• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marilyn Manson's type

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
no idea since i dont really know the guy or much about his music, but somehow he seems more infj to me

Try watching the link of the second video. See if as an INTP you can relate to what he says. You don't have to know his music firsthand. :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember a few interviews of his. When he gets relaxed, and gets kind of theoretical and abstract, I can definitely see an INTP in there.

I've never known an INTP really into image though, especially to the far out degree he goes. But I appreciate trying to stir things up and shock and all that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Try watching the link of the second video. See if as an INTP you can relate to what he says. You don't have to know his music firsthand. :)

hes high on the second video :D

hard to type people who are high. allso infj has Ti as third function and marilyn seems way too emo to be intp. maybe he could be an infj with well developed Ti?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Judging by the second video link, so far he seems completely Ni dom to me, but I'm not through the whole thing yet. In particular, he seems very concerned with self-transformation, meaning in regards to the self, and even exhibits a fear and dread of "separating himself from what he creates," which I don't associate with Ti dominance at all. Couple that with "forgetting how to feel" generally being a bad tert-Fi problem [sometimes INTJs will think Fi and their feelings are intruders that must be combated, while INTPs don't have so many issues identifying feelings, but have difficulty in expressing them] he seems like he could be INTJ to me, or at least INJ.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember a few interviews of his. When he gets relaxed, and gets kind of theoretical and abstract, I can definitely see an INTP in there.

I've never known an INTP really into image though, especially to the far out degree he goes. But I appreciate trying to stir things up and shock and all that.

I'm thinking that the over-the-top image was something he thought was a necessity in getting the ideas behind his message across, almost as a vehicle for his intellectual opinion.

I think he might be an extreme example of an INTP; one that is almost unable to find a happy medium. If you take an archetype of an INTP and give that person fame, money, and (too much) attention, while at the same time having that person not feel artistically accomplished or intellectually appreciated by the masses, the same result might ensue. In the interview, he seems to be talking about his 'Feelings' quite a bit, but only to acknowledge that he has ignored them for most of his life and failed to express them succinctly in his music, thinking that he was unable to express his feelings in a way he felt was adequate.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's more of an INTP. Definitely not an INFJ.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
He's ESTJ. His next album, to be released this summer, includes the following songs:

Get to Work!
You're Doing it All Wrong
Let me Show You the Right Way to Do It
It's 5am, Time to Get Up
We Don't Need No Stinkin Vacation
You're So Innefficient

:nice:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
He's ESTJ. His next album, to be released this summer, includes the following songs:

Get to Work!
You're Doing it All Wrong
Let me Show You the Right Way to Do It
It's 5am, Time to Get Up
We Don't Need No Stinkin Vacation
You're So Innefficient

:nice:

LOL

I think Brian Warner is INF_ due to his heavy existentialist overtones. I have my doubts that any INTP could take what he does as far as he has.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think he could possibly be INTP. But, not all of us are that "gloomy" and "dark". I'm a melancholy to be sure, and I might sound similar to him in an interview (a lot of "processing" while he talks), but he just seems so "dark".

There's a lot of good stuff going on in the world too. Not just everyone being victimized and depressed. Not criticizing him at all, just saying INTP's come in different shades.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
eNTJ trying to create an INxP-esque image. He's always felt very contrived to me.

I notice Ni-dom and Ni-aux artists like to create elaborate images for themselves (often appearing very SP visually - think Madonna, Lady Gaga, Siouxsie Sioux - all ENTJs, IMO, but appear SP on the surface.).

Ne-dom and Ne-aux like to portray "who they are" (especially when paired with Fi), even if it's in some exaggerated manner for stage.

Fecal McAngry

The interviews of him i've seen strike me as an STP. I realize the assumptions on this forum are that STs cannot be creative and such, but that is not consistent with the MBTI literature. There is a bizarre manner in which STPs get confused with INFJs when they lead. I think this is because they share all the same functions, but in a different order. INFJs are intensely private. He is a showman, and an incredible business man. He adores shock value - something that INFJs avoid like the plague. He could be the same type as Madonna. These image intense people are strategists in a way that is not compatible with INFJness. INFJs are not image conscious in this way. Few people in pop culture are INFJs - maybe a few method actors and modest, counterculture musicians.

