Thread: WATCHMEN

MBTI
    INTJ

rorshack, I think would be an ESFJ.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by xx00oo00xx View Post
    I don't get why Dr. Manhattan is a J, not a P. He only made the decisions he had to, he really didn't plan anything himself. And despite the fact that he could see far enough into the future to know what was gonna happen (even when the long-term was cloudy), he always seemed to second guess what was going to happen and worry instead of moving decisively with what he had. He almost seemed like he was what every INTP wishes he or she could be. Yes? No?
    All of what you bring up is entirely the result of being introverted.

P and J, if they come into play here, are only responsible for the fact that Manhattan took on the responsibilities he did have -- the J being more inclined to take on that kind of a project.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I go by overall look and feel, not particular function use -- because everyone is unique and can (and does) develop functions that aren't normal for their type. We're all deviations that way.

Rorschach: ISTJ, although Paranoid/Antisocial disorder is probably playing strongly there and makes him very J.

Ozymandius: probably ENTJ.

Silk Spectre II: ISFP.

Nite Owl II: ISFJ.

Dr Manhattan: INTx

The Comedian: ESTP, pretty quintessentially. He and Ozy would have had much more in common if he had been an N. He's not transcendent in the ways that N's are, he's engaged and immersed in the world around him.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    All of what you bring up is entirely the result of being introverted.

P and J, if they come into play here, are only responsible for the fact that Manhattan took on the responsibilities he did have -- the J being more inclined to take on that kind of a project.
    I think the balance is there. People may assume his concept of time is a strong indicative of Ni dominance, however that was exactly what he saw, it wasn't really intuitive perception and imagining a future possibility, it was actually seeing a future possibility. Dr. Manhattan is so difficult to type for the same reason God is difficult to type: he isn't really human anymore. If anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course. I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come. I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

The Comedian: ESTP, pretty quintessentially. He and Ozy would have had much more in common if he had been an N. He's not transcendent in the ways that N's are, he's engaged and immersed in the world around him.
    I'm with Nocap on this one. Ne dominant, when he burns the map during that first meeting, his whole diatribe is full of doomsaying. Veidt actually says in the novel that The Comedian was the only one who fully understood the world as it was and shares Veidt's understanding of humanity, but unlike Veidt who wanted to be it's savior, The Comedian simply accepted it and immersed himself into its reality for pleasure.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think the balance is there. People may assume his concept of time is a strong indicative of Ni dominance, however that was exactly what he saw, it wasn't really intuitive perception and imagining a future possibility, it was actually seeing a future possibility. Dr. Manhattan is so difficult to type for the same reason God is difficult to type: he isn't really human anymore. If anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course. I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come. I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.
    Cosmic Awareness tends to defy accuracy in classification, as the act itself is outside of our shared experience to reasonably describe. In that sense, it's causally similar to evaluating profound mental illness against an MBTI standard.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    IIf anything, you can argue P simply because he sees what will happen...and passively allows things to take their course.
    Again, this could be the result of introversion. I've never seen an INTJ who takes everything head on. They'll no doubt be very strong in their individual charges, but even if they are aware or anything outside of these, they're likely to do just that -- act "P".
    I think if a J could see the future, he would force that reality to happen through action instead of waiting for it to come.
    If only you could perceive time like he could...
    I think because of his ability to see effects before causes occur [to us at least] essentially makes a J or P discussion irrelevant, since J and P partially describe how one does effect the external world.
    How about this: He sees how everything will be, because he knows when to act and when to wait.

I'm with Nocap on this one. Ne dominant, when he burns the map during that first meeting, his whole diatribe is full of doomsaying. Veidt actually says in the novel that The Comedian was the only one who fully understood the world as it was and shares Veidt's understanding of humanity, but unlike Veidt who wanted to be it's savior, The Comedian simply accepted it and immersed himself into its reality for pleasure.
    Yeah, this isn't even a question.

He's engaged and immersed, sure, but it's only as he's making himself an analogic mockery of his culture. His awareness is still pretty global, even when he appears to be consumed by his immediate circumstance.

Actually, my suspicion is, he only wants to be what he appears to be, but I might be kind of biased in saying that.

I still think I'm right.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

The Comedian: disgruntled ENTJ

Dr Manhattan: INTJ

Ozymandias: Slight E, ENTJ

Nite Owl II: Slight S, ISFJ

Silk Spectre II: ISFP

Silk Spectre I: ESFP (J?)

Rorschach: ISTJ

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I can understand where the confusion comes in, but he is clearly Ne dominant. His gross behavior is overwhelming and more consistent with the usual habit of attitude of stereotypical ESTPs, but when you hear him talk, it's obvious that his attention is less focused on the concrete and more toward the abstract. Look at the things he discusses -- he never talks about anything. His dialog seems compelled to objectify abstract things like problems (the one quote where he put Veidt down) among other examples.
    ENTP.
    Yeah I can see this too. To me he often talks like an ENTP, but he is very engaged in his environment. He's a character that doesn't precisely fit into one type, but he's pretty close to ENTP or ESTP.

No way... he's so nostaligic and shy... avoids being obtrusive (rarely an ESTJ thing). He's definitely an introvert.
    Shy does not mean introvert. There are plenty of shy extraverts. Bright tech-oriented ESTJ's usually tend to be pretty shy. In his case, his shyness has more to do with lack of confidence than introversion. On the other hand his huge obsession with using technology shows him to be Te dominant.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Shy does not mean introvert. There are plenty of shy extraverts. Bright tech-oriented ESTJ's usually tend to be pretty shy. In his case, his shyness has more to do with lack of confidence than introversion. On the other hand his huge obsession with using technology shows him to be Te dominant.
    I assure you I'm aware of the fact that shyness hasn't got a direct connection with extroversion. But shy combined with nostalgic is actually rather alluding. It makes Si really obvious.

Technology has nothing to do with Te.
    Neither has obsession.
    Actually obsession with any one thing is more likely from introversion (subject vs. object dynamic).

I really don't see how you even see Thinking. He didn't make the technology, he just happens to use it because he could afford it.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ

So dudes, what are their types?

My predictions for your (typology central public) interpretations:

Rorschach: INTJ
    Rorschach was not an INTJ, he was a disillusioned ISTJ.

No INTJ would be so bent up on morality, and stubbornly doing "the right thing" (at the end of the movie) even if it fucks up everything else.

And I can't believe some people saying that Dr Manhattan is INTJ. That guy was as INTP as they get (i.e. his search for knowledge and understanding without any other purpose aside from obtaining knowledge and understanding).
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.