User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: George Carlin

Never have I met an ESFP who have been so fascinated with language as Carlin was.. I think he was an ENTP. Not just because of the interest in language but for many other reasons as well.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    Never have I met an ESFP who have been so fascinated with language as Carlin was.. I think he was an ENTP. Not just because of the interest in language but for many other reasons as well.
    That's all well and good, because I changed my mind. I was right in the first place: He's ENTJ as all hell.

On his love of language: His focus on language, in his act, is never to analyze language. He doesn't pick it apart. Rathher, he criticizes overuse, or misuse, of it. The language portions of his act, like everything else about it, are snarky Te + Se rants. Like this (one of his best acts ever, in my opinion) for example:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ"]Air Marshal Carlin tells you to go fuck yourself - Part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ"]Air Marshal Carlin tells you to go fuck yourself - Part 2[/YOUTUBE]

That's another complaint of mine - too much use of this prefix "pre". It's all over the language now — "pre"-this, "pre"-that, place the turkey in a "pre-heated" oven. It's ridiculous! There are only two states an oven can possibly exist in: Heated or unheated! "Pre-heated" is a meaningless fucking term! It's like "pre-recorded" — "This program was pre-recorded." Well, of course it was pre-recorded! When else are you gonna record it, afterwards? That's the whole purpose of recording; to do it beforehand! Otherwise it doesn't really work, does it? "Pre-existing", "pre-planning", "pre-screening" — you know what I tell these people? Pre-suck my genital situation! And they seem to understand what I'm talking about.
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is what Te humor looks like (with a bit of Se at the end there -- the whole "suck my genitals" bit).

And then of course there's the fact he uses, quite deliberately it seems, body language, voice tone, etc. to enhance his act. Reading his book it's just not anywhere near as funny to read his stand-up act as it is to see it. This is Se.

And then there's the fact his Ni is, in fact, one of his top two functions. Reading his autobiography, he has actually always been a very long-term planner. When he was eleven he was already trying to figure out what he wanted to do in life, and by the time he got out of the air force he already had a plan completely ironed out. A plan that he faithfully stuck to until moving from stage two (becoming famous as a stand-up comic) to stage three (making it as a comic actor) failed because he discovered that he sucked at acting. Then it took him ages to pick a new path (something common among Ni users -- they have to kind of "reboot" when their schemes don't pan out), but when he finally had it ironed out his confidence was fully restored.

That, and the whole story is peppered with moments of strange, inexplicable "knowing" very consonant with Ni -- such as when he just knew him and Jack Burns were gonna be separated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Seems ESTP to me. Your basis for Te is entirely that he can notice inefficiency. Ti notices inconsistencies. He's focused more on the illogicalness of the inefficiencies. He views them as illogical statements. He's not really worried about the effect that the inefficiencies have. Simply using them and the fact that they could be done without as a source of humor. Which seems very much like Ti to me.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

my intuition says entj but it has no idea why.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

deleted

Doesn't your kind of intuition also say 10 other things? :o

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Doesn't your kind of intuition also say 10 other things? :o
    Haha well it said entp!! And then estp!! And then no defintely entj...but I use the other kind too don't be fooled by my supposed funtion order...I know stuff..haha

Not really..because I can't really decide between those 3 haha I just wanted to join the convo aren't ya glad I did? :}
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    Seems ESTP to me. Your basis for Te is entirely that he can notice inefficiency. Ti notices inconsistencies. He's focused more on the illogicalness of the inefficiencies. He views them as illogical statements. He's not really worried about the effect that the inefficiencies have. Simply using them and the fact that they could be done without as a source of humor. Which seems very much like Ti to me.
    He's also mega-anal about his daily affairs (has meticulously kept records of all his shows sans 1972-1975, when he was in his drugged-out phase), and he plans his life years ahead -- which fits ESTJ of course, but the clear Se he shows on stage, and his narrated moments of mysterious "knowing," don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Totally an INFP.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Totally an INFP.

Wait, seriously?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post

Wait, seriously?
    This is how I feel about most of your typings.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii