I heard somewhere Carl Jung was INTP...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I read that Jung was INTP and Freud was INFJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Given that Freud considered introversion a mental illness, I'd say he was an extravert.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I read that Jung was INTP and Freud was INFJ.
    I've heard that also, but have reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Given that Freud considered introversion a mental illness, I'd say he was an extravert.
    LOL

One thing i'm certain of concerning Freud is that his emotional world was Fi not Fe. He projected his own emotional framework onto his theory big time and used the complete absense of external emotional cues as a technique. He seems much more strongly T than F as well.

It is funny on these sites dominated by introverts that there is a continual assumption that leaders and performers are introverts. That can indeed happen, but it's a rare combo and usually their life reveals their true introversion with some clarity. I agree there isn't much in Freud's life to suggest introversion over extroversion. Remember the significant majority of people are extroverts. Introverts that go down in history often deal with ideas in more isolation that don't involve other people. There are a number of writers who are introverts. People who can play the crowd or work extensively with people are going to tend to be extroverts far more often than not.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Introverts can be quite self-hating. Introverted criticism of introversion is likely to be more harsh and poignant.

I kind of see him as very similar to Lenore Thompson and Katherine Briggs who I believe were both INFJs.

This website claims Freud as an INFJ.

Famous likely INFJs include: Thomas Jefferson (whose creativity, genius, and idealism helped to forge the Republic, even though his own aristocratic value system was different from that of the Constituition he helped to author); Jimmy Carter (whose Introversion kept him from being understood, and whose iNtuitive-Feeling preference enabled him to be a powerful mediator in bringing Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat to an accord); and Sigmund Freud (whose iNtuitive psychological theories revolutionized the world, and whose strong Feeling preference kept him working to help people his entire life, although others' criticism of his work made him ever more rigidly entrenched in his own beliefs).
    I think Frued is a good candidate for Ni. A lot of anecdotes I've read about him makes him seem introverted.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    IOne thing i'm certain of concerning Freud is that his emotional world was Fi not Fe. He projected his own emotional framework onto his theory big time and used the complete absense of external emotional cues as a technique.

I actually think he was projecting what he perceived to be societal frameworks into his theory (a lot of people believed that people were inherently savages and needed to be "cultured" to not end up in that state), not his own desires.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"We know that Jung once told a colleague that his Dominant function was Introverted Thinking. That means he was either an ISTP or an INTP. Jung was certainly abstract rather than concrete, so it seems safe to hold him up as an example of an INTP." Vol. 2 No. 3 (Winter 1985) of The Type Reporter (page 10)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Page xvi of The Portable Jung, tells in Jung's own words how deeply painful the discovery about the affair between Freud and Freud's SIL was. This was in 1907 and then in 1909, Freud called Jung's ideas about parapsychology "Sheer Nonsense!" and things began to get only worse after that.

Jung says that it was the love triangle that was a very important part in his break with him and also that he felt Freud placed authority above truth in regards to exploring parapsychology.
    The term is not the thing.

What is today described as parapsychology has nothing to do with Jung.

Unless you get caught up with semantics.

The appellation is a misdemeanour.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I read somewhere Jung didn't agree too much on him being typed as an INTP, he is mentioned as an INTJ.
    Jung sometimes seems to (as if for supposed societal requiredness, to mimick society's confusal of terms) 'mess up' terms.
    With saying of himself introverted thinking was his dominant function he might as well have meant introverted intuition.

Freud is held to have been an extravert, as is Goethe (in Jung's books both pointed out as opposites of introverts), and both are often typed as introverts (e.g. INFJ), while I think Goethe might have been ENFJ (He's more expressive of his need to be alone, making it conditional for having to have a certain goal to work towards). Could Freud have been ENTJ (seen from the reactions here, so both having T, Fi and Ni)?
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

jung was without doubt INFJ. if he was T, he would not have the ability to understand people as well as he did.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    ESTJ

Jung INTP(?)
    Freud ENTP(?)