• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John and Kate

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Some quotes and stuff from a magazine article:

…nurse Angela Krall, who watched the sextuplets as infants for more than a year, tells Us that the short-fused Kate fired 40 nurses and nurse’s aides in the three months before she was hired.
A 2005 AP story reported that a pre-TV Gosselin had petitioned the state to extend payments for Krall, whose fees were first paid by Medicaid.
“Kate Gosselin said she feels society has a responsibility to help with the children, since modern medicine promotes the use of fertility drugs, which can lead to multiple births,” the AP reported.
Krall reveals that Kate posted “demeaning” signs in every room detailing rules, and fired one woman on the spot for washing her hands in the kitchen instead of the bathroom. “Kate flipped,” says Krall. “She thought it was cross-contamination.”
That level of perfectionism also tore her apart from her father, Kenton Kreider, a pastor, after he gave her cribs donated by his parishioners. “They didn’t match and Kate rejected them,” says a family source. “Things like that caused a rift.” Krall, who says all six babies ended up with matching cribs, tells Us Kate “thought they were owed stuff. The money factor was huge.”

The bolded are some of the things that make me think ExFJ.

Also, she may be the devil.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjohryb6xAU&feature=player_embedded"]Kate denies child water while she drinks in front of her[/YOUTUBE]

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of this definitely sounds like anything but Fe! "Does she really consider the kids, or is it about what Kate wants? [Status, the finer things, etc]".
Even this bolded stuff sounds more like immature Fi. (Appealing to a universalized value of society's responsibility).
Any Fe she might be using most likely fits the "destructive" role, or perhaps just a left-brain alternative. (Like the need to teach children politeness. Probably no other way to maintain order with all those kids).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some quotes and stuff from a magazine article:

The bolded are some of the things that make me think ExFJ.

Also, she may be the devil.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjohryb6xAU&feature=player_embedded"]Kate denies child water while she drinks in front of her[/YOUTUBE]

She's a narcissist as well as being a control freak. Society has an obligation to help people who CHOOSE to have fertility treatments then CHOOSE to keep all 8 fetuses? Ah...no.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would like to elaborate on what I just said above: Kate is a reasonably educated woman from a middle-class background. Fertility treatments are expensive to begin with (where'd she come up with the money for that?) and she rejected cribs donated from a church because they didn't match. This is not the same thing at all as helping an impoverished single mother on welfare. This woman is a monster. She wants other people to finance her plastic surgery, her matching baby furniture, and her fucking vacation.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Remembering some of the earlier episodes, Kate seemed rather philosophical/pondering in an N, and specifically NF, kinda way. I think years with lots of kids would grind N behavior into S behavior, and force the development and usage of Te.

In the earlier seasons Kate never seemed like a monster to me, but instead very personable and interested in each of her children. I've not seen any recent episodes, but if her behavior has changed, well time lays waste to all things guess...

am_i_evil666

This lady is a bitch.
I wonder, exactly how much money does she make with his show?
She s really compromising her children for the sake of audience.
I understand that they need the money, but then I could make 8 children and make loads of money on tv.

And Jon is completely emasculated. I wonder how he could conceive those kids, since he seems to be more of an eunuch for Kate.

mrgorbachev

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Jon is almost definitely an ISFP-- he seems to show his affection for his children by fixing and doing things for them, which is something that seems very ISFP to me. Plus he is so reserved and quiet, but not in the... overly reflective INFP way, just like he doesn't really want to talk.

Kate is just a monster. Someone that unhealthy just seems hard to type.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now they've just anounced that they'e splitting, and just filed the legal documents.
Among other things, he mentioned being too passive, letting her rule the roost, and now he's finally standing up on his own two feet and is proud of himself. (Sounds a bit FP'ish, though I'm not sure how a TP would differ).
She says the show shall go on, and she seems to be just looking forward, talking about how she'll survive on her own with the kids.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
It's an unfortunate situation. I guess the moral of their story is make sure you plan on sticking around if you're gonna mess with in vitro.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like the backlash against the show's popularity is only continuing to increase. But I suppose it is what it deserved, considering it was overhyped to begin with.

I would like to elaborate on what I just said above: Kate is a reasonably educated woman from a middle-class background. Fertility treatments are expensive to begin with (where'd she come up with the money for that?) and she rejected cribs donated from a church because they didn't match. This is not the same thing at all as helping an impoverished single mother on welfare. This woman is a monster. She wants other people to finance her plastic surgery, her matching baby furniture, and her fucking vacation.

I'll have to ask one of my friends about her. They graduated from high school together. (I live only about 45 minutes from Lancaster.)

I wish I'd watched the show more than once or twice, to get a feel for her, to make sure a lot of rants here aren't just from type mismatch. But just from what I've garnered in the press, she's domineering and took control of everything... and Jon's screwed up in his own ways, by letting her emasculate him, he's passive, dumped everything on her via passivity, and was in essence just one more kid for her to care for... although she liked it. They're quite the symbiotic couple.

So what do we expect, if Jon tries to shift the power balance at this stage of the marriage and in the public limelight to boot? He's never done that before, so he's not handling things well... and since she's feeling protective of the kids and her way of life, she's digging in. It's like watching the inevitable train wreck, and you can see exactly where it's going to do end up... because they're human and ruled by both good and bad impulses.

It's an unfortunate situation. I guess the moral of their story is make sure you plan on sticking around if you're gonna mess with in vitro.

I doubt Jon figured things would go this way when they had babies. If he's an IFP, he was probably flexing just fine at the beginning but because he's so passive, he let things go to a point where they became untenable and he realized he wanted out. I doubt any parents wastes all that money on in vitro if they haven't been planning to stick it out.
Just got through watching the one that aired tonight, where they went to Toys R Us.
She really does not seem to be an extraverted Feeler. Not only how she is so ordered in making decisions based on logical efficiency (money, etc), but when John criticizes her for yelling at him in front of the whole store, she says something about not noticing people. Fe might seek attention, but I think it would be more mindful of both the husband and others. It would certainly not have a problem of not noticing people. It's whole MO is other people.
Plus, my wife says that in other episodes, she's always telling the camera people and sometimes even the children to get away from being too close to her. Like she is very protective of her personal space. Everybody may want/need some space, but I don't think Dom. Fe would demand it like that. They are usually the ones who are smothering.
They are described as being good hosts/esses, but she does not seem like that at all. Totally task-focused, about as much as one can get. T, J tend to task, F, P tend to people or are at least more responsive or agreeable (as in FFM), so TJ is least so, FP most so, and FJ/TP in between. And she is not agreeable at all.

So that looks like classic dom. Te. Definitely In Charge (directive), not simply Get Things Going. I would think an ESFJ's "control issues" would be different from this. My wife I think would admit to having control issues, and even a few of the behaviors, but overall, she is nowhere near Kate. So if you look at these ESFJ's that are being mentioned, are they still like her when it is looked at in that light?
And almost all parents will teach their children politeness. Especially is she happens to be SJ. (upholding of learned traditions).

Now seeing John speak more (and that he was an analyst on his job), he could be T, but again, it is really hard to tell from under her shadow.

I'll have to watch some video.

Barring the bias PM is trying to claim in this thread, I've dealt with ESFJ people (and I considered them friends) who were really screwed up to the point where they behaved this way, and even one of my good ESFJ friends now here might love kids and work to help people... but at the same time it doesn't mean she wants people in her space and would not be adverse at all to saying stuff like this, nor does she want to be a hostess... she can do it, but it annoys her. And she sure as heck is NOT estj... not in the least.

There's a lot of variety out there, some of it natural/benign and some of it due to various dysfunctions/environmental factors people grew up with, and when you get into closed/cloistured religious community, the pressure for one's own personality to change in some way is immense... but this causes distortion. Typing people is tricky. It's about overall pattern matching, not symptom matching.

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Kate is DEFINITELY ESFJ. I had an ESFJ stepmom and ESTJ dad. The ESFJ stepmom could rival my dad as far as control issues and OCD. It only looks like she's T but then you see old videos of them from when they were happy: YouTube - Jon and Kate Plus 8 - How They Met

And I recognize that ESF anywhere! Look at all of the emotional bids she makes and all of the affection she gives and craves. ESF for sure. For sure.

John back then talks about how he traveled through europe and got back and didn't care about a career and didn't want to get married and have kids. He sounds like an unhealthy person back then. He sounds depressed so that makes him harder to type. I don't think he's a feeler because he doesn't seem to have an emotional connection with Kate. Even back then when they were happy. Based on his statements about backpacking and everything he sounds super independent. So that leads me to believe he's either INTP or ISTP. He doesn't seem to have that otherworldly knowledge thing INTPs have so I'm going to go with ISTP.

Here's the weird part though. ESFJ/ISTP are supposed to be a good match. Not an ideal one, but a good match. So INTP/ESFJ (exact opposites) would make sense as to why they are not doing so well right now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jon is not INTP.

Put simply, he'd rather "do" something than theorize on it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Poor Kate. :(

And John...How dare you! 8 kids involved? Seriously, man. Nice job.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i still feel most sorry for the kids but now also for kate. john is such a fucker and what a skank ho g/f. real classy. those poor kids.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Kate is an unhealthy, neurotic ESTJ to a T.

My guess on Jon is ISFP.

Even though Kate seems like a pain in the ass I still side with her because Jon has been acting like a fool chasing after so many girls despite the media spotlight, and he moved into a two-bedroom bachelor pad that obviously will not accommodate 8 kids. He's a selfish skeezeball, in my humble opinion.

Bunco

MBTI Type
ISTj
i still feel most sorry for the kids but now also for kate. john is such a fucker and what a skank ho g/f. real classy. those poor kids.

I think it's hilarious how he had the sympathy of the entire nation for having a crazy neurotic wife in a house with 8 kids and managed to blow it all as quickly as he did. Moron.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So then ISTP? You would agree?

I read him as ISFP. He's not "hard" enough to be T, he seems to flex and float and react far too much; he seems to like how things "feel" and goes from there in terms of making choices; T's usually have more focus and are driven by the analytical assessment and what goal they're aiming for.

I think it's hilarious how he had the sympathy of the entire nation for having a crazy neurotic wife in a house with 8 kids and managed to blow it all as quickly as he did. Moron.

Yeah. This. Again, poor intellectual assessment, he's just doing whatever he feels like doing without even being aware of the impact on his image and long-term goals, it seems. (Well, aside from ditching the marriage, maybe there probably were no long-term goals.)