• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hours

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just watched this again yesterday and I found the characters so fascinating and forceful that I wanted to type them (or at least attempt to). I don't know if its just me but there are so many people who seem to be INFPs. :blush:

Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) - INFP
Clarrissa Vaughan (Meryl Streep) - ESFJ
Laura Brown (Julianne Moore) - INFP

Richard Brown (Ed Harris) - INFP
Vanessa Bell (Miranda Richardson) - ESFP
Leonard Woolf (Stephen Dillane)- ENTJ
Kitty (Toni Collette) - ESFJ
Louis Waters (Jeff Daniels) - INTP (?)
Julia Vaughan (Claire Danes) - ESxP
Sally Lester (Allison Janney) - ESTP
Dan Brown (John C. Reilly) - ESFJ (?)

Thoughts?

OT: What a cast!!! :shock:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hey there, giving my thoughts as promised. :)

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but your typings seem quite accurate. :yes: I'm curious, though - why INFP for Laura? I thought she came across as kind of a catatonic Fe user at a loss when it came to dealing with her own feelings...

I also believe Richard was an excellent unhealthy 5w4, or maybe 4w5 - like a severely depressed version of Dufayel from Amelie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been a while since I saw the movie, but your typings seem quite accurate. :yes: I'm curious, though - why INFP for Laura? I thought she came across as kind of a catatonic Fe user at a loss when it came to dealing with her own feelings...

My guess is that the poster is responding to her actual decisions + the explanation she offers years later.

I think an issue with determining type is when someone is in a position where they HAVE to learn something new. Typically they end up having to embrace this new knowledge that they have never trusted nor considered before, but it becomes life-changing... and if you judge their type based on it, then you might get a mistaken reading.

I think for Laura, the question is, "Was she an Fe user who finally had to accept the need for an Fi values response to her situation, in order to survive, or was she an Fi user who for years had been suppressed with an Fe overlay but finally came back to herself?" I found Laura to resemble more an ISFJ, who was realizing that what she thought was the right way to behave in her culture was killing her; she didn't seem particularly intuitive at all, she tended to think in concrete ways.

Her role in the movie actually made a big difference in my life, when I had to make a similarly hard decision after a lifetime of ignoring/remaining oblivious to my own needs, and was coming into awareness that I was in a "live or die" situation ... the sort where conventional morality has no bearing on what happens.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm. I read the book "The Hours" (and Mrs Dalloway, which it seems to have been largely based on), but I never saw the film. I gather it might be worth a watch?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I skimmed through the book in Borders one day but never read it -- still, it seemed like there were major differences between movie and book. From what I could tell, I thought Laura's dialogue/struggle was more fleshed out/clarified in the movie version.

Yes, I think the movie is worth seeing, if only for stellar performances by the three stars (Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore) + some great supporting roles by Toni Collete, John C. Reilly, Allison Janey, and Stephen Dillane. (I personally didn't really care much for Ed Harris' version of Richie. It just felt wooden in some way to me.)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hey there, giving my thoughts as promised. :)

I also believe Richard was an excellent unhealthy 5w4, or maybe 4w5 - like a severely depressed version of Dufayel from Amelie.
I can't believe you managed to hunt this down :D

I guess my reasoning with Laura was related to how much she failed to fit the model 50s lifestyle. She doesn't seem like a J - just look at how she goes about baking the cake. She seems flustered, disorganised and distracted. I'm not saying Judgers are great at baking cakes, but that they're approach to doing so would have been more measured and systematic. I also look at the obvious FJ contrast of Kitty. She just bursts with Fe (it is her dominant function) but in comparison Laura seems awkward and struggles to say the right thing both with the small talk and in seeking to comfort Kitty. I suppose it is possible that a depressed IXFJ could exhibit similar behaviour but I still think she's Fi (however I'm inclined to say ISFP may be more likely now).

Richard is definitely either 5w4 or 4w5. His illness restricts him so much (mentally, emotionally and physically) that its hard to know which. Do you have thoughts on the other characters' enneagram types?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My guess is that the poster is responding to her actual decisions + the explanation she offers years later.

