First 45678 Last

Thread: John and Kate

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sounds like the backlash against the show's popularity is only continuing to increase. But I suppose it is what it deserved, considering it was overhyped to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I would like to elaborate on what I just said above: Kate is a reasonably educated woman from a middle-class background. Fertility treatments are expensive to begin with (where'd she come up with the money for that?) and she rejected cribs donated from a church because they didn't match. This is not the same thing at all as helping an impoverished single mother on welfare. This woman is a monster. She wants other people to finance her plastic surgery, her matching baby furniture, and her fucking vacation.
    I'll have to ask one of my friends about her. They graduated from high school together. (I live only about 45 minutes from Lancaster.)

I wish I'd watched the show more than once or twice, to get a feel for her, to make sure a lot of rants here aren't just from type mismatch. But just from what I've garnered in the press, she's domineering and took control of everything... and Jon's screwed up in his own ways, by letting her emasculate him, he's passive, dumped everything on her via passivity, and was in essence just one more kid for her to care for... although she liked it. They're quite the symbiotic couple.

So what do we expect, if Jon tries to shift the power balance at this stage of the marriage and in the public limelight to boot? He's never done that before, so he's not handling things well... and since she's feeling protective of the kids and her way of life, she's digging in. It's like watching the inevitable train wreck, and you can see exactly where it's going to do end up... because they're human and ruled by both good and bad impulses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    It's an unfortunate situation. I guess the moral of their story is make sure you plan on sticking around if you're gonna mess with in vitro.
    I doubt Jon figured things would go this way when they had babies. If he's an IFP, he was probably flexing just fine at the beginning but because he's so passive, he let things go to a point where they became untenable and he realized he wanted out. I doubt any parents wastes all that money on in vitro if they haven't been planning to stick it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Just got through watching the one that aired tonight, where they went to Toys R Us.
    She really does not seem to be an extraverted Feeler. Not only how she is so ordered in making decisions based on logical efficiency (money, etc), but when John criticizes her for yelling at him in front of the whole store, she says something about not noticing people. Fe might seek attention, but I think it would be more mindful of both the husband and others. It would certainly not have a problem of not noticing people. It's whole MO is other people.
    Plus, my wife says that in other episodes, she's always telling the camera people and sometimes even the children to get away from being too close to her. Like she is very protective of her personal space. Everybody may want/need some space, but I don't think Dom. Fe would demand it like that. They are usually the ones who are smothering.
    They are described as being good hosts/esses, but she does not seem like that at all. Totally task-focused, about as much as one can get. T, J tend to task, F, P tend to people or are at least more responsive or agreeable (as in FFM), so TJ is least so, FP most so, and FJ/TP in between. And she is not agreeable at all.

So that looks like classic dom. Te. Definitely In Charge (directive), not simply Get Things Going. I would think an ESFJ's "control issues" would be different from this. My wife I think would admit to having control issues, and even a few of the behaviors, but overall, she is nowhere near Kate. So if you look at these ESFJ's that are being mentioned, are they still like her when it is looked at in that light?
    And almost all parents will teach their children politeness. Especially is she happens to be SJ. (upholding of learned traditions).

Now seeing John speak more (and that he was an analyst on his job), he could be T, but again, it is really hard to tell from under her shadow.
    I'll have to watch some video.

Barring the bias PM is trying to claim in this thread, I've dealt with ESFJ people (and I considered them friends) who were really screwed up to the point where they behaved this way, and even one of my good ESFJ friends now here might love kids and work to help people... but at the same time it doesn't mean she wants people in her space and would not be adverse at all to saying stuff like this, nor does she want to be a hostess... she can do it, but it annoys her. And she sure as heck is NOT estj... not in the least.

There's a lot of variety out there, some of it natural/benign and some of it due to various dysfunctions/environmental factors people grew up with, and when you get into closed/cloistured religious community, the pressure for one's own personality to change in some way is immense... but this causes distortion. Typing people is tricky. It's about overall pattern matching, not symptom matching.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Or make sure you're wife isn't a psycho before in vitro.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Kate is DEFINITELY ESFJ. I had an ESFJ stepmom and ESTJ dad. The ESFJ stepmom could rival my dad as far as control issues and OCD. It only looks like she's T but then you see old videos of them from when they were happy: YouTube - Jon and Kate Plus 8 - How They Met

And I recognize that ESF anywhere! Look at all of the emotional bids she makes and all of the affection she gives and craves. ESF for sure. For sure.

John back then talks about how he traveled through europe and got back and didn't care about a career and didn't want to get married and have kids. He sounds like an unhealthy person back then. He sounds depressed so that makes him harder to type. I don't think he's a feeler because he doesn't seem to have an emotional connection with Kate. Even back then when they were happy. Based on his statements about backpacking and everything he sounds super independent. So that leads me to believe he's either INTP or ISTP. He doesn't seem to have that otherworldly knowledge thing INTPs have so I'm going to go with ISTP.

Here's the weird part though. ESFJ/ISTP are supposed to be a good match. Not an ideal one, but a good match. So INTP/ESFJ (exact opposites) would make sense as to why they are not doing so well right now.
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Jon is not INTP.

Put simply, he'd rather "do" something than theorize on it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Jon is not INTP.

Put simply, he'd rather "do" something than theorize on it.
    So then ISTP? You would agree?
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Poor Kate.

And John...How dare you! 8 kids involved? Seriously, man. Nice job.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

i still feel most sorry for the kids but now also for kate. john is such a fucker and what a skank ho g/f. real classy. those poor kids.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Kate is an unhealthy, neurotic ESTJ to a T.

My guess on Jon is ISFP.

Even though Kate seems like a pain in the ass I still side with her because Jon has been acting like a fool chasing after so many girls despite the media spotlight, and he moved into a two-bedroom bachelor pad that obviously will not accommodate 8 kids. He's a selfish skeezeball, in my humble opinion.

MBTI
    ISTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    i still feel most sorry for the kids but now also for kate. john is such a fucker and what a skank ho g/f. real classy. those poor kids.
    I think it's hilarious how he had the sympathy of the entire nation for having a crazy neurotic wife in a house with 8 kids and managed to blow it all as quickly as he did. Moron.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    So then ISTP? You would agree?
    I read him as ISFP. He's not "hard" enough to be T, he seems to flex and float and react far too much; he seems to like how things "feel" and goes from there in terms of making choices; T's usually have more focus and are driven by the analytical assessment and what goal they're aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunco View Post
    I think it's hilarious how he had the sympathy of the entire nation for having a crazy neurotic wife in a house with 8 kids and managed to blow it all as quickly as he did. Moron.
    Yeah. This. Again, poor intellectual assessment, he's just doing whatever he feels like doing without even being aware of the impact on his image and long-term goals, it seems. (Well, aside from ditching the marriage, maybe there probably were no long-term goals.)