User Tag List

12 Last

Default Isaac Newton's Type

There seems to be some disagreement on Isaac Newton's type.

Was he INTP or INTJ? I think INT is fairly clear.

I did a web search.

And looked at the first page of results.

Pages typing him as INTP:
    MBTI
    Parableman: MBTI and Philosophers
    Personality-tests Myers Briggs MBTI Famous personalities for famous INTP
    INTP@Everything2.com

Pages Typing him as INTJ:
    INTJ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Beyond The Rim
    Last edited by ygolo; 09-10-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Question Is this thing on?

I thought a whole bunch of INTPs or INTJs would be aiming to claim him or disown him. Is this posted in the wrong section?
    Last edited by ygolo; 09-10-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I think you have a better chance of some replies in the NT Rationale sub-forum, if you ask for my opinion.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

We kind of already had a discussion about this in this thread.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...0-years-4.html

Short version: I think he's an INTJ.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Oh. That explains the crickets. When I did a seach for Isaac Newton, that thread did come up, but under Politics, History, Current Events, so I didn't know it was discussed already.

I like your explanation for INTJ. But doesn't what problems you focus on (what your job is) color your "experiential understanding" as an INTP.

I wonder if I would be an INTJ if I were a pure Electrical Engineer instead of a Computer Engineer. My experitial understanding comes from what I work on -- Computer Engineering is part Electircal Engineering, which is mainly Applied Physics with trade skills, (quick circuit manimulation, handbook rules on electrical characteristics, use of lab equipment, etc.), and Computer Science, which is mainly Discrete Math with trade skills (programming in various languages, understanding particular computer architectures, etc.).

Did anyone have a strong argument for INTP, or was yours the final word?

BlueWing seemed unconvinced. Though absent-mindedness doesn't seem nearly enough to warrant an INTP typing.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ERTP

really, i think, like plato's third letter, newton's fourth letter is lost to history
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INTP

From what I learned in elementary school, as soon as the apple fell from the tree and hit him on the head he realized that gravity existed! with a giant exclamation point!

I'm going to have to go with INTJ due to the Ni function. I think if he was an INTP with a functioning Ne function he wouldn't have automatically accepted the truth of gravity almost immediately and would have rather thrown it around his mind as one of many possibilities of why the apple fell.

Of course my analysis is contingent of my ability to bullshit my way in and out of problems, so it is very well possible that I'm wrong. But I'm going to let the INTJ claim him anyway.

Ni
    Introverted iNtuiting
    "The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future."

Ne
    Extraverted iNtuiting
    "Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I personally think he's an INTJ, but an INTP friend of mine swears up and down that Issac's an INTP. (gee, I wonder why?)

My reason is that he used Latin to publish his works, and that sounds like an Ni-ish thing to do for some reason. Don't know why. Also, he often argued heatedly with colleagues in a way that sounded more INTJ than INTP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

As he was a man of science, I think he was Ti, so I say he's INTP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    My reason is that he used Latin to publish his works, and that sounds like an Ni-ish thing to do for some reason.
    I'm pretty sure a lot of science was published in Latin at that time, or at least used Latin quite heavily. (It was in general an "educated person" language.), so it doesn't say anything either way about type.