• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freud/Jung's Type

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I don't see how he's showing Ne. He's focused on one vision, one Platonic ideal, one fixation. And it's gazing into the unknown, the hidden, the obscure. It seems very Ni to me. That, and he describes himself as utterly failing at Sensing, which would suggest S-inferior. INTPs, especially adult INTPs, are quite good at Si (and indeed fairly Si-reliant). And his description of what does exist of that S function strikes me as Se - a focus on the immediate, the present, the visible external reality.

I don't know anything about Jung, really, but this just struck me as odd. Gazing into the unknown, a fixation on a particular topic of interest and trying to understand it in it's entirity? Is that not the calling card of the INTP, with dominant Ti and auxilliary Ne?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know anything about Jung, really, but this just struck me as odd. Gazing into the unknown, a fixation on a particular topic of interest and trying to understand it in it's entirity? Is that not the calling card of the INTP, with dominant Ti and auxilliary Ne?
The "understand it in its entirety" part is kind of what gives me pause. Jungian psychology strikes me as vague mystical claptrap.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The "understand it in its entirety" part is kind of what gives me pause. Jungian psychology strikes me as vague mystical claptrap.

but still you follow mbti? mbti is like 95% jungian psychology. mbti is built on jungs idea of psychological types, all mbti types were written by jung originally, mbti just adds shadow functions(jung had similar ideas tho, but he called them something(i dont remember what) of the unconscious) and if i remember right jung only stated first and secondary function for each type. the descriptions for each type are pretty much the same, but with different words and concentrating more on how the type effects the persons personality while jung was concentrating more on the persons psychology. i got jungs psychological types(what mbti was built on) and it states many things that people are trying to figure out again through mbti, simply because mbti leaves them out for some reason(maybe Katherine Briggs and Isabel Myers didnt fully understand jungs ideas and left much of it out).

and yes jung is definitely an intp. i think i remember him saying it himself and everything about him(and inventing this kind of psychological types and collective uncoscious, the way he got to his theories about them etc) and what he has written(including his writing style) points out clearly to intp.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So how did he deduce "functions"? Where does it come from?

"In my practical medical work with nervous patients I have long been struck by the fact that besides the many individual differences in human psychology there are also typical differences. Two types especially became clear to me; I have termed them the introverted and the extraverted types."

bla bla bla bla

"Hypothesis of introversion and extraversion allows us, first of all, to distinguish two large groups of psychological individuals. Yet this grouping is of such a superficial and general nature that it permits no more than this very general distinction. Closer investigation of the individual psychologies that fall into one group or the other will at once show great differences between individuals who nevertheless belong to the same group. If, therefore, we wish to determine wherein lie the differences between individuals belonging to a definite group, we must take a further step. Experience has thought me that in general individuals can be distinguished not only according to the broad distinction between introversion and extraversion, but also according to their basic psychological functions. For in the same measure as outer circumstances and inner disposition cause either introversion or extraversion to predominate, they also favour the predominance of one definite basic function in the individual. I have found from experience that the basic psychological functions, that is, functions which are genuinely as essentially different from other functions, prove to be thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition. If one of these functions habitually predominates, a corresponding type results. I therefore distinguish a thinking, a feeling, a sensation, and an intuitive type. Each of these types may moreover be either introverted or extraverted, depending on its relation to the object as we have described above..."

i think you got the idea

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I read that Freud was a Fi-dom, and his inferior Te bubbled to the surface with his obsessive research (Apparently inferior Te can lead to 'monomania'). He basically used his crazed Te to justify his Fi convictions. That is why his "proof" isn't always that conclusive and he was so concerned with sticking to his guns no matter what others said or even reasoned.

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
Jung is INFJ - he was very heavily using Ti in those interviews posted (pronounced right head tilt as Ti is a right-brained function) which is a tertiary function so is somewhat draining and slows down his auxiliary process (Fe) and hence articulation.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but still you follow mbti?
Not only that, but I use nothing but Jungian functions. ;) The theory is fun to play with, even if it's unscientific bullshit.

Butterflystone

MBTI Type
INtP
In this interview, Jung states Freud was a different personality type than himself. From what Jung said it suggests Jung as a P and Freud as a J.