I think an issue with determining type is when someone is in a position where they HAVE to learn something new. Typically they end up having to embrace this new knowledge that they have never trusted nor considered before, but it becomes life-changing... and if you judge their type based on it, then you might get a mistaken reading.
This an excellent point. In fact, it is the difficulty in reading any of the characters in the film. Each one of them is confronting the way they approach life and its inability to bring them happiness

I think for Laura, the question is, "Was she an Fe user who finally had to accept the need for an Fi values response to her situation, in order to survive, or was she an Fi user who for years had been suppressed with an Fe overlay but finally came back to herself?" I found Laura to resemble more an ISFJ, who was realizing that what she thought was the right way to behave in her culture was killing her; she didn't seem particularly intuitive at all, she tended to think in concrete ways.
Valid questions :thinking:

I do agree - she is probably a sensor.

Her role in the movie actually made a big difference in my life, when I had to make a similarly hard decision after a lifetime of ignoring/remaining oblivious to my own needs, and was coming into awareness that I was in a "live or die" situation ... the sort where conventional morality has no bearing on what happens.
Wow, really? I love that a film can have such an impact on people that it makes them really rethink things. :)

Hmm. I read the book "The Hours" (and Mrs Dalloway, which it seems to have been largely based on), but I never saw the film. I gather it might be worth a watch?
:yes:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess my reasoning with Laura was related to how much she failed to fit the model 50s lifestyle. She doesn't seem like a J - just look at how she goes about baking the cake. She seems flustered, disorganised and distracted. I'm not saying Judgers are great at baking cakes, but that they're approach to doing so would have been more measured and systematic. I also look at the obvious FJ contrast of Kitty. She just bursts with Fe (it is her dominant function) but in comparison Laura seems awkward and struggles to say the right thing both with the small talk and in seeking to comfort Kitty. I suppose it is possible that a depressed IXFJ could exhibit similar behaviour but I still think she's Fi (however I'm inclined to say ISFP may be more likely now).

Kitty does really seem like Little Miss Super ESFJ, queen of the sea of cultural norms. She knows it, revels in her ability to rule that domain, and gets very anxious when Laura inadvertently nudges her out of it for a minute.

You make a good point about the cake, and I can see why that would suggest her to be more P and trying to conform. I honestly don't know.

My mother is ISFJ, blatantly so, and has the same issues though -- she's not really good at organizing her tasks, or making something look presentable, she tends to flounder in tasks like that and have no idea what to do. I'm going to guess my grandparents did everything and didn't really model those tasks for their kids... I had the same issue her and my dad, neither of them prepared me with the ability to do basic culturally typical tasks and how to get from Point A to Point B.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My mother is ISFJ, blatantly so, and has the same issues though -- she's not really good at organizing her tasks, or making something look presentable, she tends to flounder in tasks like that and have no idea what to do. I'm going to guess my grandparents did everything and didn't really model those tasks for their kids... I had the same issue her and my dad, neither of them prepared me with the ability to do basic culturally typical tasks and how to get from Point A to Point B.
Yeah, my Mum's a ISFJ and she struggles with the same thing. Laura could be a ISFJ contending with her ineptitude at the very things she's meant to be good at (especially under the pressure of 1950s society). Its hard to know.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I can't believe you managed to hunt this down :D

You can thank St. Google for that! :D

Could be... It's been a while since I've watched the movie, you see... ''^_^

Richard is definitely either 5w4 or 4w5. His illness restricts him so much (mentally, emotionally and physically) that its hard to know which. Do you have thoughts on the other characters' enneagram types?

Hmm... I can try.

Clarissa - 2w1? She keeps trying to get Richard out of his shell...
Virginia - 4w5, like she's usually typed IRL, I reckon.
Laura - Perhaps an unhealthy 9w1? Fatalistic and robotic, stuck in a dreamlike state.

I don't remember the rest very well, sorry. :(

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm... I can try.

Clarissa - 2w1? She keeps trying to get Richard out of his shell...
Virginia - 4w5, like she's usually typed IRL, I reckon.
Laura - Perhaps an unhealthy 9w1? Fatalistic and robotic, stuck in a dreamlike state.

I don't remember the rest very well, sorry. :(
I agree with these :yes: . I'm getting interested in enneagram typing so I guess I'll attempt the other ones:

Vanessa - 7w6
Leonard - 1w9
Kitty - 3w2
Louis - 5w6
Julia - 7w6
Sally - 6w7
Dan - 2w3

:shrug: