User Tag List

12311 Last

heart on fire

Page xvi of The Portable Jung, tells in Jung's own words how deeply painful the discovery about the affair between Freud and Freud's SIL was. This was in 1907 and then in 1909, Freud called Jung's ideas about parapsychology "Sheer Nonsense!" and things began to get only worse after that.

Jung says that it was the love triangle that was a very important part in his break with him and also that he felt Freud placed authority above truth in regards to exploring parapsychology.

MBTI
    ERTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Jung lost respect for Freud because of Freud's deceptive infidelity, that's part of their split that had nothing to do with their professional lives.
    And Jung was unfaithful himself, right? - Or at the very least sleeping with his clients, which is possibly worse than cheating on a spouse.

Oh and regarding Freud and parapsychology, Freud happened to take telepathy seriously :rolli:
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    And Jung was unfaithful himself, right? - Or at the very least sleeping with his clients, which is possibly worse than cheating on a spouse.

Oh and regarding Freud and parapsychology, Freud happened to take telepathy seriously :rolli:
    Hey, I am just relating what I read Jung say. I make no defense of how balanced or fair it was.

MBTI
    ERTP

Incidentally, what is SIL?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Incidentally, what is SIL?
    succubussister-in-law

But Jung was an N, so everything he did was okay!
    And Freud was an S, so everything he did was evil!

(You know how mystics think.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ERTP

I appreciate the humor, Jen.

Now my curiosity takes over though: Your think he's S?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I appreciate the humor, Jen.

Now my curiosity takes over though: Your think he's S?
    Yes, I thought Freud was an S. He's quite the empiricist, who then adds a great deal of pseudo-N talk to the data. (He started out as a hardcore data collect for... what was it... hysterectomy patients?)

Many of his ideas seem to be comprised of bits and pieces of data taken from his research but then connected in illogical or inconclusive ways and treated conclusively. N's tend to start with a framework and piece data into it.

I'd at least give him a TJ rating.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ERTP

Well E, T and J are given to most (i know a few who want him introverted but hey). I'm curious though, please indulge me and I'll get around to my point in a minute: What do you think of Aristotle's type then?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well E, T and J are given to most (i know a few who want him introverted but hey). I'm curious though, please indulge me and I'll get around to my point in a minute: What do you think of Aristotle's type then?
    I don't know. I haven't really studied the Greek philosophers in detail enough to be sure of each.

(I know Socrates was very much a mentor-type, as opposed to other philosophers who were more introverted... but really, my knowledge about their personalities is very spotty.)

MBTI
    ERTP

ok, well then my idea is that aristotle is to plato as freud is to jung. I'm sure you know this piece by raphael:

anyhow, it's an interesting point: is freud an empiricist because he's an S or is he an empiricist because he was one of the most technically gifted ENTJs in history and he knew that to break the ground necessary to bring psychology into the realm of science then he had to take the empiricist approach. if you look at the works freud produced at his leisure, then they almost certainly point to N than is, his biography of Da Vinci, his theory of Moses etc.

to me, the most probable way to make freud an S would be to say that he ripped nietzsche off (which he was actually asked if he had done at one point), that is - adopted nietzsches ideas into an S framework.
    Last edited by Blackwater; 08-31-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typos - getting coffee