INFJs are very private, nuanced, complex, inward, hidden. Their expression is not overt, shocking, showman style. The reason I am quicker to call DeNiro an INFJ is because he has the capacity to disappear, observe a sea of details and nuance about people, then recreate using intense empathy. I can't swear to either being INFJ, but I'd place a decent sized bet on DeNiro over MM.

I worked for a male INFJ employer. Not even close.

As an INFJ artist myself i can tell you that shock value and drama is not the dialogue of Ni-Fe, etc. INFJ art is intense understatement and nuance.

Robert De Niro is an INFP, but your point is correct, some fantastic character actors (such as YouTube - Premonition of Sir Alec Guiness ) are/were INFJs.

Getting back to MM, the two most obvious questions you have to ask are

1) What is this person's extroverted function?

2) Does this person extrovert or introvert feeling?

Obviously, in some cases, if you answer the first you answer the second...

Fecal McAngry

eNTJ trying to create an INxP-esque image. He's always felt very contrived to me.

I notice Ni-dom and Ni-aux artists like to create elaborate images for themselves (often appearing very SP visually - think Madonna, Lady Gaga, Siouxsie Sioux - all ENTJs, IMO, but appear SP on the surface.).
Were ESTP Madonna or ISFP Lady Gaga ENTJs, Te would be the predominant function expressed verbally in interviews, as it is for all TJs.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
too many people hang onto this idea that he is INTP because he is iconoclastic and WEIRD... that's just a weak reasoning imo.

Fact: Manson has gone on record saying that the 2 biggest sources for his music are Nietzsche, and the King James bible. While many INTPs love Nietzsche, I don't know many INTPs that would use the bible as an inspirational source for over 15 years of creative work. I assert that Manson is actually a Christian existentialist ala Kierkegaard and is INF, most likely INFJ.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Were ESTP Madonna or ISFP Lady Gaga ENTJs, Te would be the predominant function expressed verbally in interviews, as it is for all TJs.

ESTP and ISFP are their created personae, exactly. I think Madonna seems Te-ish a LOT in interviews.

Fecal McAngry

ESTP and ISFP are their created personae, exactly. I think Madonna seems Te-ish a LOT in interviews.
Madonna's an ESTP, so it is possible to confuse the two, but of course ETJs are far more directive and definitive than ESTPs. An ESTP perceives Se realities in an objective or dispassionate fashion, an ETJ issues objective organizing judgments based on their perceptive function. There is overlap most clearly on answers requiring concision.

The fact that Madonna extroverts feeling is another tip off to her not being an ETJ...

Of course, it is possible that some people create a persona which is only "taken off" in the privacy of their own home--but that's highly unlikely, and with Madonna and most public figures, you've got hundreds of pages of interview material to work with...

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Marilyn Manson is definitely not an extrovert! Just look at the way he talks in any interview. He's quiet, soft-spoken, slightly uncomfortable with having to communicate with another human being face-to-face. He is in his element on-stage and when writing. He creates a larger-than-life persona to do his work for him.

He is very INTP to me.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Fact: Manson has gone on record saying that the 2 biggest sources for his music are Nietzsche, and the King James bible. While many INTPs love Nietzsche, I don't know many INTPs that would use the bible as an inspirational source for over 15 years of creative work. I assert that Manson is actually a Christian existentialist ala Kierkegaard and is INF, most likely INFJ.

Manson uses the Bible the way graffiti artists use public property. I would generally think that defacing something means that you don't respect what it stands for.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP

Ne-dom and Ne-aux like to portray "who they are" (especially when paired with Fi), even if it's in some exaggerated manner for stage.

I can imagine that Madonna would be an ExTJ and I don't know anything about Sioxsie Sioux, but Lady Gaga is certainly not an ENTJ. If you asked me, I'd say she's an INTP too, in almost the same manner as Manson. She is introverted and creates a larger-than-life persona to 'hide' behind. Lady Gaga is not so much an artist as she is an idea; I wouldn't say the same for Madonna. They are two VERY different personalities, the only similarity being that they're both larger-than-life: but in very different ways, and for very different reasons.

I am very certain that Lady Gaga wouldn't want to be Madonna, given the chance. She considers Yoko Ono to be an influence.