User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: George Carlin

MBTI
    INTp

His stage persona is different from his actual personality, although they are obviously related.

YouTube - George Carlin - Archive Interview Part 1 of 7

That interview is very revealing, although I last watched the whole thing a while ago.

I would say INTJ or INTP. (I was thinking INTJ when I opened this thread).
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

Enneagram: 5

He's ENTP. He only seems like an INTP in these recent interviews because he's older and thus his Ti/Si is more developed.

MBTI
    INTp

Although, if I recall correctly, he talked about being very introverted/introspective as a child and was alone a lot of the time.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

ENTP. It's made particularly clear with how bitter he became as he got older - classic middle age development of Si. The world isn't how it's supposed to be, and he's going to tell you about it.

No, there's not that much difference between the offstage stuff and the onstage stuff. His comedy is way too cerebral and way too connection-based (Ne-Ti combo) to not be indicative of the offstage persona. While he certainly is not the most gregarious in interviews - couldn't it be that he was just bored as hell with doing interviews after having constantly done them for 40 years?

Finally, the most telling sign for me - Shining Time Station. How else do you explain someone as cynical as Carlin jumping on board to do an educational show with high levels of interaction with children? An introvert wouldn't have been as enthusiastic about it, and it's a common trait of ENTPs that as much as we take joy in the connections in our heads, it's even more amazing when you see someone else make the connection, particularly a kid.

MBTI
    INTp

Those really are good points, but one thing Carlin mentions is having the basic idea of his whole career planned out by about age 11. That sounds very Ni / J to me, and I guess I wouldn't really see him as an INTP after all, or any P type. His connection based humor could be Ni/Te or a combination of both N and T functions as a xNTJ.

I admit that his bitterness and constant contrasting to his youth sounds a lot like Si. I'm aware that people begin rounding out at around middle age. Do people fall on their fourth function in particular in middle age or do they just develop a range of functions and as a part of that their fourth function is being used?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Of course, the whole career planned out thing could be a big joke - we are wont to exaggerate in such a manner. The humor being, of course, who the hell has their career planned out when they're eleven? You're a child, and still enjoying childish things!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

I saw the HBO special yesterday as well. Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin.

I don't see INTP in him at all. I though perhaps ISTJ/ISTP, but I'm probably far off. Comedians are hard to type because of the differences between their stage personas vs. their actuall personality. With that said though, the misanthropy could, just as easily as his perceived extroversion, be an act, couldn't it?
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    IsTP

Always trying to claim one of ours...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

INTP and an obvious introvert.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Carlin was a very fucking obvious ENTJ. His routine essentially consists of tossing Te all over the damn the place. Consider The Ten Commandments broken down for example:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM&feature=fvst"]George Carlin using Te[/YOUTUBE]

The whole act is about efficiency. He noticed where each commandment had fluff in it, and he cut it out to make them (in his opinion) work better. Took ten and ended up with two, and called it a success. The only other type he could be is ESTJ, but his Te doesn't rely on past experience or info at all, it's all about ideas he plucked out of thin air. That, and he was a very long-range planner.

That said, George Carlin was great. Rest in peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole