User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: WATCHMEN

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Shorties are people too!
    Yes, but they're people people, and that's just unhygienic.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

As I said in my earlier post, I'm currently re-reading the Watchmen graphic novel. It's quite a few years since I last read it in the 80's (I'm an old b**d) and this time I'm trying to view the characters from a typological perspective.

Rorschach is an extremely interesting and well-written character who strikes me as an Introverted Feeling type, which makes him ISFP or INFP. His strong Fi moral values are the guiding principles of his entire life.

His values are, however, extremely black-and-white, which is basically the whole theme of his character: Rorschach blots are composed of black and white shapes which never mingle to form grey.

His auxiliary function is Se, it isn't his dominant because he only seems to switch it on when needed, and at other times he misses some really obvious clues. He uses Se mostly in combat situations, where he demonstrates extraordinary reflexes and a mastery of his immediate environment. He can turn just about any ordinary object into a deadly weapon, for example, he even uses a toilet to kill an enemy in one scene!

He does use Intuition quite a lot, but as a less effective tertiary function, similar to the way that ISPs use it in real life. It's mostly Introverted, he uses it to generate hunches and make broad leaps from a few salient facts, but he seems to understand that they are just speculations which need to be verified by facts, which he trusts more (ie. he prefers S over N). One of his catchphrases is "must investigate further..." meaning he needs to gather more facts (S) to support a theory (N).

Tertiary Ni in ISXP types can get out of hand sometimes, seeing conspiracies and plots everywhere. Although Rorschach was the first to notice the clues behind the wider conspiracy in Watchmen, he was already quite paranoid as a result of his overblown Ni function.

Although he is clearly very intelligent, his inferior Extraverted Thinking function becomes apparent when he tries to apply logic to solve problems.

He starts muttering out loud, it seems to take a great deal of energy and concentration to use this function (at one stage he complains of being "too tired to think") and his conclusions are either too simplistic or excessively complicated.

There are a few wonderful scenes in the novel, when he is working with Nite Owl (who is dominant Si) to solve the mystery. Rorschach gets totally lost in convoluted trains of thought, straining as hard as he can to make sense of the conspiracy using logic (he even explicitly states that this is what he's doing). Then Nite Owl spots a simple yet vital clue using his own Sensing function, which Rorschach had totally missed!

Those two characters were meant to work together, as they complement each other's strengths and weaknesses perfectly.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

deleted

Did Alan Moore like the movie?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Probably not.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

He said he won't even bother watching it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    All types can be cynical. An ISTJ also does not necessarily care about people. ISTJs are still Ts. He is S because he wasn't very intuitive, also very physical. His main information gathering device was beating people up in bars. He was easily tricked into that ambush at Moloch's apartment. He never even considered the possibility that Adrian would know he was coming. He stubbornly clung to the ways he had always done things, right up to the end.

That's a trait of both INTPs and INTJs. The difference I think, is that Manhattan didn't really have a goal, he wasn't driven to do anything, he just wanted to sit back and observe.

I'm not enturely sure it was stubborn- he questioned the existance of a "mask killer" in the first place. While he used brute force, he also invokes and understands the aspect of fear and influence in the human psyche. He works in a systematic, logical manner, using one of his most efficient means of information-gathering he knows how to do; efficiency is the mark of a Rational.

and while an S would explain many of his ways, I believe he leans more towards the N in a way that he is distant and ostracized from humanity. Now, Walter Kovacs honestly embodies an S alot more, but Rorschach, in my opinion, is much more cold and calculated.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Did Alan Moore like the movie?
    He plays no role in any of their conception, (aside from writing the comics in the first place), production, or marketing. Personally, I think it is a wonderful thing he refuses to combine the film and comic industry.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by plaguerat View Post
    He works in a systematic, logical manner, using one of his most efficient means of information-gathering he knows how to do; efficiency is the mark of a Rational.
    No it's not. A person could be and do all those things and be ST, and it's not even a stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by plaguerat View Post
    and while an S would explain many of his ways, I believe he leans more towards the N in a way that he is distant and ostracized from humanity. Now, Walter Kovacs honestly embodies an S alot more, but Rorschach, in my opinion, is much more cold and calculated.
    I don't understand what the bold parts have to do with being N or S.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The movie version only:

Rorschach: ISFJ

Dr. Manhattan: INTJ (I suspect Alan Moore is also INTJ and put a lot of himself into Manhattan.)

Ozy: ENTJ

The Comedian: ESTJ

Nite Owl II: INFP

Silk Spectre II: ENFP
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No it's not. A person could be and do all those things and be ST, and it's not even a stretch of the imagination.

I don't understand what the bold parts have to do with being N or S.
    Yup. Your conception of what S and N are is off.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin