First 1234 Last

Thread: Kobe Bryant

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    4w5

intj
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace."
    — Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar)

"Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted."
    — Sylvia Plath

Kobe was typed as ISFP in his younger years by that sports MBTI guy, Jon Neidnagel (he also was involved with Celtics scouts, and typed Paul Pierce as one.. just for comparison).. Niednagel even tried to warn Jerry West to not get his hopes up about Bryant being the next Jordan.. he mistakenly thought that he was moodier and too soft to be clutch. Besides that, he did exude a lot of that SFP Magic like demeanor that I could see similarities (One glance between him and ISTP-Jordan would show the difference between their general attitude...and even Jordan spotting the difference in Kobe's mental game there. Here's another later interview for reference..he talks like a Se performer there. Not a TJ).

Somewhere along the line though, Neidnagel has been proven wrong, Kobe is actually a pretty tough leader (maybe not always constructive as one either..he flies off the handle and gets overly harsh about his own teammates', for one), different than what he was as a younger guy, so I could believe he's grown somewhat into ISTP or even ESFP who have an easier time exerting their Te. Personally, it wears me out to be like that, but it's not beyond me either. Heh. IxTJ though is Phil Jackson, if anyone -and he's somebody a lot more comfortable and mature being that way too. Lastly, if he doesn't fit some kind of sensitive F artist stereotype enough, then he's worked with Shepherd Fairey and that guy talked about being surprised that Kobe is somewhat of an artist. Same with Nike people who talk about Kobe's design skills. Something to consider at least.

If his wife is a crazy ENFP, that just makes her a semi-dual. Not a bad arrangement. We all like crazy ENFP chicks

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Kobe was typed as ISFP in his younger years by that sports MBTI guy, Jon Neidnagel (he also was involved with Celtics scouts, and typed Paul Pierce as one.. just for comparison).. Niednagel even tried to warn Jerry West to not get his hopes up about Bryant being the next Jordan.. he mistakenly thought that he was moodier and too soft to be clutch. Besides that, he did exude a lot of that SFP Magic like demeanor that I could see similarities (One glance between him and ISTP-Jordan would show the difference between their general attitude...and even Jordan spotting the difference in Kobe's mental game there. Here's another later interview for reference..he talks like a Se performer there. Not a TJ).

If his wife is a crazy ENFP, that just makes her a semi-dual. Not a bad arrangement. We all like crazy ENFP chicks
    Someone agrees with me that he's at least an sp, jesus.

I think his F is way too playful to be introverted, just a mask for his upper functions (especially that intensely creative side).

Still stuck on istp. He has a relation of benefit happening with Phil, who is an intj. But can anyone rationally explain his relation with enfj fisher?

Interesting points.. I think ISFPs are plenty playful in their F though. Especially in fresh or new places, where we can be... a little cute and giddy, if I had to say it. xD That's my take at least. From what I can tell, we're different than INFP (I don't know enough outside of here to really say though). And ISTP is a bit hard to warm up like that.. That's Jordan, Bird, Shaq, McGrady.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Interesting points.. I think ISFPs are plenty playful in their F though. Especially in fresh or new places, where we can be... a little cute and giddy, if I had to say it. xD That's my take at least. From what I can tell, we're different than INFP (I don't know enough outside of here to really say though). And ISTP is a bit hard to warm up like that.. That's Jordan, Bird, Shaq, McGrady.
    His T seems to be pulling the rest of his cabooses. If there's ever a situation that requires spontaneous, split-second decisions that require near-perfect physical coordination, who do you turn to?

Durant is the only isfp in my short-term memory who I know is counted on in the clutch.

Agreed on the first two.

What do you think about Shaq as esfp and McG as isfp?

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    If there's ever a situation that requires spontaneous, split-second decisions that require near-perfect physical coordination, who do you turn to?
    Se. Percieving. That's the mistake many people make. Even some of my fellow STPs..hijacking ability in the badass stuff because they're T or something.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    His T seems to be pulling the rest of his cabooses. If there's ever a situation that requires spontaneous, split-second decisions that require near-perfect physical coordination, who do you turn to?

Durant is the only isfp in my short-term memory who I know is counted on in the clutch.

Agreed on the first two.

What do you think about Shaq as esfp and McG as isfp?
    isfps can be awesome at rising to the moment, but they need to be in the flow.

dwade, for instance, who is as clutch as they come. it's still different vs an istp who just doesn't stop coming flow or not (see: jordan, jkidd, gnobili, rondo, etc).

other isfps who can rise:
    pierce
    billups is better in the clutch than throughout the rest of the game
    durant definitely
    baron davis was better in the clutch than throughout the rest of the game

i'm sure there's more. i have lebron typed as infp 4. Fi just needs to be feeling it to really resonate and maximize its energy/focus.

kobe does not have Fe at all. he has to try so hard to communicate. his gestures most often rub people the wrong way, feel completely forced, seem inauthentic/fake. he doesn't have any attentiveness to/awareness of the Fe signals.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    isfps can be awesome at rising to the moment, but they need to be in the flow.

dwade, for instance, who is as clutch as they come. it's still different vs an istp who just doesn't stop coming flow or not (see: jordan, jkidd, gnobili, rondo, etc).

other isfps who can rise:
    pierce
    billups is better in the clutch than throughout the rest of the game
    durant definitely
    baron davis was better in the clutch than throughout the rest of the game

i'm sure there's more. i have lebron typed as infp 4. Fi just needs to be feeling it to really resonate and maximize its energy/focus.

kobe does not have Fe at all. he has to try so hard to communicate. his gestures most often rub people the wrong way, feel completely forced, seem inauthentic/fake. he doesn't have any attentiveness to/awareness of the Fe signals.
    Pierce is another isfp, yep. Wade, too.

Jordan and Kidd are istps, agreed.

That Larry King interview with gaga helped reshape my understanding of the differences between isfps & istps, so with those new ideas in mind, Billups does seem to be a feeler. Wish that could be confirmed. I think that simply because entj stephen a. smith spent an entire interview kissing his butt that it had to be a supervisor relation.

I have, however
    Davis at enfp (a la Arenas)
    Ginobili at entp (a la Udrih)
    and Ronds at enfp, albeit quiet one.

I still consider leBron an estp.

A younger istp brother of mine reminds me so (sooooooooooo, as you'd put it) much of kobe that it's scary. He's every bit as introverted - also struggles with verbalizing his thoughts, more like his beliefs - to the point at which it gets a bit ridiculous how distorted his worldview is. Example: he had this obsession for wood coathangers. There'd be a layer of laundry a foot deep in his room, but every clean shirt had one. He even gave me a mini lesson on the benefits of having a perfectly ironed shirtcollar, even though he was simultaneously/unconsciously fucking himself in every other sense by playing dionysus 24/7.

We're both obstinate, unflinching, calculating, OBSERVANT to a fault (creeping up on paranoia) etc. etc... but while he's wrapped up in satisfying the senses, dressing in cool designer clothes - striving to maintain that "ideal" 3w2 lifestyle- I focus on addressing ethical/moral quandaries.

I'm going to pay closer attention to interactions/altercations with enf- types this coming season because this needs to be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    Not exactly what you're talking about, but what would you call these types of attempts at humor? : Like Pierce here. Or Kobe here. I'm curious if that is Fi actually, or people like that are just moody ISTPs (I'm a bit undecided even on myself)? I've done stuff like that before too.. semi-competitive humor. My ego is different these days, but I've met plenty of -_- looks from friends who don't like it. I think my measure of "Fe" type of distance has been poor.

I think when non-Fe types are enjoying themselves and oriented in their experience (regardless of others), they are as inviting and communicative as Fe. I think there's a way Fi can express itself to draw people in (especially the extroverts), rather than attend to or influence per se. It's a subtle difference. And I think Kobe can be cool like that at times. He's not necessarily fake. Hard to prove that, I can't find examples now I guess for instance: Another Jordan/Kobe comparison. It's short, but he's just stoked there. Back to ISTP differences - I always saw that more toned down, more cerebral take that Jordan has to be more like ISTP (a variation of ISTP at least). More of Jordan. Kobe has a mood oriented, impressionistic way of speaking. Somewhat long interview here.

I watched most of the videos posted. Fun way to spend the morning, I don't see why Pierce and Kobe are not isfp from the videos. As far as the competitive humour goes, sure, in those situations I would sometimes be like that. I am like that in the gym with training partners. The atmosphere is open to it...

I love the give and take of conversations. I really feel thrilled and excited learning from that intellectual energy combined with that emotional energy. It gives me a sense of the person. In any situation, I love the give and take, the playfulness and energy, the excitement and a little bit of competition, a little bit of one-upsmanship. But when it becomes abrasive and people personally attack others, I’m offended.
    I really relate to this quote. It is from here.

Anyway, that is my take. Enjoyed the videos, seem isfp as far as I can tell.