• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freud/Jung's Type

heart

heart on fire
that's exactly what i do.

No, it's not. You make your own system, which is fine of course, but there's no point in someone who is following the guidelines of MBTI to debate type with you because you just make up whatever you want to. It ends up being two people discussing two different topics.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
No, it's not. You make your own system, which is fine of course, but there's no point in someone who is following the guidelines of MBTI to debate type with you because you just make up whatever you want to. It ends up being two people discussing two different topics.

yeah thanks for telling me what i do, because i obviously don't know better myself. honestly, stop the bullshit already. i follow the guidelines for typing people, but not for typing myself.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Not if you think Jung is INFJ. :cheese:

wait, are you saying that all people who think that jung is INFJ don't believe in MBTI? well shoot, i guess there are more unbelievers here than i thought.

christ INXPs get on my nerves.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
No, just you. :D

and your reasoning would be...

EDIT: i can see you choose not to answer. fine, then i will assume you reasoning would lie in that i use another theory to type myself. which would make you a bigot.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
jung infj
freud intj

jung is about as mystical as a person can get. the mandala? he has really extensively developed Ti hence the frequent intp associations. his Fe is what makes him live and breathe, feel alive, search for the things that give him the goosebumps. both are obviously Ni dominants, two Ni dominants with similar interests and deeply shared landmarks meet and talk for 14 hrs. you are sharing your entire internal map with someone else. but freud is Te cracked out. all of those cats, nietzsche, marx, and freud were intjs. i love intjs. i'm dating one and i see why they work so well as systematic philosphers. heidegger too. there is such a powerfully real connection between infjs and intjs. i want to know what hannah arendt was, if she's infj, i'll laugh and laugh and laugh (but it's what i suspect...). (simone beauvoir as infj, what is sartre??????) intjs get along better with entps than intps, in my experience, one-to-one. Ti and Te clash like Fi and Fe, unless they are very very much on the same page. whereas infjs gets along with intps very well bc of the Ti connection, we'll get bogged down in details when the details are organized/organic and representationally holistic.

jung was more likely a 5w4 or 4w5 and freud is soooo 5w6. 6 is way more intj than infj. jung is so humane, so sensitive to the other, so perturbed by disharmony and not-knowing particularly in matters of what it means to be a human being. freud is so much more impersonal and detached (with the undercurrent/silent pull of Fi directing his Te). jung seems like really strong Ti not taking no for an answer, but demanding the entire way a deeper warmer humanity in everything, more meaning, more CONNECTION.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
but jung said that he was an INTP and that freud was a neurotic extrovert.

so there are weak cases for what you say, Jung, INFJ Freud INTJ. but overall the evidence points to Jung INTP / Freud ENTJ

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Freud was an INTJ. I've heard that Jung was an INFJ, but I don't know about that. It's very possible that he was a P. I don't necesarily think that being "clinical" makes someone a T. I have a friend who is a doctor and she tests INFJ and even INFP sometimes.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
but jung said that he was an INTP and that freud was a neurotic extrovert.

so there are weak cases for what you say, Jung, INFJ Freud INTJ. but overall the evidence points to Jung INTP / Freud ENTJ

soooooooooooooources please

Jaguar

Six Phases in the Development of Jung's Theory of Types

"[...] a few years ago there was a debate about whether Jung himself was an INTP or INTJ.

It was fueled, in part, by a misunderstanding arising out of the MBTI premise that people inadvertently and mistakenly attribute to Jung: namely,
that no individual could (on theoretical grounds) simultaneously have introverted intuition and introverted thinking as dominant and auxiliary functions.

Ironically, Jung was just such a person and thus did not fit well into either MBTI category - INTP or INTJ.

And the possibility that introverted thinking and introverted intuition were Jung's dominant/auxiliary functions,
ironically never occured to those who sought to type him."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Six Phases in the Development of Jung's Theory of Types

"[...] a few years ago there was a debate about whether Jung himself was an INTP or INTJ.

It was fueled, in part, by a misunderstanding arising out of the MBTI premise that people inadvertently and mistakenly attribute to Jung: namely,
that no individual could (on theoretical grounds) simultaneously have introverted intuition and introverted thinking as dominant and auxiliary functions.

Ironically, Jung was just such a person and thus did not fit well into either MBTI category - INTP or INTJ.

And the possibility that introverted thinking and introverted intuition were Jung's dominant/auxiliary functions,
ironically never occured to those who sought to type him."

So I guess that would make him INFJ... (or ISTP, but that seems unlikely)?

The fact that Ni and Ti seem to be my strongest functions is the reason I typed as INFJ (along with Fe being the strongest Extraverted function).

If Ni and Ti are both his strongest functions, we need to figure out what his strongest Extraverted function (though it's weaker than both of them) was.

Either that, or we can settle for INTx... sigh. Perhaps Jung doesn't fit into the MBTI variation on his system well.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
That sounds so INFP. :D

I tend to think Freud was INTJ because of his...ahem....sexual problems. :violin:

ETA. I am just kidding, using the INTP accusation that INTJ spend more time thinking about sex than having sex.

It sure does...:hug::heart:

heart

heart on fire

The fact that Ni and Ti seem to be my strongest functions is the reason I typed as INFJ (along with Fe being the strongest Extraverted function).

If Ni and Ti are both his strongest functions, we need to figure out what his strongest Extraverted function (though it's weaker than both of them) was.

Either that, or we can settle for INTx... sigh. Perhaps Jung doesn't fit into the MBTI variation on his system well.

It puts the whole issue outside of MBTI so MBTI four letter code would mean nothing. It would be better then to say that one believed he was Ti-Ni under Jung typology. But trying to relate it to MBTI terms I think just confuses the issue too much.

Jaguar

They're not suggesting INFJ, ISTP or any MBTI type.
That was their point.
I happen to agree with them.

There is no law, no rule,
that says you can't have Dom/Aux functions that are both I or E.
Ni-Ti or Ti-Ni.

MBTI "by law"--their law-- doesn't allow for such a thing.
Well just because they don't allow it in their theory,
doesn't mean it's accurate.

So yes, Jung could have Ti-Ni or Ni-Ti as his top two functions.
He doesn't have to be an MBTI Type (nor does anyone).
There are possibilities beyond MBTI.
Singer and Loomis created a personality inventory that allows for any function order.
No assumptions.
No rules.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i understand and agree with what you say jaguar, but i hate the way you say it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They're not suggesting INFJ, ISTP or any MBTI type.
That was their point.
I happen to agree with them.

There is no law, no rule,
that says you can't have Dom/Aux functions that are both I or E.
Ni-Ti or Ti-Ni.

MBTI "by law"--their law-- doesn't allow for such a thing.
Well just because they don't allow it in their theory,
doesn't mean it's accurate.

So yes, Jung could have Ti-Ni or Ni-Ti as his top two functions.
He doesn't have to be an MBTI Type (nor does anyone).
There are possibilities beyond MBTI.
Singer and Loomis created a personality inventory that allows for any function order.
No assumptions.
No rules.

Oh. I agree that it doesn't have to be that way. I was just saying that if you were going to force-fit an MBTI type, it would have to be one of those. Because MBTI has hard rules that don't always make sense.

Well, I haven't heard about Singer and Loomis. What do you call a function order that isn't typical? What would you use for notation?