its identity. It's not about creating or exploding stereotypes at this level, it's merely about identifying them.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by edward the confessor View Post
    I think what the original poster is trying to accomplish is the following:

Nations can have identities and prized characteristics without that nation or any of its inhabitants requiring every individual in that state to subscribe to that identity. Every country, every religion, every "club" in the world is subject to questioning what forms its identity. It's not about creating or exploding stereotypes at this level, it's merely about identifying them.
    That makes sense. So German society which values punctuality, stringent regulations, direct communication, and overbearing logical thought would be very xSTJ in its culture. It's a lot harder to type sub-cultures such as that of the Italian Americans, however....I still argue that overwhelmingly Intuitive cultures would be rare.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox