• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emily Haines

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What do you think? XNXP? That's all I've got. At times she seems I, but her sheer verbosity seems E. Also, I'm leaning more T than F (contrary to the NF Musicians thread). So, ENFP or ENTP?

Interviews, for your pleasure:

YouTube - Lowdown - Metric Interview Part 1of 4

YouTube - Lowdown - Metric Interview Part 3 of 4

YouTube - Metric Interview: On Self Releasing New Album

YouTube - Interview: Emily Haines of Metric

Her mannerisms when speaking kind of remind me of my own (looking down, posture, distractedness, sideways eyebrow look, squinting, vagueness of words, excessive hand motions, bit of a restless vibe)- though she seems more excitable. It's very weird.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just based on her music, I would've guessed INFP. It makes me want to slit my wrists and cry in a corner.

I would also suggest that her apparent verbosity is caused by her being completely drunk or coked out (she has a well-known coke habit and often performs at gigs high).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I'm not a fan of her music. In fact, I hadn't even heard of her until yesterday when someone mentioned her in that other thread. And the coke thing would certainly explain her verbosity, lol.

YouTube - Emily Haines - Interview

Good lord, now I see NF. "I want to be a sound."

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just for the record, entp.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
YouTube - "Help, I'm Alive" Interview - Emily Haines of Metric

What she says here, "since I was honest with myself, and accepted that I'm really scared, and I dunno where my life is going and what I'm doing," kinda resonates that kind of 'lost' INFP thought, and all the things she goes on about context and the people that she met, points towards something like that. I can imagine myself talking like she does, but that's all I can really say. Actually, for some reason I see INFJ too, but everyone seems to have identified P.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
YouTube - "Help, I'm Alive" Interview - Emily Haines of Metric

What she says here, "since I was honest with myself, and accepted that I'm really scared, and I dunno where my life is going and what I'm doing," kinda resonates that kind of 'lost' INFP thought, and all the things she goes on about context and the people that she met, points towards something like that. I can imagine myself talking like she does, but that's all I can really say. Actually, for some reason I see INFJ too, but everyone seems to have identified P.

Eh, I think the only thing that quote demonstrates is P (maybe FP). She just doesn't seem to give enough of a shit to be INFP, to me, and she frequently comes off as a bit abrasive. She gives off a "whatever" vibe...more apathetic than deeply introspective.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Eh, I think the only thing that quote demonstrates is P (maybe FP). She just doesn't seem to give enough of a shit to be INFP, to me, and she frequently comes off as a bit abrasive. She gives off a "whatever" vibe...more apathetic than deeply introspective.

I can't really judge this stuff very well... but I get some sense of strong introverted feeling from her, which can come off as seeming cold or indifferent externally.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can't really judge this stuff very well... but I get some sense of strong introverted feeling from her, which can come off as seeming cold or indifferent externally.

Well I don't really know what to say in response to this, but I don't get an "introverted feeling" vibe. If I see any function at all, it's Ne (which doesn't preclude INFP, obviously). Are there any specific things that you see as Fi, or is it just a gut feeling?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm...I found this. What do you think?

Bill: Huh—so what exactly are your personal beliefs about what is going on in Iraq?

Emily: [Bellowing] Oh God! When I was in grade 12, the first Gulf War happened. And I was like, “this is really fucked up.” ...The most superficial research—I go to my school library and find the complete history of the region, the Kurdish rebels, all the shit, everything that has to do with Kuwait...all the history of what was happening and like the true reason of what was happening in the Gulf. And we were all genuinely really angry. I mean, all my friends in school—we were all freaked out. We actually had demonstrations. Actually, the guy from Broken Social Scene, I don’t know if you know that band, but I have this permanent image in my head of him on a post. In some ways, childish, uh, but you know, whatever: children of hippies having a fucking demonstration against the war, I mean.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Well I don't really know what to say in response to this, but I don't get an "introverted feeling" vibe. If I see any function at all, it's Ne (which doesn't preclude INFP, obviously). Are there any specific things that you see as Fi, or is it just a gut feeling?

It's more of a gut feeling, unfortunately, so ultimately inconclusive and unhelpful. :doh: If there's evidence in her words / actions I don't know how to extract those bits out. I was just throwing the idea out there, as I tend to get particular feelings from people close to my type-- but it ends up quite confusing when I'm unable to support it (so I better just stop this here). :blush:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's more of a gut feeling, unfortunately, so ultimately inconclusive and unhelpful. :doh: If there's evidence in her words / actions I don't know how to extract those bits out. I was just throwing the idea out there, as I tend to get particular feelings from people close to my type-- but it ends up quite confusing when I'm unable to support it (so I better just stop this here). :blush:

Nah, I know what you mean. Even when I find things to support a particular typing, it ends up being inconclusive anyway because many behaviors can be attributed to different types or functions to an equal extent. For instance, I was going to say that I found her flighty vagueness and overall humor to be indicative of ENXP, but then I realized that this could apply equally to INFP or really a number of different types. So I dunno, it basically boils down to a gut feeling for me, too. I just don't think she seems "soft" enough to be INFP is all.

Though I do detect a pattern of imprecision in her thinking, or at least in her language. This would seem to point away from NT of any sort. She speaks very intuitively.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Nah, I know what you mean. Even when I find things to support a particular typing, it ends up being inconclusive anyway because many behaviors can be attributed to different types or functions to an equal extent. For instance, I was going to say that I found her flighty vagueness and overall humor to be indicative of ENXP, but then I realized that this could apply equally to INFP or really a number of different types. So I dunno, it basically boils down to a gut feeling for me, too. I just don't think she seems "soft" enough to be INFP is all.

I'll give you that, about not being so 'soft'--I think that's why I suggested INFJ... for some reason I think they come off as harder/stronger... though that guess could be way wrong, I'm just saying I also get that less soft vibe--in fact she sings 'hard to be soft, tough to be tender' which is probably how she sees herself. In general though, and also taking from that war quote, she seems more NF than NT is my guess

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
“I do try to live in the moment, but like her I have trouble as well,” says Haines on the phone from a tour stop in Toronto. “I mean, there has to be a reason why there are whole books of philosophy dedicated to that pursuit. It is definitely not easy to be here, now, but I try. It’s really easy to lose track of what you really enjoy when you end up occupying the results instead of the process.”

"I found this thing," says Emily Haines, through jet lag and a sip of Pimm's, "that I drew when I was really young. On a piece of paper, it says: 'What's wrong?' underlined twice, and then a big empty box, and then it just says Emily Haines at the bottom. And I thought, oh my God, that's basically what I've been doing for my entire career! Walking into a situation and seeing how well I can identify what's wrong with it. And describe it. And I think I can do that pretty well."

"I'm interested in the people who are inclined to be a little bit sad, who maybe see things in a sepia tone but without being mopes necessarily. And I like that about Metric - it's not the Jackson 5 pretending things are happy when they're not, it's acknowledging that actually things are a bit fucked and finding a way to turn that into something else."

I feel like those quotes have clues, but I don't know what they are.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'll give you that, about not being so 'soft'--I think that's why I suggested INFJ... for some reason I think they come off as harder/stronger... though that guess could be way wrong, I'm just saying I also get that less soft vibe--in fact she sings 'hard to be soft, tough to be tender' which is probably how she sees herself. In general though, and also taking from that war quote, she seems more NF than NT is my guess

Yeah, the war quote seems NF. About the "tough to be tender" thing, lol, I don't know. At any rate, I don't think she's INFJ...she seems a little too unhinged for that type (I see INFJs as a fairly controlled sort of personality). She reeks of P.

“I do try to live in the moment, but like her I have trouble as well,” says Haines on the phone from a tour stop in Toronto. “I mean, there has to be a reason why there are whole books of philosophy dedicated to that pursuit. It is definitely not easy to be here, now, but I try. It’s really easy to lose track of what you really enjoy when you end up occupying the results instead of the process.”

The whole process vs results orientation is a typical measure of P/J. So this I take as a sign of perceiving dominance.

"I found this thing," says Emily Haines, through jet lag and a sip of Pimm's, "that I drew when I was really young. On a piece of paper, it says: 'What's wrong?' underlined twice, and then a big empty box, and then it just says Emily Haines at the bottom. And I thought, oh my God, that's basically what I've been doing for my entire career! Walking into a situation and seeing how well I can identify what's wrong with it. And describe it. And I think I can do that pretty well."

This I can't say...I have no idea what it means. The relation of the picture to her career activity seems to have been an intuitive leap. As to the "walking into a situation and finding out what's wrong with it," this could be some sort of feeling. Not sure which, though. Or it could be intuition again.

"I'm interested in the people who are inclined to be a little bit sad, who maybe see things in a sepia tone but without being mopes necessarily. And I like that about Metric - it's not the Jackson 5 pretending things are happy when they're not, it's acknowledging that actually things are a bit fucked and finding a way to turn that into something else."

I think this is a pretty clear relation to feeling. Being attracted to sadness is a big NF thing, right? Though I will admit to having a melancholy attraction myself, so I don't know.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP more than Fi using ENFP
Like gwen stefani

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
ENTP more than Fi using ENFP
Like gwen stefani

Yeah, the more I read her interviews, the more I think she's not F. Take these for example:

QC: Poster of a girl is a great song, and when I hear it I can’t help but ponder how self-reflective it is? Is it an answer or at least a response to being a woman in a band filled with men?

Emily: I have no idea. It’s certainly not about the band. The band is my brothers, I got no beef with them. If there were any problems it would be external. But I have no idea why I write what I write.

QC: In “Doctor Blind”, you sing, “just prescribe the red one.” I have read some articles about you and your disdain with fast food culture and children being raised by TV sets and purple pills, is doctor blind a response to that in some ways?

Emily: It’s not a commentary, it’s just an observation.

I think the needless insistence on it being "just an observation," which I've heard from her in other contexts as well, AND the seeming lack of introspection on her part (she doesn't know why she writes what she writes) all point to ENTP. I honestly think her MO is just to make her music sound cool and appealing aesthetically, as opposed to self-revelation or catharsis (or a real political agenda). I think this points back to her comment about putting herself in a situation, figuring out the problem, and describing it- she describes what she thinks is wrong, but doesn't offer an explicit opinion or commentary.

Anyway, I really need a new hobby besides looking for evidence of this woman's ENTPness all day long :doh:. I swear I'm leaving my apartment tomorrow.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I actually asked this in the famous musicians thread a little while back in the NF forums but I don't think I got a response.

I really, really want to say she is an ENFJ. I don't really have anything to back it up besides my intuition but it all makes sense in my mind. I will try to post something I little more concrete later :>

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the consensus in an NF musician thread was ENFP. Evidence of strong Ne is in her speech & lyrics.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So...are we agreeing with ENFP? Threads merged, BTW.