User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 134

  1. #71
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,419

    Default

    Six Phases in the Development of Jung's Theory of Types

    "[...] a few years ago there was a debate about whether Jung himself was an INTP or INTJ.

    It was fueled, in part, by a misunderstanding arising out of the MBTI premise that people inadvertently and mistakenly attribute to Jung: namely,
    that no individual could (on theoretical grounds) simultaneously have introverted intuition and introverted thinking as dominant and auxiliary functions.


    Ironically, Jung was just such a person and thus did not fit well into either MBTI category - INTP or INTJ.

    And the possibility that introverted thinking and introverted intuition were Jung's dominant/auxiliary functions,
    ironically never occured to those who sought to type him."

  2. #72
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Six Phases in the Development of Jung's Theory of Types

    "[...] a few years ago there was a debate about whether Jung himself was an INTP or INTJ.

    It was fueled, in part, by a misunderstanding arising out of the MBTI premise that people inadvertently and mistakenly attribute to Jung: namely,
    that no individual could (on theoretical grounds) simultaneously have introverted intuition and introverted thinking as dominant and auxiliary functions.


    Ironically, Jung was just such a person and thus did not fit well into either MBTI category - INTP or INTJ.

    And the possibility that introverted thinking and introverted intuition were Jung's dominant/auxiliary functions,
    ironically never occured to those who sought to type him."
    So I guess that would make him INFJ... (or ISTP, but that seems unlikely)?

    The fact that Ni and Ti seem to be my strongest functions is the reason I typed as INFJ (along with Fe being the strongest Extraverted function).

    If Ni and Ti are both his strongest functions, we need to figure out what his strongest Extraverted function (though it's weaker than both of them) was.

    Either that, or we can settle for INTx... sigh. Perhaps Jung doesn't fit into the MBTI variation on his system well.

  3. #73
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    That sounds so INFP.

    I tend to think Freud was INTJ because of his...ahem....sexual problems.


    ETA. I am just kidding, using the INTP accusation that INTJ spend more time thinking about sex than having sex.
    It sure does...

  4. #74
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post

    what is it with people, especially IXXPs being so anal about this? is it just that time of the month?
    Classay!

  5. #75
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So I guess that would make him INFJ... (or ISTP, but that seems unlikely)?

    The fact that Ni and Ti seem to be my strongest functions is the reason I typed as INFJ (along with Fe being the strongest Extraverted function).

    If Ni and Ti are both his strongest functions, we need to figure out what his strongest Extraverted function (though it's weaker than both of them) was.

    Either that, or we can settle for INTx... sigh. Perhaps Jung doesn't fit into the MBTI variation on his system well.
    It puts the whole issue outside of MBTI so MBTI four letter code would mean nothing. It would be better then to say that one believed he was Ti-Ni under Jung typology. But trying to relate it to MBTI terms I think just confuses the issue too much.

  6. #76
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So I guess that would make him INFJ... (or ISTP, but that seems unlikely)?

    The fact that Ni and Ti seem to be my strongest functions is the reason I typed as INFJ (along with Fe being the strongest Extraverted function).
    They're not suggesting INFJ, ISTP or any MBTI type.
    That was their point.
    I happen to agree with them.

    There is no law, no rule,
    that says you can't have Dom/Aux functions that are both I or E.
    Ni-Ti or Ti-Ni.

    MBTI "by law"--their law-- doesn't allow for such a thing.
    Well just because they don't allow it in their theory,
    doesn't mean it's accurate.

    So yes, Jung could have Ti-Ni or Ni-Ti as his top two functions.
    He doesn't have to be an MBTI Type (nor does anyone).
    There are possibilities beyond MBTI.
    Singer and Loomis created a personality inventory that allows for any function order.
    No assumptions.
    No rules.

  7. #77
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    i understand and agree with what you say jaguar, but i hate the way you say it.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  8. #78
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    , but i hate the way you say it.
    Because he states it correctly?

  9. #79
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    They're not suggesting INFJ, ISTP or any MBTI type.
    That was their point.
    I happen to agree with them.

    There is no law, no rule,
    that says you can't have Dom/Aux functions that are both I or E.
    Ni-Ti or Ti-Ni.

    MBTI "by law"--their law-- doesn't allow for such a thing.
    Well just because they don't allow it in their theory,
    doesn't mean it's accurate.

    So yes, Jung could have Ti-Ni or Ni-Ti as his top two functions.
    He doesn't have to be an MBTI Type (nor does anyone).
    There are possibilities beyond MBTI.
    Singer and Loomis created a personality inventory that allows for any function order.
    No assumptions.
    No rules.
    Oh. I agree that it doesn't have to be that way. I was just saying that if you were going to force-fit an MBTI type, it would have to be one of those. Because MBTI has hard rules that don't always make sense.

    Well, I haven't heard about Singer and Loomis. What do you call a function order that isn't typical? What would you use for notation?

  10. #80
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Because he states it correctly?
    because of what is implied underneath. i don't need to tell you more than that.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

Similar Threads

  1. Update on Jung’s Type
    By Article Poster in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
  2. Jung Test - Type Evaluator
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 02:05 AM
  3. 5-Choice Jung P-Type Test
    By Jaguar in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
  4. Freud and Jung
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 03:33 AM
  5. Freud's type
    By Gabe in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO