• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tom Petty

heart

heart on fire
Wikipedia says: Petty also overcame a difficult relationship with his father, who found it hard to accept that his son was "a mild-mannered kid who was interested in the arts" and subjected him to verbal and physical abuse on a regular basis.

Anyone up for a guess about Tom Petty's type? My guess ISFP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
He seems ISFP in the way he appears, but my guess would be INFJ. I don't know much about him.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
You could be right, but from listening to his music I always thought he was an INFP.

maliafee

A lot of people have typed Bob Dylan as ISFP, and Tom Petty loves/emulates Bob Dylan in some respects (worked with him in the Traveling Wilburys -->so good). Maybe that's why he seems ISFP. I kinda think INFP, too...

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I adore Tom Petty's music. I do think he's IxFP, dunno if it's S or N. :huh:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
seems isfp to me, way too grounded and down-to-earth to be infp. plus he likes to the jamz too much to be an infp, in concert at least (so i've heard).

themarlins

Seems like INFP to me.

There's a gentleness there. Seems kinda delicate. Like INFP's on the outside usually do.

Katy Perry is a better example of ISFP. Total bimbo and airhead.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Seems like INFP to me.

There's a gentleness there. Seems kinda delicate. Like INFP's on the outside usually do.

You have no business assigning type to anyone.

You utterly fail at this.

Was Salvidor Dali also an airheaded bimbo? How about Bob Dylan? Ulysses S. Grant (U.S. president)...Sophia Coppola? Mozart? Steven Spielburg?

How about the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau?

Rodin?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You have no business assigning type to anyone.

You utterly fail at this.

Was Salvidor Dali also an airheaded bimbo? How about Bob Dylan? Ulysses S. Grant (U.S. president)...Sophia Coppola? Mozart? Steven Spielburg?

How about the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau?

Rodin?

+1 It annoys me when people say Bob Dylan is an "N" just because he is so good with words, and because he is too politically aware for an S.

A sidenote: Toonia (Annwn) made a very interesting argument for Mozart as an ENTP a while back, I wish I could find it. I know he is usually typed as an ISFP, but she left little doubt in my mind.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald, not to mention Zelda Fitzgerald, Agatha Christie, and William Wordsworth were all "good with words" and S.

There is a shit ton of misinformation on the Intertardz about S vs. N.

It's like people want to say "oh good every person I don't like or think is stupid is an S, and I'm an N just because I think I'm smrt."

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP

Um, what?

The ISFP's I know are not bimbo/airheads at all. That's a pretty unfair, and silly thing to say.

And with that said, I think Tom Petty = ISFP.

wolfy

awsm
I like Tom Petty. Tom Petty has a kind of nasal tone. Like Dylan. Dylan is isfp. So it only figures so is Petty.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not very fan of him. His music is nice but not enough "savage", too much a nice guy.

themarlins

TTom Pettyom Petty has come clean about his upbringing and says he still has nightmares about his violent father. According to Petty, his old man didn't understand his love of the arts and thought he was homosexual because he had no interest in playing football or baseball. Petty also says he loathed joining his dad, an outdoorsman, on hunting trips.

"(My father) was scary and violent," Petty said in the new issue of Rolling Stone. "He beat the living hell out of me, and there was constant verbal abuse."

"Looking back on it, he probably was disappointed that I was so drawn to the arts," the rocker added. "He probably thought I was gay. I wasn't interested in sports. I didn't know the names of any baseball players. I liked films and books and records."

"He liked to fish and hunt," Petty explained. "He'd drag me on these trips, and it was a nightmare. Shooting something repelled me."

sounds NF to me