• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WATCHMEN

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
And I can't believe some people saying that Dr Manhattan is INTJ. That guy was as INTP as they get (i.e. his search for knowledge and understanding without any other purpose aside from obtaining knowledge and understanding).

I agree about Manhattan. And Rorschach as well, but that seems needless to say at this point.

deleted
First time I've seen this thread. The movie sucked, but I completely agree with Edgar on the typing. I felt a connection with Rorschach, I think it was strongly based on the Te/Fi positioning and not N.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
So dudes, what are their types?

My predictions for your (typology central public) interpretations:

Rorschach: INTJ
The Comedian: ESTP
Dr. Manhattan: INTP
Veidt: ISTP/INTJ (I think it'll be mostly a split)
Miss Jupiter: INFJ

So, what do you guys think?
Feel free to type other characters too.

I'm pretty sure Rorschach's an INTJ, though Manhattan seems to be a bit off the scale. I always figured him more un-MBTI-able if anything.
Laurie may be some sort of SP (Artisan)though, and possibly extroverted (from my opinion)

Also, Drieberg's probably some sort of SJ, definitely introverted, which would make him a Guardian. He could also be an NF something as well.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't see how you people think Rorschach and Manhattan were INTJ.

Rorschach is def ISTJ, and Manhattan def INTP.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't see how you people think Rorschach and Manhattan were INTJ.

Rorschach is def ISTJ, and Manhattan def INTP.

Rorschach is most definitely not a Guardian. (SJ) While he upholds a strict moral code, he is a much more cynical and goal-driven. While Guardians have duties to society, Rorschach, a classic Rational (NT) is idea-driven, fighting for an ideal rather than people.

Manhattan, if even applicable, is most likely an INTJ- detatched, science-driven, and imprersonal.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Rorschach is most definitely not a Guardian. (SJ) While he upholds a strict moral code, he is a much more cynical and goal-driven. While Guardians have duties to society, Rorschach, a classic Rational (NT) is idea-driven, fighting for an ideal rather than people.

All types can be cynical. An ISTJ also does not necessarily care about people. ISTJs are still Ts. He is S because he wasn't very intuitive, also very physical. His main information gathering device was beating people up in bars. He was easily tricked into that ambush at Moloch's apartment. He never even considered the possibility that Adrian would know he was coming. He stubbornly clung to the ways he had always done things, right up to the end.

Manhattan, if even applicable, is most likely an INTJ- detatched, science-driven, and imprersonal.

That's a trait of both INTPs and INTJs. The difference I think, is that Manhattan didn't really have a goal, he wasn't driven to do anything, he just wanted to sit back and observe.

deleted
He is S because he wasn't very intuitive

The visual world is very clear to him and he's into the facts. He is also very direct with his words and actions, and impatient, a typical S prospect. I don't see much N in him at all.

He is much more a guardian than the other 3 temperaments.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
The visual world is very clear to him and he's into the facts. He is also very direct with his words and actions, and impatient, a typical S prospect. I don't see much N in him at all.

Pfft. Everyone knows that S is just an absence of N.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I said in my earlier post, I'm currently re-reading the Watchmen graphic novel. It's quite a few years since I last read it in the 80's (I'm an old b**d) and this time I'm trying to view the characters from a typological perspective.

Rorschach is an extremely interesting and well-written character who strikes me as an Introverted Feeling type, which makes him ISFP or INFP. His strong Fi moral values are the guiding principles of his entire life.

His values are, however, extremely black-and-white, which is basically the whole theme of his character: Rorschach blots are composed of black and white shapes which never mingle to form grey.

His auxiliary function is Se, it isn't his dominant because he only seems to switch it on when needed, and at other times he misses some really obvious clues. He uses Se mostly in combat situations, where he demonstrates extraordinary reflexes and a mastery of his immediate environment. He can turn just about any ordinary object into a deadly weapon, for example, he even uses a toilet to kill an enemy in one scene!

He does use Intuition quite a lot, but as a less effective tertiary function, similar to the way that ISPs use it in real life. It's mostly Introverted, he uses it to generate hunches and make broad leaps from a few salient facts, but he seems to understand that they are just speculations which need to be verified by facts, which he trusts more (ie. he prefers S over N). One of his catchphrases is "must investigate further..." meaning he needs to gather more facts (S) to support a theory (N).

Tertiary Ni in ISXP types can get out of hand sometimes, seeing conspiracies and plots everywhere. Although Rorschach was the first to notice the clues behind the wider conspiracy in Watchmen, he was already quite paranoid as a result of his overblown Ni function.

Although he is clearly very intelligent, his inferior Extraverted Thinking function becomes apparent when he tries to apply logic to solve problems.

He starts muttering out loud, it seems to take a great deal of energy and concentration to use this function (at one stage he complains of being "too tired to think") and his conclusions are either too simplistic or excessively complicated.

There are a few wonderful scenes in the novel, when he is working with Nite Owl (who is dominant Si) to solve the mystery. Rorschach gets totally lost in convoluted trains of thought, straining as hard as he can to make sense of the conspiracy using logic (he even explicitly states that this is what he's doing). Then Nite Owl spots a simple yet vital clue using his own Sensing function, which Rorschach had totally missed!

Those two characters were meant to work together, as they complement each other's strengths and weaknesses perfectly.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
All types can be cynical. An ISTJ also does not necessarily care about people. ISTJs are still Ts. He is S because he wasn't very intuitive, also very physical. His main information gathering device was beating people up in bars. He was easily tricked into that ambush at Moloch's apartment. He never even considered the possibility that Adrian would know he was coming. He stubbornly clung to the ways he had always done things, right up to the end.

That's a trait of both INTPs and INTJs. The difference I think, is that Manhattan didn't really have a goal, he wasn't driven to do anything, he just wanted to sit back and observe.

I'm not enturely sure it was stubborn- he questioned the existance of a "mask killer" in the first place. While he used brute force, he also invokes and understands the aspect of fear and influence in the human psyche. He works in a systematic, logical manner, using one of his most efficient means of information-gathering he knows how to do; efficiency is the mark of a Rational.

and while an S would explain many of his ways, I believe he leans more towards the N in a way that he is distant and ostracized from humanity. Now, Walter Kovacs honestly embodies an S alot more, but Rorschach, in my opinion, is much more cold and calculated.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Did Alan Moore like the movie?

He plays no role in any of their conception, (aside from writing the comics in the first place), production, or marketing. Personally, I think it is a wonderful thing he refuses to combine the film and comic industry.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He works in a systematic, logical manner, using one of his most efficient means of information-gathering he knows how to do; efficiency is the mark of a Rational.

No it's not. A person could be and do all those things and be ST, and it's not even a stretch of the imagination.

and while an S would explain many of his ways, I believe he leans more towards the N in a way that he is distant and ostracized from humanity. Now, Walter Kovacs honestly embodies an S alot more, but Rorschach, in my opinion, is much more cold and calculated.

I don't understand what the bold parts have to do with being N or S.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The movie version only:

Rorschach: ISFJ

Dr. Manhattan: INTJ (I suspect Alan Moore is also INTJ and put a lot of himself into Manhattan.)

Ozy: ENTJ

The Comedian: ESTJ

Nite Owl II: INFP

Silk Spectre II: ENFP

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
No it's not. A person could be and do all those things and be ST, and it's not even a stretch of the imagination.

I don't understand what the bold parts have to do with being N or S.

Yup. Your conception of what S and N are is off.