• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Great Gatsby

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nick: ISTP (predominant Ti user)
Tom: ESTJ
Daisy: INFJ?
Jay Gatsby: ENFP

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have't read it in a while, but I would say that Daisy is an ISFJ. I agree with the rest.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Don't do that with this book IMO - the characters aren't real composite inviduals, they're representations of particular populations of the generation that came out of ww2. I forget whom was which, but I recall that Gatsby is supposed to represent the well-to do male generation returning from a war with everything he needs in life (IE, he's "rich"), except for having his soul intact and being completely confused about what to do in life.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Don't do that with this book IMO - the characters aren't real composite inviduals, they're representations of particular populations of the generation that came out of ww2. I forget whom was which, but I recall that Gatsby is supposed to represent the well-to do male generation returning from a war with everything he needs in life (IE, he's "rich"), except for having his soul intact.

Interesting. Do you have any more on this?

Tom and Daisy represent the corrupt old order or something, with Nick the neutral narrator?

Tom and Daisy DO represent the corruption of the American Dream where individualism and freedom have come to mean crass materialism and selfishness.

Gatsby represents the temporary "levelling" of the field brought about by the war which allowed people from lower class backgrounds to prosper.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I don't actually, i just definitely remember the characters being so cookie cutter or plain, and then learning they're not real individuals but metaphors for aspects of what you mention.... it's been so long since I read it, discussed it in class and even watched the flick(10 years now). Several events that happen to the characters are supposed to be representative as well.....

I remember one now just flipping through the wiki article - the Green light!! I remember from the flick there's this one scene where you see the green light at an intersection, but everything around it is dark and you can't see what's around it. This represents Gatsby's desire to go forward and be successful and rich, and he does that, very easily. He can get whatever he wants. but Everything is empty and meaningless to Gatsby because his soul was crushed during the war, hence the goals he's after are hollow (that's why it's dark around the green signal - there's no real Light or Life around his aims)....

Poor Gatsby :( The actor who played him in the flick was perfect for the character imo (robert redford btw, in the 74 version)